Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

10" Speaker in Vibro Champ XD?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by BadBrad, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

Jun 14, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a Vibro Champ XD that I like pretty well as a practice amp, but I am thinking that a bigger speaker will make it sound better. It has an 8" speaker in it. I know some folks have replaced the stock speaker with a Jenson P8R or C8R and like the tone a little better, but it looks like there is room to put a 10" speaker in there (another 1" all around). On the Super Champ XD amps, most folks really like the Rajin Cajun speaker, so I was considering putting one of these in the VCXD.

Anyway, has anyone tried a larger speaker in the VCXD? Have you plugged it into a cabinet with a 10" or 12" speaker? If so, how did the sound change? Any other good mods for this little amp?

2. boujsquier

boujsquier Strat-Talker

I can't speak to upgrading in a Vibro Champ XD; but I have a Super Champ XD in which I just acquired a Fender 2x10 closed back cabinet loaded with Celestion G10 Vintage speakers.

When I go back and forth from the stock speaker to the cabinet; the overall tone is much richer, fuller sounding. It's quite a nice setup especially on the voice 2 - Tweed Bassman and Voices 4,5,6 the Blackface settings.

I also noticed the highs were much more articulate and defined and the lows are much punchier; I paid $200 for the 2x10 cabinet and it was well worth the investment. I gigged with this setup over the weekend and received many comments on how good the tone was.

Hope that helps ...

3. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

Mar 29, 2009
    Bastrop, Tx.
    This is just me, but I would use an external cab with a 10" rather than trying to mount one in there. This preserves the amp. I had a SC XD and I bought an Eminence 12" Patriot in a separate cab. Sounded great, but when I sold it I was able to keep the factory speaker in tact plus keep the Patriot for myself.

4. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

Jun 14, 2009
    Maryland
    The problem with the external cabinet is that I want to maintain the portability of the amp, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I have a Mesa Boogie combo that sounds fantastic but it weighs and ton and is super loud, so I got the VCXD as a low power portable amp.

5. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

Mar 29, 2009
    Bastrop, Tx.
    If that's the case then a 10" (as long as it fits) shouldn't add much weight at all to your amp. I guess just be sure the ohms match.

6. misc1600

misc1600 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 25, 2012
    CO
    Old topic but....
    Can I use a speaker cabinet with this amp via the External speaker? I know the amp is 4 ohms, so can I run it into a 1x12 cab that has 16 or 8 ohms?

7. malachi_s

malachi_s New Member!

Jan 23, 2012
    Indiana
    While some will say that they have gotten away with mixing resistance impedence on thier speakers, it is not meant to be work like that. Eventually, your going to mess up your amp. There are a wide variety of 4 ohm speakers out there. I found a nicely built cabinet on ebay for $100.00 delivered, nice vintage look to it, and put my own 12" speaker in it. Why risk it?

8. fishpotpete

fishpotpete New Member!

Tuesday
    STL-MO
    This is an old topic, but then again, I'm an old guitarist... I just did a 10" upgrade on my VCXD. I took out the baffle and cut the hole larger - I used a shortened jig saw bit to cut through the wood without touching the speaker cloth - there's about 1/4" of space to work with there. I really liked the general sound of the original speaker, but it sound a little boxy and "small". So I just got a stock/used 10" from a Super Champ X2 posted on Reverb - it has the same "flavor" as the original, but much fuller and not boxy sounding at all. Seems louder - (Just a feeling - I didn't do any actual SPL measurements).

I know a lot of people are going with the Ragin Cajin - but I really like how this turned out and can recommend it as a very plausible upgrade. Plus the speaker was only about about $40 (including shipping).

As far as the impedance is concerned, as long as the replacement is greater than 4 ohms, the amp with fine with it. The stock 8" XD is 8 ohm (measures about 7.2 with a meter).