Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1961 Strat on EBay

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by wht1, Jun 14, 2018.

1. wht1

wht1 Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2009
    PA
    Happened to notice this 1961 Strat on EBay which is for sale from an Australian seller with good feedback. Does the body and finish look right to you? Maybe that pickguard is throwing me off but the finish seems too new to me, although he implies its original. Curiously, the same seller has the neck for sale separately in another listing. I don’t plan on buying this. Just curious what the experts think.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292602145435

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Bazz Jass

4. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I'm not saying it's fake or a scam because not enough elements to do so, but it's very sloppy of the seller to do this and if some of these sell at the same time, he will have a hard time explaining why the neck was sold seperately and why the case isn't there...

Dreadge likes this.

5. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    The red in the sunburst shouldn't be under the pickguard. That would be wasting paint. On some of the first 3 tones in '58 you do see some like this but fender presumably sorted that out quickly as its a wast of paint. As long the pickguard definitely doesn't look right. What's with the '50s type shield? It should have a full sized aluminium shield like all '60s strats

Mipstoo likes this.

6. Bazz Jass

Given the muddle of photos, perhaps there is an entirely different neck for sale. One thing is for sure - the neck that is listed separately doesn't at all match the body of the entire strat listed. Totally different aging. @Adam Wolfaardt - I don't think that's a preCBS guard at all. Totally wrong colour and patern. See:

http://hi-guitars.com/VG1344.html

7. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Where do you see all that?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't click on the link in the OP message... Found it

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.

8. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    7DDBAC57-8BC1-4116-BBE1-2667FC57914D-8780-0000073932A40F70.jpeg .
    Two tone sunburst under the pickguard on a real '61 strat

Bazz Jass likes this.

9. Bazz Jass

Spot on. Some other observations from the Ebay one, compared to Adam's example:
    - worm rout way too clean
    - saddles too clean with no tool marks
    - nail holes too small?

It's a curious thing. The neck looks legit, but there's only glimpses of it in this auction. As noted, it appears to be the same neck as the one being sold separately. Just all rather odd!

10. Lozboy

Lozboy Strat-Talker

Sep 2, 2015
    UK
    Not saying its legit or not.But I have seen many legit bodies pre 62 with very clean pup/worm routes. I always put it down to sharper tooling,prob. more time spent.Tearing and over pressure normally happens with blunt tools and a rushed job.
    Whats interesting is that in my collection of numerous photos.Its the worm route with top leaning towards the bridge that tends to be neater.So could be done by the same worker.
    Saddles seem too out of focus to see any tool ,marks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    G7guitarist likes this.

11. xke38

xke38 Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2010
    1st floor
    There seems to be some finish in the small area were some wood was removed from the body to improve the access to the truss-rod. As this will not have happened in the factory, I'd say it's a clear sign of a refin (which could also explain the clean worm route).

Bazz Jass likes this.