Join Strat-Talk Today

1965 strat with a F on the serial number plate

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by audetnelson1, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Perfectly normal. The L series neck plates ran out before they went to the big headstock

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

3. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

I know, I was clicking "likes" and then saw the dates! :rolleyes:

4. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

My '65 also has an F on the neck plate.
    [​IMG]

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  5. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Strat-Talker

My 65 has a F neck plate too with a 120 000 number. The best explaination for the L in the serial number is that there were a mistake in a neck plate batch back in 63 when they got to number 100 000. The 1 has been (apparently) accidentaly replaced by a L. So they used these L plates till L99 999, which led them to year 1965. And then started again from 100 000 with the new F plate which is the plate of this new CBS area during this year, changing the logo too for transitional, already big size logo letters, but golden color, and still thin fonts for model name. 65 is the very beginning of this period as Leo Fender sold the company in the first days of January. One of the many transition years. Then big cross arrived in 66 (transitional small logo on big head, typical 66), then F tuners and big black logo and typeface in 67…

Strat Jacket likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.