Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1977-9 Factory Antiqua partscaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Dan Skammmer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Dan Skammmer

Dan Skammmer Strat-Talk Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Saugerties, N.Y.
    First off , I'm new here, wanted to say hello to everyone,hope everyone is well . Last year I purchased a "1977 stratocaster" on local CL off a local guitar dealer who specializes in high end Gibson LP reissues . I did purchase it at what I thought was a fair price for a late 70's strat with a OHSC even though it weighed 10lbs. It is in nice condition with low miles, nice straight maple neck .. i believed it to be a 1977 since the the neck decal has a S7 serial # and was informed it 's pot codes were 1977 by the seller. After a couple weeks my curiousity got the best of me and i removed the pickguard assembly. He was right , the bottom tone pot had a '77 date , the others i couldn't read from solder drops. It also had a a 3 way switch, i had read Fender started using 5 ways that year. The p/u codes were hard to read but they looked like they had '78 dates.On the bottom of the pickguard was a factory Fender serial sicker with a S9xxxxx serial #, so I have a strat with two serial numbers that don't match. The bridge , tuners , tremelo arm , neck plate ,etc all looked period correct. I felt like i had been had somewhat , So to me the 1977 Antiqua didn't really seem to be true after all. At this point I'm thinking of selling,I just don't know what to date it as ...a 1977-9? Would anyone like to weigh in when you get a chance? thanks D.

2. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I thought 1976 was when they started with the 5 way. Got that info from Dan Erlewine when he did the refret on my hardtail natural.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I thought it was '78.

4. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It is possible that the pickguard was swapped, but AFAIK, pickguards never had serial numbers, maybe it's a part number.

Have you ever taken the neck off? There should be a date stamp on the neck heel.

5. Dan Skammmer

Mar 8, 2018
    Saugerties, N.Y.
    No, I haven't taken the neck off, most of the time you can't read the numbers on the heel of the neck , also I believe the sticker on the pickguard was a serial # sticker since it had S9xxxxx, that would be a guitar stock serial #. it usually is in the body cavity if i remember.

6. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Pics would be a huge help if you can post them.

7. Dan Skammmer

Mar 8, 2018
    Saugerties, N.Y.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Most of the time you can read the numbers on the neck heel.

Checking that neck date is the only way you are going to know for sure.

Also, any number on the pickguard is no indication of anything, because they are so easily, and often, replaced.

9. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I've read that it's fairly common for numbers on necks and bodies to be of different years on original Strats. It just means when they assembled it, the parts they picked up off the shelves were not made the same year.

11. Dan Skammmer

Mar 8, 2018
    Saugerties, N.Y.
    that would be a best case scenario for me, I have a feeling that an old 3 way switch might have been installed a one point , if only guitars could talk.

12. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Looks like a 77 Antigua to me. Very possible that it’s all or mostly original. Also possible that the original pickguard was damaged and someone found an original for it. Also possible that the neck and body left Fullerton on different guitars.

Personally, if I liked the guitar, I’d declare it to be original enough and keep it.

Ebidis likes this.

13. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    CBS did for a while put little paper stickers with the serial number on the bodies in the neck pocket and on the back of the pickguard; my old '79 Lead II had them. I don't think they did that for very long - I was thinking maybe 1978 through 1982? It would have certainly ended when CBS ended production at the end of 1984.

14. Dan Skammmer

Mar 8, 2018
    Saugerties, N.Y.
    This fender sticker on the bottom of the pickguard was certainly a serial # from '79 , but it did not match the serial '77 serial # on the headstock. Technically they are supposed to match, aren't they?

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Once again, pickguards are easily and often replaced. It is entirely possible that everything on the guitar is original other than the pickguard.

You need to remove the neck, and check the date stamp, and also see if there are any markings in the neck pocket on the body.

16. Dan Skammmer

Mar 8, 2018
    Saugerties, N.Y.
    you're right i should take the neck off, if I remember I saw a pic of the neck heel and the numbers were too hard to read, like the ink wasn't clear , the neck is set pretty nice right now , I don't want to screw it up. Maybe I'll bring it to my guitar tech in Albany. Let me ask you this, what is the codes on the heel of the neck gonna tell me that the serial # on the headstock doesn't? let me know. thanks