Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Telecaster/Esquire Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Telecaster/Esquire Forum Fender's first guitar, the Telecaster forum

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Korean Squier Tele S/N

I haven't seen a serial number warehouse here, so I hope I'm asking in the right place.
I have a Korean Standard Telecaster, serial # E938xxx.
Can anyone possibly give me a clue as to what factory and in what year this thing was made?
It has a pretty flat fretboard radius and is great for playing slide, but it won't fret out on bent notes up high, either.
I have the action set about as low as I do on my $3000 Les Pauls, and this little rascal is every bit as easy to play.

Thanks for any info from anyone.

Gibson CS '56 Les Paul Goldtop VOS
'62 Gibson SG Special
'00 Gibson Les Paul Classic w/WCR Fillmore pickups
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Hammond XK-2 & Leslie 860
SecondHandMutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

]****************************************

anyone ???????

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member!

an 'E9' at the start means 1989. I don't think you can tell which factory it was made at from the serial number. Does it have any other markings or dates on the base of the neck or neck pocket?
SimonM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
an 'E9' at the start means 1989. I don't think you can tell which factory it was made at from the serial number. Does it have any other markings or dates on the base of the neck or neck pocket?
Thanks Simon. I don't know about any markings on the neck or neck pocket. The neck is perfectly aligned right now, so I'm not gonna take it loose just to see what's underneath.
Thanks for the year info though. I was thinking it was a
'99 made at the "E" factory. LOL

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I could be way off, but I've only seen E serials on Japanese products. The Korean ones I've seen are usually a VN or CN serial. Then again, that is on strats.....

Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalij View Post
I could be way off, but I've only seen E serials on Japanese products. The Korean ones I've seen are usually a VN or CN serial. Then again, that is on strats.....
Well since this one says "Made in Korea" on the headstock decal right in between the "Squier" logo and the serial number, I would tend to believe it was made in Korea, wouldn't you?

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member!

My Korean Tele neck serial number is E1038753, I'm looking for a truss rod nut for mine. Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike
mjbeyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Maybe just buy a new neck? They aren't that expensive.

Which brings up another point .........
Why put a serial number on an easily changed neck? Never made sense to me from a security/permanent ID standpoint.

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old January 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Back to the original question ----
So no one here knows Jack-all about a Korean Squiire Tele?
Would anyone mind directing me to a site where I could find some real Squier experts????
I don't like these little "good ole boy" setups where everyone pats each other on the back but really don't know squat.

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old January 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondHandMutt View Post
Back to the original question ----
So no one here knows Jack-all about a Korean Squiire Tele?
Would anyone mind directing me to a site where I could find some real Squier experts????
I don't like these little "good ole boy" setups where everyone pats each other on the back but really don't know squat.
Yeah, why not try Google.

And if you don't like it here the you can always leave.

Just 'cos nobody's given the answer you want, there is no need to throw the toys out the pram. I gave you all the information you can get from the serial number, what more do you want?
SimonM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
Yeah, why not try Google.

And if you don't like it here the you can always leave.

Just 'cos nobody's given the answer you want, there is no need to throw the toys out the pram. I gave you all the information you can get from the serial number, what more do you want?
So you set yourself up as the be-all expert on Korean Squiers? No one here knows more than you?? How presumptuous of you!

I came here to ask a legitimate question because I thought this was THE place where true bastions of Squier secrets gather to discuss and share their knowledge, with those like me who are trying to learn more.

I asked politely, and I figured/hoped that someone in all this vast sea of wisdom would have the full answer.

Guess I was wrong.

Toodleloo!

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old January 31st, 2010, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have to agree, the E series generally are japanese made, I have three korenas, and they all start with CN which means the Cort factory produced then in the 90s the next digit is the year ex: CN2..... would be a 1992. I think maybe yours had a japanese neck added to it.
7thSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSun View Post
I have to agree, the E series generally are japanese made, I have three korenas, and they all start with CN which means the Cort factory produced then in the 90s the next digit is the year ex: CN2..... would be a 1992. I think maybe yours had a japanese neck added to it.
Well sir, if you think that is a Japanese neck added to the guitar, can you please explain why the headstock decal says, QUOTE:
"Squier Telecaster --- top line
MADE IN KOREA ---- next line, small print
Serial number E938171 by Fender" third line.

