Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1959 Strat with 1964 Neck - value???

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by jdenio, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    I've been in just that position, and totally understand how this happens....

Regarding the plastic guard. If you see the photo here, the pickup screw closest to the top of the middle pickup moved closer to that pickup in 1963. There weren't rare one-offs before that time as far as I'm aware.

Fendereedo and johnnymg like this.

2. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

This is intriguing. '59 was of course a transition year and I have documented examples at least 9 different versions of pickguards from 1959. Bazz is correct about the screw hole positions of late '59- '63 guards, and he raises a valid point (also about the color). However, the screw position in question was further back on the 8 hole single ply guards, a 9 hole (3-ply), and 10 hole (single ply) '59 versions. There may be other oddities as well that I haven't seen yet, so please keep us posted about this question. :)
    Fendereedo and Bazz Jass like this.

3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    To address this question specifically. Since the neck was replaced by Fender at a later date, it would probably be less desirable than either a complete 59 or complete 64. If there is documentation from 1964 from Fender detailing the replacement of the neck, that would be in the guitar's favour.

If not, it really a sum-of-the-parts type value.

i.e. original 1959 Sonic Blue Body + original 1964 neck + original 1959 bridge etc.

Then the question becomes, what is each of the parts worth in the equation. Others may chime in on this I'm sure.
    Mississippi_Kid likes this.

4. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

It could many things...

most likely Fender replaced the guard when they replaced the neck. the question is, what else did they do? if it is stamped sonic blue, it was probably also refinished at that time. Would be curious to find out if the pickups are still north pole facing or south. that would tell us the date range of the pickups and whether Fender changed them...

you've got an anomaly, and quite frankly it will be difficult to price. Because of that, it will scare many potential buyers away. original sunburst transition logos can be found for as low as $12k.

are the solder joints broken on the pots? that would certainly help. do you have pictures of your step dad with the guitar in the '60s? that would help prove provenance.

It is all going to come down to the buyer and how fast you need to sell it. If you need to unload it quick, you will probably get around $8k. If you can wait, you might get $12k. Or who knows... maybe you find someone that is willing to give you $15k because its something they have an emotional connection to for whatever reason...

5. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015

Please welcome to the stage, Mr Eddie Vegas...
    sikoniko and TomH8 like this.

6. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

dueducs likes this.

7. Gianni_boy

Gianni_boy Strat-Talk Member

Apr 30, 2017
    This guitar was sold to Eddie Vegas....which he is currently parting out ....i know because I contacted him for a 64 neck, he told me the same story about the finish and later neck....then tried to sell the neck to me for $7000! And when I ask "why so much" he said " its 100% and has no stories".......i would say that it has alot of stories with the refin and sent back for a repair etc.
    Oh yea....he also told me it has the "rare factory larger frets" I guess just another way of lying about a refret. 100% original lol