Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

question about adjusting bridge height

So i have a mexi strat, put a new set of strings on the other day and broke me high e string, thought nothing of it then noticed that my bridge height was alot higher than usual. Which i think is messing with my tuning quite a bit, my question is how can i go about fixing this?

Ive never really messed with the bridge set up before, and although its never been sat flush to the body i would like lower it and make sure i dont lose anymore strings to this.

I dont have any pics atm. but when i was going to put a replacement string on looking through the back it was very hard to see the holes due to the angle and how much the bridge has raised.

any help welcome, sorry for the wall of text lol

Chris0010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Well if you put heavier strings on it it will pull the bridge more forward. I dont know if that would cause strings to break or not. But the Fender floating bridge is a personal choice from player to player. Mine is flat. I adjusted the two claw screws in the back cavity till the bridge was resting flat on the body. Be sure and detune all your strings before you tighten the claw screws.

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

How much of an angle is the bridge set at? The back of bridge should only be raised by about 1/8" or so.Are your saddles too far forward-[have you set intonation] sounds like the string has too many extreme contact angles.Check out some set up guides for trem olo on Fender site Stratocaster
CeltRocka is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 12th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

hmm i not sure by how much it is raised so i will post pics later.

Old May 12th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

It is becoming common for Fender to ship guitars with half-ass nuts. The high E string is the give-away.

At the same time, many guitar "techs" refuse to mess with the nut. That won't work.

So, while you are adjusting the bridge (good idea IMO) find some very fine sandpaper and GENTLY work the inside edges of those slots. Or just have a competent luthier do it. Finally, use light machine (3 in 1, etc.) on the bridge saddles and on the nut.

Cheers
Flyingjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

ok heres some pics of the problem http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...P100513007.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...P100513006.jpg

let me know what u think.

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Wow, thats flying not floating! you need to slacken off the strings and tighten the claw screws in the cavity at the back of the guitar under the back plate.
petervv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Hey Chris if you take the back cover off there are two screws you can tighten, that will bring the bridge down hopefully back to the point where it was. The other thing you can do is put more springs on, to a maximum of 5. That may or may not be necessary, you will know once you have tightened the screws. Be careful not to slip with the screwdriver as you dont want to scratch the finish on your guitar - which is very nice by the way!
Regards
Kyri
Attached Images

Kyri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

You need to add a spring or two. Your trem should be down on the body of the guitar or just barely above it. When you tune it up, the bridge should not move.
Think of it as a balancing act with the strings pulling one way and your sptings pulling the other way.
Your guitar is in between the two - get it?
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey there Kyri - it looks like your screw driver slipped once eh?

Old May 13th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

thanx for the advice guys, tomorow i will take the back off and see what i can do, il update you on how it went :-)

Old May 13th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflintmac View Post
Hey there Kyri - it looks like your screw driver slipped once eh?
I have to admit that I have done that before but not on the guitar pictured. The picture shown was of a refinish of a battered old body that already had the marks on it... http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stra...pray-help.html

Old May 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0010 View Post
Chris what is the pickup at the bridge, does it sound good?

Old May 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

its a seymour duncan hotrails, one word to describe it would be Beefy

Old May 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

ok so a little update on the situation, i took the back off had a look at the screws attempted to tighten them but they are already tight as can be. I'm not sure where to go from here, im guessing i need to add some more springs? are these expensive?

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

i think you need to get a luthier to look at it if you're not confident doing it yourself....... If the claw screws are in as far as they can go there's something else that's wrong.

1: How many tremolo springs are fitted at the moment? (As a rule of thumb, if you want to float your tremolo and have a nice easy action on the arm 3 is normally ample)

2: What gauge strings are you using? (The average is 10 - 46.... If the guitar was set up originally with those and you've gone an put on the wrong gauge strings then there may lie your issue)

3: Are you tuned to concert pitch... did you use a tuner? (don't be offended by this, but the amount of people that I know that tune way to high... even my black strat when I got it back from the luthier had been set up with the strings tuned a whole tone down)

4: The issue may well be a mixture all of the above

Answer these questions and we may be able to guide you more

“My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour
bettsaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Springs are cheap.

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

my mim deluxe roadhouse came from the factor set up nearly that high floated fwiw. but my my claw was WAY far loosened down.
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

But before the OP adds more springs he should check all the other things that could be wrong...... If he's only using 2 springs and heavy gauge strings then that would cause it... I think it's something else if the claw screws have no more room to be screwed in.......

When he tried to screw the claw screws in did he loosten the strings off??.... I'm not assuming the guy knows nothing about guitars but you have to be literal and look at the obvious things first. With that level of angle on the bridge plate if he tried screwing in the claw screws WITHOUT loostening the strings he would have trouble screwing them in.

“My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour
bettsaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsaj View Post
But before the OP adds more springs he should check all the other things that could be wrong...... If he's only using 2 springs and heavy gauge strings then that would cause it... I think it's something else if the claw screws have no more room to be screwed in.......

When he tried to screw the claw screws in did he loosten the strings off??.... I'm not assuming the guy knows nothing about guitars but you have to be literal and look at the obvious things first. With that level of angle on the bridge plate if he tried screwing in the claw screws WITHOUT loostening the strings he would have trouble screwing them in.
is he saying that it won't screw in anymore or that he just ran out of room? i assumed hed back the claw to the top of the cavity.
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote