Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1964 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jward, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:32 PM.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I did in my post.

the dark sailor likes this.

2. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

May 28, 2009
    Wales UK
    Its only radiused on 1 edge. there are so many other discrepancies - the bridge plate, the neck , the sunburst, the routing

3. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    The blacked in cutaways should have rung bells from the start.

4. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Still, ..though it definitely isn't a genuine old piece of Fender's it could still be a rarity in its own right.
    May not be worth much in the trade of "renowned" (& possibly vastly over rated at times) old players but if it holds its notes and feel good to play then you may still have a nice old guitar.
    A vintage fake of sort which in itself I find interesting. There's someone out there who'd be very happy to grab it I'd imagine.
    With a bit of work you could possibly turn it into a good player if the neck is in good nick.
    So I would not just dismiss it as worthless on the basis of what's been established on this thread so far.

Boognish likes this.

5. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Dec 5, 2010
    NJ
    LOL< yes this IS a 64 Strat.

A $64 Strat.

Boognish likes this.

6. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    If the OP's father was in the military in the Vietnam era (late 60s/early 70s) a lot of them brought back counterfeit Fenders from the Far East. It could be one from that era - which would be say just prior to the "lawsuit" era of Japanese guitars a bit later in the 1970s.

fezz parka and Guy Named Sue like this.

7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Just when you thought 'early retirement' was on the horizon eh!.. :(

8. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Oh no! He used the word "lawsuit"

Ebidis likes this.

9. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Unless you know something I do not, 15k does not make a retirement, even in Honduras. Unless you are only planning on living 6 months.
    R

rlmcritters1 likes this.

10. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Now that you know youre not rich... Thats a cool looking strat... It may not be a vintage gem, but it looks like one from the correct distance and for the correct audience, just play the **** out of it like you mean it and enjoy your gift. Swap those pups if you dont like the sound and rock on!

11. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    Lol!

OP, if you like it and it plays and sound alright than it's a decent guitar. It's a bummer that someone tried to pass off a counterfeit (the head decal screams scam attempt), but there are no shortage of shysters out there. At the very least, you can practice lutherie with no worries if you get the bug....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yes the block and the bridge itself also is too square.

13. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Probably referring to the non-recessed ball ends. I must say I've never seen that before!

strat3.JPG

14. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    No way to recess them, it's sheet metal.

15. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-Talker

Jul 27, 2012
    Serbia

16. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Really..!!! :rolleyes: and there was me thinking 15k was the magic amount. Oh well, back to the grindstone.. :)

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    This guitar is a very nice example of the early 1980s Japanese/Korean Plywoodcaster. Bumped out for about £90 and often treated to a Fender decal, along with just about every other copy at the time, either by the store or by the enthusiastic(if financially challenged) owner.

Having said that, some of these guitars are very good players, I have a couple, one that was 10 years old before it sustained damage which upon inspection revealed the plywood body (Which is how I got it for £40 - the owner didn't want one of those crappy things, though he'd been very happy with it from new). :)

Pssst! Wanna buy a custom shop plectrum? Great investment. To you 14.9k. :p

18. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Strat-O-Master

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    How about the fact that it only has three holes drilled to except only 3 springs.

Bazz Jass likes this.

19. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Other than it not being original Fender Strat, it's a good looking guitar! Play the chit out of it~!