Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tech-Talk
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tech-Talk Strat nuts and bolts talk goes here

Old June 4th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Former Member

The best way to remove a nut?

Hi guys, I just wanna know the best, or 'proper' way to remove a strat nut from it's slot. Also, where I can get the right glue for it to go back in.

Thankyou very much.

Gypsy Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat Cat

you can use a flathead screwdriver to pry it loose, then use some pliers to take it out. A couple drops of elmer glue will secure the new nut

Old June 4th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I thought you were supposed to use a chainsaw.
BHighkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 4th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

take an exacto-knife and cut on its outlines, then take a block of wood and a small hammer and give it about 3 or 4 little "knocks" towards the neck, and then towards the headstock... do this a bunch of times and then place the block on the side of the nut and push. it will just come out from the side.
Voyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Voyce has good advice.........tap it gently and in most cases it will easily come out. Never ever you crazy glue or such.......you literally need a toothpick size drop of wood glue, just to hold it in place.
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Member

Hey Thaus and Voyce, Definitely the best advice i've heard! I was just thinking, about the finish, but then the exacto-knife clears that up nicely! Thanks alot!

Old June 4th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

You can also try a hair-blower to heat up any glue........sometimes really helps for ones that are stuck in place. Biggest mistake most make is to apply too much glue. It really is there to lightly hold it in place. I have a few guitars where I don't have any glue holding the nut in place and they've been there for years.
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaus View Post
You can also try a hair-blower to heat up any glue........sometimes really helps for ones that are stuck in place. Biggest mistake most make is to apply too much glue. It really is there to lightly hold it in place. I have a few guitars where I don't have any glue holding the nut in place and they've been there for years.

Yeah, I've glued neither of my strat nuts in (Squier and another copy), but this one (Fender!) seems to have been glued first so I wanna put it back that way! Haha

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Former Member

I don't believe this, my parents say take it to a tech, to simply remove it and put it back in the other way round.

Old June 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Eyes View Post
I don't believe this, my parents say take it to a tech, to simply remove it and put it back in the other way round.
your parents must be nuts! haha!
if the nut is already on there with the glue.. i wouldnt bother taking it out just to put it back in... maybe for a little practice actually.
is the nut glued in like that from the factory?
you know what type of glue it is?
Voyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Check out the "Spacklehoss" tutorial, which you can pull up with your favorite Search tool.

I like "gutting" the old nut down the middle, then removing the remaining bits around the edges. I've tried cutting the nut free to knock it out, only to have a big punky piece of the maple come along with the residue of the nut. Others describe the same misadventure. Admittedly I was re-doing 30 guitars with soft plastic nuts, but I learned my lesson. I gave the guitar with that neck away.

I agree with Thaus; you need just a whisper of yellow glue for the new nut. Just glance at the glue bottle - that should be enough. :^
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Tap lightly with a flat head screwdriver and a mallet on the side of the nut it should come out and if it is stubborn as some one already mentioned bring out the Chainsaw, the sight out that would just make the nut co-operate works everytime for me.
Pukiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

At least here in Texas, the easiest way to remove a nut is to try bull riding

Old June 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Voyce has good advice.........tap it gently and in most cases it will easily come out. Never ever you crazy glue or such.......you literally need a toothpick size drop of wood glue, just to hold it in place.
i always use a couple of drops of elmers glue for nuts
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texocaster View Post
At least here in Texas, the easiest way to remove a nut is to try bull riding
so THAT'S why you can only use one hand on the rope. the other hand is for your guitar. always wondered about that..
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
I have a few guitars where I don't have any glue holding the nut in place and they've been there for years.
Same here. And I use a nail set and a small hammer to tap them out, when they must be removed.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I hear that everything from zip-tie restraints to straightjackets have been used with very successful results! The catch is, you've got to have a secure place to keep them afterwards...

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Nut removal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage59 View Post
I hear that everything from zip-tie restraints to straightjackets have been used with very successful results! The catch is, you've got to have a secure place to keep them afterwards...
My neighbor is a farmer and he says just put a real tight rubber band on it and it will fall off on it's own in about three weeks. YIKES!!
flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_twin View Post
My neighbor is a farmer and he says just put a real tight rubber band on it and it will fall off on it's own in about three weeks. YIKES!!
that's how my mum and stepdad castrate their bull calves
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Sorry about the necrobump especially since I have a low post count but I really want to thank Voyce for the advice in post #4. My Strat has been put away for months due to a nut that got filed way too low and I got it out today, followed Voyce's directions and did a nut removal/replacement with no problems. I put a tiny drop of Elmer's ® glue on each end and am getting ready to string it up and jam.
beachgod is offline   Reply With Quote