What do you base your opinion on? Please don't say "Well I heard ......." or "Somebody has a friend who said.......". Those are hearsay and inasmuch, are inadmissable. Please quote from a reputed published source, or give me a link to that source, in which it is said that a guitar with MADE IN KOREA printed on the headstock with the rest of the fully intact decal, was in fact, made in Japan??

The decal is in one piece and is underneath an unbroken clear coat, so obviously the NECK was made in Korea. As far as I am aware, the neck and body were assembled in the same place at the same time, and there are no markings in the neck pocket, except for what looks like a backwards Fender "F", or a backwards "7" with line through the leg. There are no markings on the neck heel either.

I spent my 27-year career dealing in facts in the judicial system, and I am hard-pressed to explain the logic of allegedly building a guitar in Korea, then giving it an allegedly Japanese serial number, while, for a fact, the headstock decal says MADE IN KOREA.

I'm starting to hear black helicopters, when all I asked for was someone to point me to a reliable document to research the year this guitar was made.

I'm sorry it blows someone's minds that there is a JAPANESE serial number on a KOREAN neck (allegedly), but those are the facts. If my digital camera would focus that close and small, I would present photographic proof.

In the meantime, is there ANY place where I can research these serial numbers. No offense but opinions and forum legends don't do it for me.
I prefer facts.

Thanks!

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

First off quite being such a pompous ass. Maybe if you werent such a jerk people might actually want to help you.
In spite of all this here is the info you are looking for.
Keep in mind that Korean Squier teles are fairly rare. The Protone series was a fairly well done series.
Korean Squiers
CN/VN: C = Cor-Tek (Cort), V = Saehan(Sunghan), S was already taken by Samick so Saehan(Sunghan) used V instead (Saehan(Sunghan) made the Vester guitars), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

"CN5" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1995.
"VN5" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1995.
KC/KV: KC (Korean Cor-Tek (Cort)) and KV (Korean Saehan(Sunghan)), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.

For example

"KC97" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1997.
"KV97" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1997.
KC and KV serial number prefixes are usually used on Crafted in Korea Squiers.

S/E: The S and E serial number prefix Korean Squiers are from the late 1980s/early 1990s. S = Samick, E = Young Chang, E letter serial numbers were used on Young Chang's Fenix brand guitars [3]. The first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

"S9" = made by Samick in 1989.
"E0" = made by Sung-Eum in 1990.
"E1" = made by Sung-Eum in 1991.
There were also Korean Squier serials with no serial number prefix and 6 or 7 numbers and the first number is the year
A good source of information is
JV Forum - JV Forum

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Nice job Zman, for someone who knows so much he can't seem to search the internet to save his life, did someone say scum sucking lawyer.... or was that just my imagination.
what a jackass.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Please copy and paste this on your status if you know someone who needs a punch in the face. People who need a punch in the face affect the lives of many. There is still no known cure for someone who deserves a punch in the face, except a punch in the face, but we can still raise awareness.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSun View Post
Nice job Zman, for someone who knows so much he can't seem to search the internet to save his life, did someone say scum sucking lawyer.... or was that just my imagination.
what a jackass.
Sounds like he had a little too much Merlot with dinner. People really don't realize how hard it is to actually find the history of Squier guitars. The guys over at the JV forum are pretty knowlegeable about the various Squier models that were made in Japan, and Korea. I found that information on Wikipedia. LOL.

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
First off quite being such a pompous ass. Maybe if you werent such a jerk people might actually want to help you.
In spite of all this here is the info you are looking for.
Keep in mind that Korean Squier teles are fairly rare. The Protone series was a fairly well done series.
Korean Squiers
CN/VN: C = Cor-Tek (Cort), V = Saehan(Sunghan), S was already taken by Samick so Saehan(Sunghan) used V instead (Saehan(Sunghan) made the Vester guitars), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

"CN5" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1995.
"VN5" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1995.
KC/KV: KC (Korean Cor-Tek (Cort)) and KV (Korean Saehan(Sunghan)), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.

For example

"KC97" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1997.
"KV97" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1997.
KC and KV serial number prefixes are usually used on Crafted in Korea Squiers.

