Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1979 yes or no please help

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Itnixon, May 20, 2012.

1. Itnixon

Itnixon New Member!

I have an option to trade my les paul studio for a monaco yellow strat 1979. Concerns does not have original pick ups and neck looks beat bad and the rest i just dont know so please help.

Attached Files:

2. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Senior Stratmaster

I would play it beforehand. If you lie it by all means go for it

3. airmanbrown

airmanbrown Strat-Talker

I would trade a LP Studio for it for sure.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

I don't know about authenticity, I'll leave that to the forum experts, but it looks amazing!

6. Itnixon

Itnixon New Member!

the neck seems to be the only real thing the tuners are wrong and the body is mint and the yellow is off

7. Itnixon

Itnixon New Member!

I think its a yellow white reissue with a 79 neck

8. ZackiHendrix

ZackiHendrix Strat-Talker

it could be the lighting, but it looks too dark/greenish to be monaco yellow... And as someone else pointed out, the tuners aren't original.

9. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

It's a COOL color. One of the International Series? If so, it could be a good find. Will probably be on the heavier side.

10. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Monaco Yellow comes from the "international colour series" strats which were issued in 1981 and included other colours like Morocco Red, Capri Orange, Maui Blue, etc. The original ones had black pickup covers and knobs. The necks were of the large headstock, 3-bolt + bullet truss rod configuration, just like the 70's models.

So, although the serial number would indicate that it's a '79 neck, it might actually be the guitar's original one as it's not uncommon to find strats with earlier serial numbers - probably due to either neck or decal overstocking.

One thing I noticed - although the pic is not that clear - is that the neck apprears be scalloped (and refretted) like the Malmsteen strat, so you might want to try it first plus you should be aware that such a modification might devalue the guitar a bit.

But overall you are right, the wear on the neck is not consistent with the wear on the body and hardware so proceed with caution. The seller should be willing to take the neck and pickguard off so you can see some heel/neck/body dates - if he doesn't, walk away.

11. Strat edgy

Strat edgy Strat-Talker

That neck looks great!, However, there's no way that it got that well played on that body, unless there are alot of scratches and dings that don't show in this picture. Or it's a refin. My guess is it's NOT a refin, but, a rebod, I would have a good look around under the hood, and see what else has gone on, besides the changed pick-ups, tuners, rebody or refin, new pick guard. etc...etc...etc...
    Having said that, how does it play & sound? Do you like it better than your LPS?
    The guitar looks way cool to me! love the oddball color, and that old, comfortable well worn neck!

12. Frogger

Frogger Strat-Talker

I would not do it. Late 70's Strats where hit and miss at best. I owned a few so I know.

13. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Agree with the others, something looks off about how clean the body is compared to the neck. It'd be like checking out a used can with 30K on the clock but the leather and steering wheel are all beat to ****. If you can verify the body is legit, I'd trade a Les Paul Studio for it in a heartbeat. Late-70s Strats may have been relatively hit-or-miss compared to today's quality control, but I've played some GREAT 70s Fenders, and some of the occasional problems like the sloppy neck joint can easily be fixed with some shimming.

14. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

From the prices on EBay a 1979 Strat neck alone is worth as much as a used LP Studio.

15. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Senior Stratmaster

I love 70's Strat's but I wouldnt do that trade. That guitar looks like a partscaster essentially, and not a very good one. I'd bet the neck is the only 70's part on it, and it's in pretty bad shape.

Also, with what 70's Strats currently sell for, nobody who has a fairly original one is going to trade it for an LP studio, imo.

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The color, IMO, is ugly as sin.

If you like it, and have thoroughly checked out the authenticity, then go for it.

17. SkinnyMan1825

SkinnyMan1825 Strat-O-Master

After reading this thread I say don't.

18. mozzarate

mozzarate Banned

I'm all for vintage and beat up strats. But I wouldn't trade your Les Paul for this. If it was a strat from'54-'70 I would go for it

19. GuitarAJ

GuitarAJ Most Honored Senior Member

Lol. "The colour reminds me of...

[​IMG]

...but the important thing is if you like it !!" [​IMG] :mrgreen:

Seriously though, It looks like a good player. It depends on your personal tastes. LP or 79 Strat. We can't make those type of decisions for you. Well.....we can :twisted:....but this situation doesn't call for it. :)

Good luck.

20. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 I Love my Lester. Strat-Talk Supporter

North Wales and London,originally off Flint.
    The hardware should be black the original black plastic could cost up to £500 with pups mine sounds great with cs69s, the off colour is due to the nitro overcoat of the poly, ageing:)

21. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

That would be like someone offering to trade a '54 to '70 Vette for your used Accord.