Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Wiring for one tone and one volume

I have just got into fender guitars and I bought a strat. I have a problem though. The volume knob is in my way big time. What I would like to do is eliminate one of my tones and move the volume knob down. Can anyone out there help me with the wiring of this? I have been looking for some time now and its driving me nuts.

Ken

kenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaker View Post
I have just got into fender guitars and I bought a strat. I have a problem though. The volume knob is in my way big time. What I would like to do is eliminate one of my tones and move the volume knob down. Can anyone out there help me with the wiring of this? I have been looking for some time now and its driving me nuts.

Ken
Hey, man
Welcome to Strat-Talk

This link from Seymour Duncan, might help you..It's for a 3 single coil, one volume, one tone, setup with 5 way switch.

Wiring Diagram

You might need a new pickguard that has 2 control knob holes, and a switch slot though.

Thanks..
stevierayfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks

That was very helpful. Also, if I want to do a fat strat with this set up should I use 500k pots or are the 250s ok? Thank you so much!

Ken

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old April 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
That was very helpful. Also, if I want to do a fat strat with this set up should I use 500k pots or are the 250s ok? Thank you so much!

Ken
Hey, man
No problem Hmm, by a "Fat Strat", do you mean an HSS one with bridge humbucker and 2 single coils?

Or 2 humbuckers?

If it's an HSS, then make the volume a 500 K(to retain clarity on the HB), and the tone a 250 K.

If it's an HH with two hums, then make the volume a 500 K , and the tone a 500 K also.

Do you have any more questions I can help you with? I like to help!

Thanks,

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Good info and makes sense. I am sure I will have more questions. Thank you so much!

Ken

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

you could use a 300k for the volume if its a master for both humbuckering and single coil.
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lua1 View Post
you could use a 300k for the volume if its a master for both humbuckering and single coil.
That is true What effect would a 300 K pot have? I am unsure about that, because the guitar I had with those was always muddy sounding no matter what I did amp EQ wise

@Ken
No problem What pickups are you thinking of going with? If we know that we , can tell you a bit more about what pots to use, based on the overall tone of those pickups, lol.

Thanks, buds.

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I am going to go with the burst bucker pro on the bridge and probably some alnico gfs singles for the mid and neck.

Another wiring question. I was thinking of putting an on off button where the empty hole will be for the tone I am taking out. Any advise on wiring that?

Thanks!

Ken

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
I am going to go with the burst bucker pro on the bridge and probably some alnico gfs singles for the mid and neck.

Another wiring question. I was thinking of putting an on off button where the empty hole will be for the tone I am taking out. Any advise on wiring that?

Thanks!

Ken
hey, man
Gibson BurstBuckers are great pickups..I think that'll be a good bridge HB for you.. I've heard mixed reviews on GFS, I would reccomend Tonerider single coils, or Fender or Duncan ones, lol.

So you want to move the volume and tone down one, and be able to have neck and bridge on at the same time or all 3 pickups on at the same time?

I think you'd need to make the tone a push/pull so you can do that, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find a diagram , sorry!

P.S
I had a Gibson once, and the 300 K pots were kind of muddy sounding to me..I'd go with the 500 K volume for the BurstBucker, and the 250 K tone, lol. The 500 K volume for the BurstBucker would add clarity and retain some top end better..

Did the earlier diagram assist you? I am very sleepy, but you can PM me if you need more help, OK?

Thanks

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I want to do an on off button. More of a hole filler than anything. Some bands use these. The only one I can think of right now is rancid and I am not sure if you are familiar with them.

Your wiring diagram is perfect! I will be able to achieve what I need. Thanks again.

Ken

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
I want to do an on off button. More of a hole filler than anything. Some bands use these. The only one I can think of right now is rancid and I am not sure if you are familiar with them.

Your wiring diagram is perfect! I will be able to achieve what I need. Thanks again.

Ken
Awesome, glad I was able to help some For the on/ off buttton do you want to do like what David Gilmour's does, where it selects neck on, reg. of the 5 way switch pos. so you can get neck and bridge together an all 3 pickups on?

Or do you want to have it work as a switch to do Tom Morello type things, where he makes those cool, stuttery effects? I am not sure how to do that..I can't play his stuff, so I've never really looked into that kind of mod, lol.

If you're gonnna have a shop wire it, the guy there would probably know what kind of mini-switch to use, bud.

Thanks

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Ok, Its called a momentary on off switch. It would be the stuttery effect. Its kinda fun. On my less paul I just use the stock switch for this effect. I found a schematic for it late last night.

Ken

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
Ok, Its called a momentary on off switch. It would be the stuttery effect. Its kinda fun. On my less paul I just use the stock switch for this effect. I found a schematic for it late last night.

Ken
Ahh, i see. I like Tom Morello's playing too..He's very innovative!

Are you going to mount the momentary on off switch on the lower cutaway like he did on his black "Soul Power" guitar? If you put it there, it would be easier to use when tapping to add cool effects to the tapping

Let me know how the wiring turns out for you, OK?
Also,
My guitar is getting upgrade CTS pots, and a vintage 50's tone cap, this week! I am excited too

Thanks, bro.

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I think I might just put it in the empty pot hole. Yeah I will for sure let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Ken

Old January 28th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I hate the volume knob too. I used a Telecaster wiring diagram and change the strat to as such:

omicronkappa278
Lafayette, Louisiana
omicronkappa278 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

For future reference:
roadtonever is offline   Reply With Quote