Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

1984 Tokai Goldstar Stratocaster I.D help

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Axegrinder2018, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Axegrinder2018

Axegrinder2018 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Hello everyone, I am new to this site, and Tokai guitars for that matter. I am hoping someone here can help me identify a Tokai GS that i am looking at purchasing here in Australia. First of all the tuners are not original, they have been swapped out for what i think are Gotoh locking tuners. The seller claims that there is very little if any oxidization on the hardware also which does surprise me a little for a 34 year old guitar. I cant see any serial numbers on the back neck plate in the photo's, not saying that they arent there. Pickups look like staggered poles PU's. I have put a link up of the guitar, and the pics are not very detailed so it is hard to identify. The bridge trem saddles should have stamps right? Any thoughts and info from you guys is muchly appreciated.

Thank You ..

Oh, I cant post the link yet as i am only new to this site.. that makes things difficult without you guys seeing the guitar. Any info about things i need to look out for regarding originality is welcome. :)

2. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    The guitar can be found on Gumtree Australia under search Tokai guitars Australia. It is sunburst in colour and a Goldstar 1984 model if that helps.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    You should be able to copy and paste the URL, even it it's not posted as a link.

4. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Jim, Thank you for your reply. Yes i have tried that but was unable until i meet some new member requirements. I shall try once again.

Thank you

5. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Jim, Thank you for your reply. Yes i have tried that but was unable until i meet some new member r

6. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    It's not a big deal, but I don't mean to try to post the link, just the URL. If you have to, type the URL manually. If necessary, use "dot-com" instead of .com, but I doubt you'll have to do that.

8. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Hmm.. not happening unfortunately. Thanks anyway Jim. I think i have enough info from searching around to help me. Tuners are definitely not original. I cant see the serial number on the back neck plate due to the distance and angle of the picture so i will ask him for a close up. The bridge saddles should have Final Prospec from research. Otherwise without actually pulling the guitar apart it is very hard to tell anything. I will look for the details that are outward on the guitar and go from there. Hopefull its all above board and i will post some pictures.

Thank you :)

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    If I can see the guitar, I'll do my best to help. But I can't see the guitar.....

Axegrinder2018 likes this.
  10. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
  11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree. The string tree has also been changed for an American Standard type, which looks a little strange. The tuners puzzle me though. If it had been an ST40, with the rather dodgy trap shaped tuners, I could understand why they would have been changed. But, from the holes, it must have been an ST50 or above with Klusons. Why would anyone change Klusons? They looked better, weighed less, & easily last 30+ years.

As for the rest of the guitar, it's hard to see anything meaningful from those pics. We can't see the serial number & we can't see what is stamped on the bridge saddles, never mind see what's under the scratchplate.

12. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Thank you both very much for your reply's. Yes tuners are not original and string tree swapped out for roller yes. The seller is back today and i will ask him for confirmation on neck plate serial and bridge saddle stamps, if any. That will help narrow it down a bit apart from pulling the guitar apart for inspection. Money wise.. He is slightly negotiable but if its not original, or to far from original then im feeling its to expensive and i wont be going ahead with it. What are your thoughts on a 'fair' price for these Tokai's? Thank you.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there something wrong with that headstock? Something doesn't look quite right. I'm comparing it to this,

IMG_3785.JPG
    & this

IMG_2698.JPG

Or is it just the angle of the decal that's throwing me off?

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It's hard to comment on prices on a different continent, I have nothing to compare it to really. Are these common or rare in Australia? Loads were sold here in the 80s so they are fairly common, but I don't think many countries had them as widely distributed as we did. Over here I would expect around the £400 mark, maybe £450? What the changes knock off that is hard to say - £30? £40?

15. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    The headstock looks similar, your photo's show more gloss and the gumtree shot does not. I see the curvature of the nut looks the same. Same decal lettering as far as i can tell. Tokai's in Australia are not that common. The prices range from $550 and a shop here has a Silver Star for $1050. If this 84 GoldStar checks out ok then i think for the condition it is in $600 would be a good price here in Oz.

I will get more details from the seller here and let you guys know my findings. Thank you for your support, I appreciate it. :)

16. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Play ability is where it is at for me. Yes i want a Tokai as close to original for sure, but i have heard great things about the feel of these guitars and the necks and craftsmanship is excellent.

17. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Off topic, Here is another guitar that i have purchased recently. Its a Squier Protone 1997 strat made in Korea in excellent + condition. Oh the Joy of Guitars! 20181105_170325_resized.jpg 20181105_170331_resized.jpg 20181105_170402_resized.jpg 20181105_170443_resized.jpg 20181105_170453_resized.jpg 20181105_170325_resized.jpg 20181105_170331_resized.jpg