Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Stratocaster Tremolo system replacement.

Hi

I have a American Standard Strat from around 2003. The tremolo system is damaged and I need a replacement. Instead of getting the same bridge model I was thinking if the newer bridges for models 2008 and beyond would fit my 2003 guitar without any major modification?

Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

What kind of trem system do you already have (is it a modern "2-post" model or the traditional 6-screw vintage style) ?

And what newer bridges do you have in mind ?
BOD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

American Standard from that year would have had a 2-point. With a bit of work you could put in a vintage-style or something like a Wilkinson will work..........how is the trem damaged?
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member!

I have the 2 way system that has been used from 1986 until 2007 (2 screws not 6). On the 2008 models Fender came up with new system that combined the modern and vintage bridges and with new materials. My concern is if the new ones fits my strat body.

My young son got a hold of my guitar 2 years ago and somhow bent the bar so it won┤t fit the hole properly, i┤ve tried a new bar but something has damaged inside the hole. But even if it┤s not damaged I like to try the new bridge.

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It's probably the screw thread in the tremolo block that has been damaged.

One option is this Callahan one -

Callaham Vintage Guitars and Parts (Am Std Strat Upgrades)

It retains the original flat chrome plate of your current tremolo but replaces the block, bridge pieces and trem arm.

(you can see how to fit this here http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech...-standard.html )

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member!

Thanks alot, I will try this Callaham upgrade kit.

I┤m reading some reviews and forums about this upgrade and some say this has more effect on tone than a pickup change. Can that be so?

Your instructions are so great and detailed.

What arm did you get, the 64" or Fender length?

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I can't really comment on any tonal differences, but there's already a thread discussing that here

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech...ock-worth.html

I changed mine more for aesthetic reasons - I've always preferred the look/feel of vintage style saddles and a vintage-look trem arm. I'm happy with the result - I have to say the Callaham gear is very well engineered.

I got the Fender length arm - it's what I'm accustomed to.

Old January 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member!

i have a question. i have a 2009 squier deluxe strat that im turning into a american strat, i wanted to know if the american standard strat 2 point bridge will fit where my squier 2 point bridge is? will i have to do some adjusting with studs or will i have to put in the american studs for the bridge to fit?
puertoricanfl15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member!

I don't know if it would be your thing, but I'd check out the tremking tk-1 unit. I'm looking for a strat right now just to install one on. If you've got a bad bridge assembly anyway....

Trem-King, the fixed bridge vibrato systems
Trem-King, the fixed bridge vibrato systems
okieactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I'm fitting a Trem King to my latest partscaster. I had to do a bit more 'woodwork, than it sounded like I was going to need!! I'm glad I was working on a bare body! I don't have a router so I used chisels and I'm happy with the result. It seems to work very well. I haven't gigged iot yet so yet to see how it stays in tune when really worked, or if it breaks strings (no problems so far, but really only spent 1/2 hour messing around to make sure it all works)
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster Tremolo system replacement.-trem-king-front.jpg  Stratocaster Tremolo system replacement.-trem-king-rear.jpg  
muso.greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Left is right!

The simplest fix to the original problem is a replacement block (and arm) from GFS or one of the other makers out there. No wood working required!

It's true that the saddles and block do effect tone and sustain, but not "more than pickups". For my ears, the traditional bent steel saddles are best, though milled solid types are good too; just not the light weight cast metal ones. The full size block is best too, but not the brass ones as they do weird things to the sound.