Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old October 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dark Cabaret

Can clear nail polish fill a ding on a poly coated neck?

I dented the back of the neck of my Epi LP this weekend and I was wondering if I could just drip a drop of clear nail polish into it to kind of fill it in?

I'm not worried about cosmetics, but it's really aggravating to feel that dent when I'm playing.

Thanks for any advice.

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

superglue would work better....
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

I searched out a discussion on it for you to read some different methods. I've heard of the super glue one before.
How to fix a deep dink in the back of a guitar neck - Harmony Central Forums

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwolf View Post
superglue would work better....
i guess youd sand that down then to get it flush? i dont understand how this could possible not be a bigger job than its worth
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I tried the nail polish thing when I dropped my dads guitar as a 14yr old. It ended up horrible in appearance but functional. I did a bad job though. If I were to so it now I would do many thin coats whereas I just blobbed it on at the time.
Bendub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lua1 View Post
i guess youd sand that down then to get it flush? i dont understand how this could possible not be a bigger job than its worth
yes, ma'am, you'd need to sand it level, then polish. not really difficult at all, being so small.
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I have a cheap Tele that I dinged the neck on a few years back, it sounds about the same as what you are describing. I used the superglue in several thin coats to build it up. I masked of the area with tape and used very fine grades of sandpaper-then I used steel wool to get it smoothed out and polished.

I don't even feel it at this point.

Anfontan's Tunes
anfontan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm not gonna argue with with GW over whether superglue is better, but clear nail polish will work fine if you have that & no superglue available. I used clear nail polish to fill a small dent in the '88 I had...you'll need to do some scraping/buffing/polishing to get it back to smooth, but worth the effort if it's annoying you.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time & annoys the pig.
scotzoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dark Cabaret

scraping buffing and polishing?

I'm rethinking how annoyed I am by it, it's actually a very small dent.

It was such a light tap too! The first thing I thought was, "My maple necked Strat would not have dented."

Stupid mahogany neck!!

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I jus' brought that up because I know you're not the most...mechanically-inclined member here, I recall you being a little intimidated by the soldering iron But whatever you use to fill the dent will stick out a little, just enough to still annoy you. But keep in mind, we're talking microsurgery here, no power tools needed. I fixed a small Strat dent with a Sharpie, clear nail polish, 600 grit wetordry sandpaper, extra fine scotchbrite-type abrasive pad, & a little dab of Turtle Wax polishing compound. You can do it, w/o the Sharpie, I'm sure of it!

add: BTW, I've got at least one fingernail sized dent in the maple neck of my '60 P-bass, fortunately it's up towards the headstock were I don't feel it so much.

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dark Cabaret

The funny thing is I AM mechanically inclined. I've built cars, computers, multiple houses, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. I even used to have a carburetor on my coffee table I'd take apart and put together when I got bored. And I built and sold a ton of Freddy Gloves from scratch. Cutting and folding all the copper and brass, carving out the blades on a grinder, doing all the solder and rivet work, etc. They were pretty awesome!

It's just that when it comes to the guitar I don't like working on it. It's like doing surgery on a friend. It's not that I'm scared I'll mess it up, I just really don't like doing it much. Though I admit after replacing everything on my Epi I like it a lot more and I got over my aversion to working on them.

But still it's always in the back of my mind that I'd rather be playing it then messing around with it.

The ding on my Epi neck is so small I feel silly complaining about it, but the poly cracked in such a way that there's like a tiny "shelf" that I feel my skin catch on sometimes. Going down the neck it's smooth, but going up the neck every once in awhile you feel your thumb catch on the finish.

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikon View Post
The funny thing is I AM mechanically inclined. I've built cars, computers, multiple houses, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. I even used to have a carburetor on my coffee table I'd take apart and put together when I got bored. And I built and sold a ton of Freddy Gloves from scratch. Cutting and folding all the copper and brass, carving out the blades on a grinder, doing all the solder and rivet work, etc. They were pretty awesome!

It's just that when it comes to the guitar I don't like working on it. It's like doing surgery on a friend. It's not that I'm scared I'll mess it up, I just really don't like doing it much. Though I admit after replacing everything on my Epi I like it a lot more and I got over my aversion to working on them.

But still it's always in the back of my mind that I'd rather be playing it then messing around with it.

The ding on my Epi neck is so small I feel silly complaining about it, but the poly cracked in such a way that there's like a tiny "shelf" that I feel my skin catch on sometimes. Going down the neck it's smooth, but going up the neck every once in awhile you feel your thumb catch on the finish.
OK, that being the case, I think if your friend had a boo-boo he couldn't fix himself, he'd appreciate you helping him out in that case.

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I already did it with clear nail polish...and it looked fine...
gypsyseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Try a little steam heat. Either use a steam iron with a damp cloth over the wood or a soldering iron. Just go slowly at it so as not to burn the wood & make it worse. You'll be surprised how the dent will expand & disappear. If you're hell bent on "filling it" use super glue & put it on in several layers as wa suggested. Seriously though, try the steam, I've removed a lot of large dings that way...
OldtimeR&R is offline   Reply With Quote