Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Earth Wire on Tremolo ?

I want to replace my tremolo with a better quality Gotoh setup.

On my old, el chepo tremolo, there is a yellow wire coming from a hole bored in the rear cavity (just behind the rear of the middle PUP I'd guess) and it has been crudely soldered to the upper side of that angled bracket that screws into the body that the springs attach to.

An earth wire for something I guess, but is that normal ?

Do I just re-solder it back to the new bracket the same way?

Cheers,

Paul.

Brett Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yep, that'll work. If there's not a lot of difference in the quality of the claws you could just leave the old one there.
grumpy old git is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Yes - it's the earth wire that earths the bridge and strings. You do need this or you'll likely get a lot of hum.

You can solder the wire onto the new tremolo claw or do as grumpy_old_git suggests and re-use the original one.

If you do solder onto the new claw bear in mind that you'll need quite a hot soldering iron as there's a lot of metal to heat up in the claw before the solder will melt. Do NOT do this on the back of your Strat or the heat may damage the finish ! It might be easier to remove the old wire (note where it connects in the control cavity first) and then do the heavy soldering to the claw away from the guitar.
BOD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Suspended

Yes ground it.
midifarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks guys.

The old 'claw' is a really cheap looking piece of junk. The new claw is stainless steel so will replace and re-solder the earth wire to the new one.

Cheers,

Paul
Brett Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
i know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOD2 View Post
Yes - it's the earth wire that earths the bridge and strings. You do need this or you'll likely get a lot of hum.

You can solder the wire onto the new tremolo claw or do as grumpy_old_git suggests and re-use the original one.

If you do solder onto the new claw bear in mind that you'll need quite a hot soldering iron as there's a lot of metal to heat up in the claw before the solder will melt. Do NOT do this on the back of your Strat or the heat may damage the finish ! It might be easier to remove the old wire (note where it connects in the control cavity first) and then do the heavy soldering to the claw away from the guitar.
common misunderstanding. the earth wire is not there to earth the bridge and the strings. it is there to earth you the player. the guitar is already grounded through the output jack. the player however acts as a big antenna and adds a lot of rf interference. so the player needs to get grounded (earthed). it is necessary however.
louis cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote