Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1954 Strat how she look ?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Inventour, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Looking at the headstock photos and one thing that has hit me is none of the pre 60s headstocks are the same..... similar yes, but nothing like the same, so obviously a lot of human input going into the sanding and shaping
    Post 60 and they are all pretty much uniform, square edges and profiles
    its a far biggger job than i thought when i started it

2. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

sorry for the glare. hope this helps. from the galaxy of strats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyone here able to translate for us?

savofenno, crashbelt and Mipstoo like this.

3. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Thanks, but what isn't shown in the Galaxy of Strats is the difference of the edges on the headstocks. Especially the 1954 ones were really soft on the edges.

I once started to translate the book together with a Japanese friend, but she gave up after two pages. It should be someone mastering the Japanese language and knowledgeable about Strats. It didn't work the way I had it planned out.

I also have thought about making a "blackguard book" alike, like the one from Nacho. But I don't want to limit myself to only some years, but all pre-cbs ones. It would be a hell of a job to do...

4. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    Nacho's blackguard book is a work of art and science for those of us lucky enough to have a blackguard Tele. There are many Burst books which dont interest me (probably just jealousy). I'd love someone to do a Strat equivalent - a massive job. I'd also love Charlie Gelber to publish somethng on the golden era 300 series.

5. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I don't have a blackguard but a later whiteguard blond and I always hated that these are not included. Still a lovely book.
    I also have a lot of Burst books and hate it that there's nothing on goldtops...

Still a lot to cover ;)

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Do you mean 45,000 dollars? Or did you really mean 45 dollars?

7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    These days, $70K wouldn't buy you much of a house..

circles likes this.

8. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

You can see some of it looking straight on. The point to the left of the low E string is more rounded on '54 than the next example.

9. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Trouble is these variations continued for some time as i am finding out now photographing my heads
    it does seem to stop around 1960 and everything i have after that time is near identical shape wise suggesting the staff didn't have the time to do anything else but a light sanding and shaping.
    i will post pics when i have made sense of this but certainly 54 more rounded edges and a thinner depth of wood (13.6mm) but then again its the same for my Fiesta red 59, small looking head, very thin wood (13.4mm) and rounded edges

across the guitars i have here wood depth varies between 12.4mm (63 White) to 14.6mm (59 SB)

off topic but ive a few 70s Strats here too and all are the same and consistent at (14.8mm) indicating the advent of CNC machining

its a mine field!!!!!

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

10. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    the "straight edge" beneath the logo can be far from straight too
    some are some have a distinct concave or convex curve when placed alongside a ruler

11. Martend

Martend Strat-Talk Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Assen, The Netherlands
    45,000 dollars, another member also posted in this thread that it's a lot of money for that year and model and that there are "cheaper" options available if you shop a bit around.

12. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Las Vegas
    I...accidently pocket posted at work.
    Lo siento mi amigos.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

13. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm confused . . . can't figure which quote of Mipstoo's you are referring to when you quote "is" and then say "I".

Bazz Jass likes this.

14. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Is'm confused too....

15. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

Dec 10, 2012
    CA
    I had always thought that white looking undercoat visible in that (refinned or special order?) '59 was not the way the originals looked..... You see companies like MJT doing relics that look a lot like that.

Thanks for the pic.

16. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Its all original and has a white undercoat
    Gary Moores Red Strat is white underneath too

17. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

Dec 10, 2012
    CA
    Oh, so the original body in '59 was sprayed olympic white, then fiesta red before assembled? Looks great.

18. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ive seen a few with white primer/top coat underneath
    some with yellow too some, with sunburst oversprayed with red
    i guess thats what makes the Fiesta Red/Salmon Pink so hard to nail as the undercoat will affect how it ages

i would imagine if Leo had 20 sunburst bodies in stock and an order came in for 20 Fiesta Red the obvious result would be the SB bodies would be resprayed pretty quickly

19. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    The buyer's remorse on a guitar that pricey must be awful. "I coulda bought 40,000 American Originals for this much!"

20. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    It wasn't Olympic white. I've heard that it was desert sand from some people. All the real ones I've seen in person had what looked to me like a greyish white undercoat

Buzzin_Cousin likes this.