Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Bridge lifting

Getting a strange problem, my bridge is lifting when I tune my guitar. Happened after I used the tremlo arm for the first time in years. Back of bridge is about 1/4 inch off the body instead of a few mm.

MostroS2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Your string pull is greater than the pull of the trem springs in the rear cavity.

Slip a piece of wood in behind the bridge string block in the rear cavity to prevent the bridge from pulling up. then tune to proper pitch. Then slowly tighten the springs a little at a time until the piece of wood just slips out from behind the string block.

Your strings & springs should now be in balance at the correct pitch and the bridge should no longer lift when you tune.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.
MostroS2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

That's a great technique to get the spring tension equal to string tension. Wish I'd have thought of that.
paleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
Your string pull is greater than the pull of the trem springs in the rear cavity.

Slip a piece of wood in behind the bridge string block in the rear cavity to prevent the bridge from pulling up. then tune to proper pitch. Then slowly tighten the springs a little at a time until the piece of wood just slips out from behind the string block.

Your strings & springs should now be in balance at the correct pitch and the bridge should no longer lift when you tune.
sweet tip.. many thanks.. much faster than my way.. which in retrospect seems quite stupid now.. hehe!!..........laters,chuck
chuckdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdup View Post
sweet tip.. many thanks.. much faster than my way.. which in retrospect seems quite stupid now.. hehe!!..........laters,chuck
I'd like to take credit for that, but I can't. I got it from Dan Erlwine's book "Guitar Repair for Guitarists". Lot's of great tips in this book. I recommend it.

Old April 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

thats great it works fine!! i have a question though. i have my strat set with a gap at the rear of the bridge of about 3/32" (its is about 2.4mm). is diffrent the fender's specs.
what about the 2 pivot screws. Do they had to be tight down to the body?
i appreciate any answer.
thank you all
viccelles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccelles View Post
thats great it works fine!! i have a question though. i have my strat set with a gap at the rear of the bridge of about 3/32" (its is about 2.4mm). is diffrent the fender's specs.
what about the 2 pivot screws. Do they had to be tight down to the body?
i appreciate any answer.
thank you all
The pivot screws (on a two point trem) don't have to be tight down. In fact they can be used to raise or lower the bridge to some degree to adjust your action. The bridge plate will still balance on them regardless of how low or high they are.

Old April 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
The pivot screws (on a two point trem) don't have to be tight down. In fact they can be used to raise or lower the bridge to some degree to adjust your action. The bridge plate will still balance on them regardless of how low or high they are.
thank you very much i appreciate quick response i got the answer i wanted. thanx again. be good
viccelles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

would adding more treme springs fix that problem? or does it need ot be done this way..?
dfosterinc775 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfosterinc775 View Post
would adding more treme springs fix that problem? or does it need ot be done this way..?
you can add spring. also you can just tighten the springs and retune a few times. this method is just a shortcut to adjust the trem to a certain float height.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote