Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old September 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

S1 wiring HELP PLEASE

So I wanted to use my neck and bridge pickup together but but I didn't like the look of the push/push or push/pull with the knob lifted up off the plate anyhow I went with the S1 but after receiving yesterday I have no Idea how to wire it and have found no helpful diagrams online. Can someone give me some specific diagrams or directions on how to do this?

mmorris17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

This might help
grumpy old git is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old git View Post
wow! gonna have to look carefully to make sure i follow the wires just right. Also whats up with the selector? it looks bigger and says something about brass plate... also will i need a new cap? this looks a little intense...

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 1st, 2010, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Waaaaaay beyond me I'm afraid. The brass plate will be on most selectors (or some other metal). Did you not get the cap with the switch?

I found that schematic on axesrus.co.uk under the S1 listing, I knew I'd seen one somewhere. On the bottom it says it's page 2 of 4, it could be worth having a look on Fender.com to see what the other pages are.

Good luck

PS Gilmour switch not an option?

Last edited by grumpy old git; October 1st, 2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Bad spalin
grumpy old git is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

That diagram is for the S1 switch as fitted to an American Deluxe (or similar). The Deluxe has non-standard pickups with 3 wires rather than the usual 2. In this case, what the S1 switch does it introduce a second "mode" of switching - in one position you get the normal 5 Strat sounds, and in the other position you get different combinations of the pickups.

If you're wanting to use the S1 switch with standard pickups then I'm afraid that diagram won't really help.
BOD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Ok, with a little digging I found this info on the Fender Community forum -

Fender Community

The S1 switch is a 4-pole, double throw switch. It has 12 contacts. One set of 4 contacts is connected to another set of 4 contacts when the switch is "off" and then to the remaining set of 4 contacts when it is "on".

It's a bit like having two standard DPDT (double pole, double throw) switches that work in tandem, and you don't need to use all of the contacts. So you can actually make it work like one DPDT switch if that's what you need.

If you use the diagram with a multi-meter you'll be able to identify which contacts connect to what.

Next, what you need to do is figure out exactly what switching options you would like and then determine if the S1 switch can do it for you.

Old October 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

hmm... this sounds easy however i really am an amateur if i have a clear cut diagram for which wires go where i can solder it but thats about it i dont understand the technical side of it... also no i didnt get a cap i wasnt told it would be needed (thanks GC) this seems easier but i am still confused as to which wires go where...

Old October 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I think i'm like half way understanding it... im not sure where the grounds would be soldered for 1 and 2 im not sure as to the which wires come and go where thing. I do understand what you are saying about the 4,4, and 4 thing especially with the first diagram but the second one confuses me. sorry.

Old October 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

actually will this diagram work?

Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

The grounds all go to a single common point - usually the shell of one of the pots. They can usually be ignored when working out a switching sequence.

That second diagram in the Fender community forum link is for a 5-way "Superswitch" which is installed on the American Deluxe along with the S1 switch. You can ignore that part !

Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It would be fairly easy to wire the S1 switch so that it swapped the positions of the middle and neck pickups on the 5-position switch, for example.

That would give you B,BM,M,MN,N on one position of the S1 switch and then B,BN,N,NM,M on the other position of the S1 switch (where B-Bridge, M=Middle, N=Neck).

I don't know that it's getting the best out of the S1 switch, though.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

yeah i really just want it for that though i mean it'd be nice to make it do all 3 but other than that im not really sure what else i could have it do. mostly just want the bridge and neck though.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Ok - I think this would do it (although I cannot test this so please check first).

The neck pickup and middle pickup "hot" wires got to two of the centre contacts of the S1 switch. Then you run two wires from the middle position of the 5-way and two wires from teh neck position of the 5-way. These wires go to the S1 switch such that when the S1 is "off" the neck and middle pickup go to their normal positions on the 5-way and when it is "on" the neck and middle pickups are swapped on the 5-way.

I think the following diagram should do it, but try testing the operation of the S1 first to make sure you are using the correct contacts.
Attached Thumbnails
S1 wiring HELP PLEASE-strat-s1.jpg  

Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

alright i'll give it a shot.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Did this work?

Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
i know nothing

could have been done with just a push push or push pull dpdt pot. much cheaper. i was considering doing it with an s-1, but it was so much less for a push push. just as easy to work with it.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote