Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Output Jack Too Tight From Factory

Hello. I recently purchased a 2013 American Standard Stratocaster and found that when I took it home, the output jack was loose. I tried tightening it myself but did not have the correct tools and did not want to scratch it. I took it into Guitar Center today and they tightened it up but they said that there was even a bigger problem then it being loose. Apparently when it came out of the factory, it was not installed properly so when you go to plug in the guitar cable it will not insert all the way and feels like it is way to tight. The signal is perfectly clean when plugged into an amp although it really is a nuisance trying to plug in and unplug the guitar cable. I have to take it back in two days two get it looked at and repaired/altered by the in-house guitar technician. I don't think they are going to charge me but I do have questions for anyone viewing this thread. Have any of you had this problem with new Strat's? Also, is this something that I can repair myself? And lastly, If I get it repaired and altered to function correctly, does that take away its value after 25 years when it goes vintage. Silly question I know but, hey, I plan on holding on to this geetur a long time.

Fender+Vox=Rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Hope that I can word this so that it makes sense to you. (I'm not the greatest explainer)
I had touble once when I took my jack out to tighten it. My problem was that when I tightened it I did not have the plate that the end of the jack rests on in the proper position, I took it back apart. Loosened the nut, spun the jack itself about a 1/4 turn and put it back together.

Because yours does plug in but not all the way? correct? you may only have to turn it ever so slightly and you should be fine.

Old December 30th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel109 View Post
Hope that I can word this so that it makes sense to you. (I'm not the greatest explainer)
I had touble once when I took my jack out to tighten it. My problem was that when I tightened it I did not have the plate that the end of the jack rests on in the proper position, I took it back apart. Loosened the nut, spun the jack itself about a 1/4 turn and put it back together.

Because yours does plug in but not all the way? correct? you may only have to turn it ever so slightly and you should be fine.
I agree with this, I've seen it.
Surely someone you know has a socket set and a Phillips screwdriver.
It's an easy fix.
jimmiraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

^^
Different version:
It is possible the spring contact on the jack socket is not in the correct place and resting against the side of the socket rout so there is no give when the plug is inserted.
Undo the screws holding the plate to the body and check the long flat metal bit with the kinked end is towards the bottom of the hole it fits in. If not undo the nut and rotate the socket until it is in the correct position and retighten the nut.
Skinny Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for the input Carmel109 and jimmiraz. The guys at Guitar Center said that the technician would take care of it without charge. It just surprises me that the Carona Factory put there factory stamp of approval on it before they shipped it to the retailer. I'm not questioning there craftsmanship at all by any means. I just wish I didn't have to go through this after making the purchase. She does play like a dream though. Here is a photo of the beauty. Her name is Cassandra. imgur: the simple image sharer

Old December 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Skinny Nitro, I think that is exactly what the problem is. The guitar salespeople said something along those lines. I am not the most handy person, so I rarely do any maintenance to my guitars unless I am positive I know I can fix it. I once took apart my first learning epiphone les paul junior apart to see how it works with the plan of putting it back together, although I put most of it back together, the electronics are still disassembled.

Old January 4th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

From your story I don't think the jack was mis-oriented at factory.

Sounds rather that it was simply loose and your tech guy tightened it up in the wrong position.
That would explain why he was willing to re-do it free.

Best not to confront him on that however;
have him fix it and everyone saves face.
nazaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote