Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

So nut material does not matter for tone?

I called this shop the other day to see how much a bone nut installation would be and the guy talked me out of it. His reasoning is that nut material only really matters for two things: 1. String movement for trem users and 2. Tone for open chord players only. The idea is that once you put your fingers on a fret the string is dead between your finger and the nut, thus cancelling out any tone improvements. Thoughts?

ModestMussorgsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMussorgsy View Post
I called this shop the other day to see how much a bone nut installation would be and the guy talked me out of it. His reasoning is that nut material only really matters for two things: 1. String movement for trem users and 2. Tone for open chord players only. The idea is that once you put your fingers on a fret the string is dead between your finger and the nut, thus cancelling out any tone improvements. Thoughts?
Other than any possible vibration the nut couples to the peghead/neck area; however in practice this should not be noticeable.

I agree with your tech - a fretted note will not really have much tone coming from the bypassed nut.

There is a 3rd reason - snob appeal/"I heard this is the only good nut"

However if you have a cheap guitar with a hollow plastic molded nut and pre-cut string grooves, you may get a better sound with a solid nut, be it bone, plastic, whatever.
davidKOS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I think the nut only matters on open strings as far as how the nut "sounds". A good nut is more important for tuning stability and good intonation.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yep. I agree with the tech. I'd only replace a nut if it was giving me tuning problems.
mw13068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I also agree with the tech. Fretted notes take the nut out of the equation. I know that some folks feel differently about this but that's what I've come to believe. Therefore, I've never felt the need to change the nut on an electric guitar to improve the sound.

On the other hand, it may be worth considering if you have an acoustic guitar and play a lot of cowboy chords. There does seem to be an improvement in the clarity of tone and sustain with a bone nut on an acoustic when playing open chords. Not anything earth shattering, but a small improvement, I'd say....
Gburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

leave what you have on their it doesn't make a noticable difference
Stratattack72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I generally only replace the nut if its giving a problem or broken.

It could help on the acoustic

Upgrading the saddle on an acoustic guitar is a good bang for the buck. You can add in a better one, get it sitting nicely in the bridge, and maybe even get it compensated, or buy a compensated one.

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

You've got a good tech. He would have profited, by talking you into replacing the nut. I would tend to trust this guy in the future, to give me a square deal.

Smart tech's are scarce enough, to find one that is smart, and honest too, is golden.
Gene Warner
retired repairman
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
You've got a good tech. He would have profited, by talking you into replacing the nut. I would tend to trust this guy in the future, to give me a square deal.

Smart tech's are scarce enough, to find one that is smart, and honest too, is golden.
Gene Warner
retired repairman
Listen to the man...Gene has posted lots of valuable tech advice on this forum.
davidKOS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

There is altogether too much concern about nuts, frets, and saddles concerning tone. All three represent nodes when the string is vibrating (nodes are the points where the string is NOT vibrating).

When nuts, frets, and saddles are doing what they are supposed to be doing, they are doing it at the places where the vibrating string is "do nothing".

Tone comes overwhelmingly from the hands of the guitarist.
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I think tone is determined by the amp more than the hands.

The Strat-Talk App did this...

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

What about a guitar with brass saddles and bridge, brass nuts, and the fact that most frets are brass ? (with nickel added for color)
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I agree with your tech also. Although you do need to check the screws holding the pickguard down as those REALLY make a difference in tone...I prefer brass ;-)
jtees4 is offline   Reply With Quote