Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum



Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com


Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
MostroS2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rockland, Ontario Canada
Posts: 18
Bridge lifting

Getting a strange problem, my bridge is lifting when I tune my guitar. Happened after I used the tremlo arm for the first time in years. Back of bridge is about 1/4 inch off the body instead of a few mm.

MostroS2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
orcslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ajax, Canada
Age: 66
Posts: 1,439
Your string pull is greater than the pull of the trem springs in the rear cavity.

Slip a piece of wood in behind the bridge string block in the rear cavity to prevent the bridge from pulling up. then tune to proper pitch. Then slowly tighten the springs a little at a time until the piece of wood just slips out from behind the string block.

Your strings & springs should now be in balance at the correct pitch and the bridge should no longer lift when you tune.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
MostroS2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rockland, Ontario Canada
Posts: 18
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.
MostroS2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master
 
paleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arkansas
Age: 24
Posts: 883
That's a great technique to get the spring tension equal to string tension. Wish I'd have thought of that.
paleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: birmingham
Age: 53
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
Your string pull is greater than the pull of the trem springs in the rear cavity.

Slip a piece of wood in behind the bridge string block in the rear cavity to prevent the bridge from pulling up. then tune to proper pitch. Then slowly tighten the springs a little at a time until the piece of wood just slips out from behind the string block.

Your strings & springs should now be in balance at the correct pitch and the bridge should no longer lift when you tune.
sweet tip.. many thanks.. much faster than my way.. which in retrospect seems quite stupid now.. hehe!!..........laters,chuck
chuckdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
orcslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ajax, Canada
Age: 66
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdup View Post
sweet tip.. many thanks.. much faster than my way.. which in retrospect seems quite stupid now.. hehe!!..........laters,chuck
I'd like to take credit for that, but I can't. I got it from Dan Erlwine's book "Guitar Repair for Guitarists". Lot's of great tips in this book. I recommend it.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: greece
Age: 39
Posts: 14
thats great it works fine!! i have a question though. i have my strat set with a gap at the rear of the bridge of about 3/32" (its is about 2.4mm). is diffrent the fender's specs.
what about the 2 pivot screws. Do they had to be tight down to the body?
i appreciate any answer.
thank you all
viccelles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
orcslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ajax, Canada
Age: 66
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by viccelles View Post
thats great it works fine!! i have a question though. i have my strat set with a gap at the rear of the bridge of about 3/32" (its is about 2.4mm). is diffrent the fender's specs.
what about the 2 pivot screws. Do they had to be tight down to the body?
i appreciate any answer.
thank you all
The pivot screws (on a two point trem) don't have to be tight down. In fact they can be used to raise or lower the bridge to some degree to adjust your action. The bridge plate will still balance on them regardless of how low or high they are.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: greece
Age: 39
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
The pivot screws (on a two point trem) don't have to be tight down. In fact they can be used to raise or lower the bridge to some degree to adjust your action. The bridge plate will still balance on them regardless of how low or high they are.
thank you very much i appreciate quick response i got the answer i wanted. thanx again. be good
viccelles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker
 
dfosterinc775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: FERNLEY, NV
Age: 51
Posts: 123
would adding more treme springs fix that problem? or does it need ot be done this way..?
dfosterinc775 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
i know nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arcadia
Posts: 5,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfosterinc775 View Post
would adding more treme springs fix that problem? or does it need ot be done this way..?
you can add spring. also you can just tighten the springs and retune a few times. this method is just a shortcut to adjust the trem to a certain float height.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Std. bridge vs. Mexican bridge LeftyBlake Tech-Talk 3 November 17th, 2009 07:04 PM
2 pint bridge vs 6 point vintage bridge metamp Stratocaster Discussion Forum 1 September 22nd, 2009 02:59 PM
Squier Bullet Bridge Vs. MIM Bridge Shades of Blue Stratocaster Discussion Forum 1 May 9th, 2009 12:37 PM
Bridge Help. Bosshogg Tech-Talk 12 April 14th, 2009 11:11 AM
TBX with a Tex-Mex bridge pup? Sprocket Tech-Talk 3 April 10th, 2009 10:30 AM

Untitled Document

Untitled Document

» Recent Strat-Talk Discussion
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



 


Design by: vBulletin Skins Zone
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2


The words Fender®, Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
Strat-Talk.com is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
© 2007 All rights reserved.

Strat-Talk.com is not responsible for the content posted by private individuals on this website. The views expressed herein are solely the opinions of the individuals that produced them and not necessarily the views of the owner of this website.