S/E: The S and E serial number prefix Korean Squiers are from the late 1980s/early 1990s. S = Samick, E = Young Chang, E letter serial numbers were used on Young Chang's Fenix brand guitars [3]. The first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

"S9" = made by Samick in 1989.
"E0" = made by Sung-Eum in 1990.
"E1" = made by Sung-Eum in 1991.
There were also Korean Squier serials with no serial number prefix and 6 or 7 numbers and the first number is the year
A good source of information is
JV Forum - JV Forum
Thank you very much, ZMan. Now I just need to figure out if E9 means it was made in 89 or 99. I guess it would be safe to assume that if they only used this system up to the erly 90's, that would indicate it is an '89 model.
Sorry if I sounded like a jerk, but when someone here tells me my guitar isn't made in Korea, when I can plainly read the headstock that says it IS, I don't think it is I who is being the "pompous jerk." I was not assuming, sight unseen, I was looking at undisputed visual evidence, and still someone is going to tell me HE doesn't think MY guitar was made in Korea? Based on what, pray tell?.
And no I am not a lawyer, I only play one occasionally on the internet.
But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, and I DID rub elbows with lawyers for 27 years, so yes, facts and rules of evidentiary procedure DID rub off on me.

Anyway, again, thanks for the answer, and sorry I crashed your party.
As George told the man in the boots in "A Hard Day's Night" .... "I hope we didn't hurt your field, mister."

As for the other snide remarks, I have thick skin, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to insult me. I hope no one else wastes his time trying.

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12

Old February 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Don't get too hung up on things that are said on these forums. My issue was that I don't think he was saying you were wrong, I think he was just saying that because most of the hype around the early Squiers was the Japanese E series.
Also to have a 25 year old Squier that hasn't been modded is quite a rarity. Yes 25 years.
Not a lot of resources out there on the early Fender Squiers. The 21 fret website has some pretty knowledgeable guys on it. They are more towards the JVs but they also know quite a bit about the Koreans and CIJ Strats as well.
Also the TDPRI, (Telecaster) forum has a lot of guys that just deal in Teles.
I am new to the Tele game, but I have 18 Electrics, 9 Strats and 5 LPs included.
I am a big fan of Korean guitars and I recently purchased one of those new Classic Vibe Tele Customs. Excellent guitar.
Good luck on your quest for info.
Oh BTW Which of the Marshalls do you like best.

Old February 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Don't get too hung up on things that are said on these forums. My issue was that I don't think he was saying you were wrong, I think he was just saying that because most of the hype around the early Squiers was the Japanese E series.
Also to have a 25 year old Squier that hasn't been modded is quite a rarity. Yes 25 years.
Not a lot of resources out there on the early Fender Squiers. The 21 fret website has some pretty knowledgeable guys on it. They are more towards the JVs but they also know quite a bit about the Koreans and CIJ Strats as well.
Also the TDPRI, (Telecaster) forum has a lot of guys that just deal in Teles.
I am new to the Tele game, but I have 18 Electrics, 9 Strats and 5 LPs included.
I am a big fan of Korean guitars and I recently purchased one of those new Classic Vibe Tele Customs. Excellent guitar.
Good luck on your quest for info.
Oh BTW Which of the Marshalls do you like best.
Thanks Zman, and I really didn't mean to sound like a jerk ....... just more frustrated than anything.

Anyway, hands down, I love my JCM800 over the 900. The 800 is an all tube 50W 1x12 channel switching combo and has the classic Marshall bluesy tone. The 900 is an all tube 25/50W switchable power 1x12 combo, also channel switching.
They both have effects loops, but I don't use those things.

No matter what you do to it, the 900 has a "honk" sound to it, and I am currently using it to amplify a 1x15 cab for either bass or keyboard use. The 900 isn't really fit to be a guitar amp, IMO.

Of course, my best amp for really playing out is the Lee Jackson designed Ampeg VL-502, but the head alone weighs 80 pounds (The Marshalls are a bit cantankerous and delicate at times)!! I run the 502 through a 2x12 cab containing one Celestion G12T75 and one Eminence GB12. The two different speakers sound GREAT together.
Always disobey the "Rule" that multiple speakers in a cabinet MUST match!!
As long as you have the wattage and resistance right, you can experiment with different speakers to get the SOUND you like.

'62 Gibson SG Special
'70's RI Fender Strat

Marshall JCM800 4210
Marshall JCM900 4501
Ampeg VL-502 & 2x12