Join Strat-Talk Today

1974 Fender Stratocaster -- please give me your input

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Brother_Hesekiel, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Brother_Hesekiel

Brother_Hesekiel Strat-Talk Member

I am considering making an offer on this '74 Strat, as it ticks all my boxes: super lightweight, genuine vintage with 3-bolt neckplate, light relic, yet still . . . "affordable." Since I'm no expert, I'd like you to give me your input regarding possible issues, incorrect details, etc.

Thank you!

https://reverb.com/item/18964241-fender-stratocaster-maple-hardtail-sunburst-1974

That said, I'm really confused about the 6.25 lbs. weight. That would be the opposite of a boat anchor, which is what Strats from those years usually are.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    4stratshere likes this.
  2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

I would ask for some more detailed pics for that kind of money. I have heard that neck pockets can be quite sloppy on some Fenders of this era...like fit a quarter in sloppy.

franklyn13 and AngelDeVille like this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

The weights were actually all over the place, during all of the 70's and into the 80's. So an occasional light weight would not be that unusual. Although 6.5 pounds would have been rare.

gjohnson441496 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

I think I’d top out at around $1,800ish depending on those pictures...

But it does look pretty good, and they aren’t making any more from that year.

Stratbats likes this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Seems very overpriced.

CyFan4036, vid1900 and TN703800 like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Canada Strat-Talk Supporter

I would think that because it's not Pau Ferro on the fretboard, it's inferior and you should pass on it.

Seriously though, it's overpriced by like $750-1000

Stratbats, Yves, TN703800 and 3 others like this.
  7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

I’m lost... is Pau Ferro good or bad this week? It was cool when SRV used it, but then it’s not cool when Fender puts it into regular production....

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog ALSO BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Not when you're selling. As we all know, eeeevvvverrybody wants to chop your price down no matter how fair you think tag it. Have to leave room for that. Plus, flippers have multiplied by leaps & bounds the last couple of decades. They are constantly scanning listings & are usually the early birds with the low ball offers when (whatever) product first hits the block.

9. 4stratshere

4stratshere Strat-Talk Member

Hi , if the tremolo system is an all in one bridge plate / block / with alloy saddles don't pay too much for the guitar and if the pickups are flat polepiece units they don't sound that good . I had a 1974 Fender strat that I bought new and when I was lucky enough to get a 1969 all original model I asked a roadie to check out the differences live and the 69 came up much better but if the price is not too high for the '74 go with it . Cheers and hope this helps.

Yves likes this.
  10. Brother_Hesekiel

Brother_Hesekiel Strat-Talk Member

Purely price-wise, if there are no issues, I'm thinking $2K is a fair offer.

11. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't think that's the original case.
    I don't remember my '78 case having a snap/tab to secure the accessory box, but it's been 40 years so I could be wrong.

12. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

In that condition, without being all original, I think the seller is asking too much. I have a 79 that is all original, with hardly any playwear, near mint. It too is a hardtail, and had it’s original case in really good condition, and I paid a hell of a lot less. You also need to take the neck off and see if there is any shimming going on. The neck pockets on the 70’s three bolt necks are known to have issues of improper fit. There are a couple for sale on the forum that would be a better deal

13. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Look at the wear on the headstock and body. Appears the guitar has been exposed to moisture. The description of the pickups is a little confusing.
    Saddles have been changed.

Check out the top of the back of the headstock near the tuner. Is that a huge chip that goes into the tuner?

That guitar is a strong pass for me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  14. 3bolt79

It’s not worth more than 1600$ in my estimation. You must really want it if your willing to pay 2 grand. Seriously, I think I would probably walk.

CyFan4036 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  15. Smylight

Smylight Strat-Talker

Bear with me.

At some point in 1973 a friend of mine had managed to scrape together 330$ CDN, which bought a brand-new Strat at the time. We went to the Fender dealership together and proceeded to try all 13 Strats that hung on the wall. It became obvious fairly rapidly that not one of them was a good, let alone a great guitar. He picked the one we found to be the less wanting, perhaps a bit because it was identical to the one Jimi played at Woodstock.

My friend did not hang to it for very long as he managed to get hold of a battered '63 a few years later as the vintage thing was getting going. It was head and shoulders above the Hendrix clunker. Which had been the best of a group of 13.

Another friend recently bought a '75 hardtail. Surprise, it's an even worse player. It's never getting out for playing, any partscaster runs rings around it. The thing's fairly dead.

Having been playing in the 70s, I'll never consider buying a guitar made in the US during those troubled times. For any kind of money. A clunker's a clunker, whatever the internet says, and the 70s produced way more lemons than great guitars. A great axe was an anomaly rather than the norm back then. That's why the US makers went south and the Japanese picked up on them.

So I say... don't buy a clunker. More importantly, get to try it before you decide. Else get a reissue if you insist on the 70s look. They're consistently better than the 70s ones IMHO.

Have a nice, peaceful day.

Pierre
    www.torvisse.com

16. 3bolt79

There are those of us here on the forum that own these anomalies. Let me say that I bought my 79 strat from a dealer who also happens to be a friend. I had the good fortune of having a vintage expert go through my guitar, from top to bottom before I bought it. The pots, pickups, all solder joints were original. It had its original frets that had no wear on them, and the neck pocket was perfect. It looked pretty much like a brand new guitar, with the exception of a few light scratches on the pick guard. And I got to play it before I bought it. I paid $1800 dollars for it. And people will tell you that I paid too much, but I didn’t mind paying a little more based on its condition.

Seriously, take a look at the ones in the forum’s classifieds. There were three 70’s strats in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago. I think there is one or two left now. These come up all the time on reverb and eBay. You can get a real one for the price of a used AVRI. Just take some time, and research them a little before you make any offers. You can find a good 70’s Strat for a reasonable price. It just might take awhile.

Stratapotamus likes this.
  17. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I had two. '78 Antigua, which was a GREAT guitar in every way, and a '79 Silver Anniversary, which was as bad as the Pukeburst was good.
    Weak tone, horrible feeling neck, no sustain. It was strange... it really was a "dead" guitar and in 40 years I've never understood why.
    I had a perceived problem with the '78 fretting out. I strapped it to my bicycle and rode out to Fullerton. The guy said that I had the best neck he had seen leave that factory in a long time, and pointed out that I simply had the action too low.
    Today? I wish I still had both of them.

JP64, thxphotog, Robins and 1 other person like this.
  18. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

You can buy it for me. I was born in ‘74.

kris ford, Robins and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. 3bolt79

That Antigua would be something special today all right.

Yeah, part of getting my 79 was the nostalgia attached to that year. I remember being 10 years old, and sitting in my room, and wishing that I had one just like the one i have now, same color anyway, and big headstock. I think my first time seeing a Stratocaster was when I saw Hall and Oates on TV. I didn’t really get into music until I was 10, but at the time a strat was all I wanted, and to get one from that time made it extra special.

Robins, TN703800 and CB91710 like this.
  20. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

All of these observations are pure personal opinion.
    The very thing you might think a clunker might be better (or the pinnacle of idealist instrumentation) for someone else.

So lets not get too ahead of ourselves with casting aspersions on eras......especially when you've barely tried any.

Stratapotamus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.