Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

#1: Case or Gigbag?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gilmourstrat, Nov 10, 2017.

How do I carry my #1 guitar around?

1. Hardcase

2. Gigbag

3. Softcase

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    So..... how do you carry your MAIN GUITAR for gigs, rehearsals, etc?

I usually carry 3 guitars (two Strats and a Sonoran). The AM Standard goes on OHSC (moulded), the Road Worn on Fender gigbag and the Sonoran on generic Rockbag gigbag.

The HSC protects better but aren't the gigbags so easy (specially with the backpack feature) to load into the car and just carry guitars around?

And you? Is your #1 on case or gigbag? And why? You can comment on the other guitars you carry as well of course :p

Bluestrat83 likes this.

2. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Strats travel in gig bags. I carry 2 Roland Ready Strats to gigs. The white one has the Evo frets and Stainless Steel strings to help fight my nickel allergy. The sunburst one is a spare. Both have DeMarzio Virtual Vintage or Area pickups so I’m not fighting hum all night. But they travel in decent TKL gig bags. They normal ride in the back of my Little Cube to and from the gigs and I’ve never had a problem. Strats are tough.

My Epi 1275 double neck rides in it HSC cause well I can’t find a gig bag for it plus those Headstocks are delicate.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Gig bag on my back if I have to carry one, there's no way to carry a hard case that way.

nuculer terrist likes this.

4. jeff h

jeff h Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    For my Fenders and Ibanez style guitar with a head stock that isn't fragile, it is a tossup. I have a hard case and a rather well padded gig bag and usually I use both since I'm bringing two guitars anyway. If I had a Les Paul, it would only be transported in a hard case.

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Gator gig bags for everything, bombproof

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.

7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Molded plastic case. Lighter than tweed or tolex and more resistant to scuffs and damage.

nuculer terrist likes this.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    My #1 doesn't leave the house too much any more. I don't have a gig bag for it and wouldn't use a a gig bag with it, so my answer is case.

Nowadays I use one or the other of my two Strats when playing out of the house. I use a gig bag on the shoulder, a tough leather bag for my ToneLab, and have my Special 6 amp in the other hand. That's a single trip from the car.

9. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

these days its all soft cases for me.

I like them. I find them more comfortable to bring around, and frankly... I dont like big stupid boxy cases. I like form fitted foam cases with backpack straps. thats how to get around with a guit. besides you need to have your hands free to fight off all the guitar lovers our there. all 6 of them

my no1 goes in its strandberg bag

that is a GREAT bag btw. mind you.. with the strandberg there is no concern of breaking the headstock off..

10. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    My guitars almost never leave home, but when they do, it tends to be for a long car trip loaded up wth a bunch of other stuff, so I have a case for each. I only have three guitars and space to store the cases is a bigger issue than space for more guitars...

11. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Fenders I would normally take in a gigbag but Gibson/PRS I use the hardcases because of the fragility of the neck.

I'm thinking of building a road case, like a trunk on wheels, that will take two guitars, my line 6 Helix plus straps, cables, spare strings etc. Keep everything together and just wheel everything in/out of venues in one go.

12. Hanson

Hanson Strat-Talk Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Mesquite, Texas

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Fenders in one of those mid 90's chainsaw cases. All my fenders live in their original tolex cases at home but there' a bit impractical for travelling. The chainsaw case is a good mix of form and function and is usually ok to get into the overhead locker on a plane.

14. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    All hard cases for me: Les Paul Standard, Flying V and ‘57 AVRI, because I live and gig in earthquake country.

15. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    So I've always used hard cases, some of which are rather heavy.
    I've come to appreciate the molded ABS cases that Fender has, though I currently don't own one.
    Not long ago, I bumped into Greg Koch at a local music store (he lives fairly close) and was somewhat surprised to see him with a gig bag strapped to his Sasquatch-sized person.

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    My #1 is layed carefully onto a lazy boy recliner which is then carried on the shoulders of four trusted servants.

My other guitars are dragged mercilessly on the ground by a rope attached to a dog named Brutus until they do better...

'

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    stratobiker likes this.

17. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Depends on the gig, the band, the transport, the weather.

I use either, a flight case, a hard case or a gig bag.....whichever is easier/safest.

AxemanVR likes this.

18. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Hard case for the most part and never had a problem. I️ bought a gator TSA approved HRD case when I️ took an acoustic over seas. Got to watch the baggage guys drag it across the tarmac. When I️ received it at baggage claim you could see where the top had been ground almost to the inside. Guitar was in perfect shape however. If that’s a plug gator deserves it.

19. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    PRS: factory hard case; G&L: factory rectangular molded hard case; Pretty Strat: Fender molded shaped hard case (like half an old violin case, the easiest hard case to maneuver around there is); main player ugly strat: soft gator case.

I really love that soft gator case, except the zippers piss me off going around corners once in a while. Has a strap I use sometimes, but no backpack type straps. Put a couple of those on it and you might have the perfect case for me. More protection than a gig bag and a lot lighter and easier to move around than a hardshell.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Fenders go in gig bags to gigs. Gibsons in hard cases.
    ATA cases for long distance travel. Or where I'm not the one moving them around.

Ebidis likes this.