Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1988 Korean Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Chrisso, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Chrisso

Chrisso New Member!

Jul 18, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    I have a Korean Squire Strat which I bought new in January 1988 so it could have been made in 1987. Serial Number is E100522. Haven't a clue what wood it's made out of. Not thinking of selling it as it's a great back up guitar when strings break mid song but I'm curious to see if it's got any sort of value. Wouldn't have thought so but anybody any ideas. Cheers.

2. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    Most E-serial MIKs are plywood. Some others are either Basswood or Alder. It depends, they were made by at least two different contractors (Young Chang and Samick). If you are curious to whether it is plywood you can usually tell really easily if you pull off the jack plate or back cover. The uniform alternating direction grain patterns of the plies are usually very easy to spot. To determine what wood it is you may need to scratch off some paint inside the routings or rear trem spring cavity area where it won't show so you can see the grain patterns...

Anyway, if you can, please post some pictures and people here will be able to tell you more about your guitar. Preferably large high res pics of the whole guitar front and back and closeups of the headstock front and back, and if possible pull off the neck and take pics of the heel of the neck and the neck pocket and pull off the pickguard and post some pics of underneath and the back side of the pickguard so we can see the electronics.

FWIW, as far as value goes... not a whole lot, and it depends on whether yours is plywood and whether the hardware is the earlier style US/Japan spec or the cheaper Asian grade parts used on most later MIKs. Generally these sell here in the Austin, TX area for $75-$125. Austin is a cheap guitar town and guitars are from what I gather just silly overpriced over in the UK, so you would probably get a bit more than just what you'd expect from the USD to UKP exchange rate. UK folks have often said the UK prices tend to be more like £1 per $1, so you might expect to get more like £75-£125 for yours over on that side of the pond.

3. 1998ccc

1998ccc Strat-Talk Member

Feb 15, 2011
    NC USA
    Is a digit missing from your serial #? All the ones I've seen w/ the silver serial # are E1 + 6 #'s.

The early MIK's are great guitars and come with USA hardware. I have one as well and it's a solid wood body. Most of the early ones are solid or solid w/ thin cap like current MIM's. The plywood generation started a little bit later in the MIK run.

The only real "cheap" bits on the early MIK's are the electronics and they seem to bring a little more $ than the later standard MIK's.

4. softwarejanitor

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    Not all of the E1's are silver serials... the silver serial ones from my understanding were made by Samick, the black serialed ones were either made by Young Chang or possibly Sung-Eum.

5. J.A.H

J.A.H Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2010
    Norway
    Have a Young-Chang (with the black roller trees, and "fender" tuners..) ..it has silver e1 serial.

6. softwarejanitor

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    There is little or no rhyme or reason on the early MIKs that I can tell... It is often easier to just assume that they are a strange mismash of parts thrown together.

7. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    I thought E was Young Chang and S Samick? S is more likely to be ply than E, but there are significantly more Ply E's than solid bodies. I also thought E10 was 1990. Could be wrong tho, my S9 was bought new in 1991.

E's are also more likely to be cheesy hardware than S's. But both are good guitars IMHO.

8. softwarejanitor

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    Samick made the S's, as far as I know all of them... E's on the other hand were made by both Young Chang and Samick and possibly Sung-Eum as well.

From what I understand E10 + 5 digits I think was 1987-1988, E10 + 6 digits some were 1987-1988, others 1990-1991. I don't know exactly how black vs. silver serials figures into the dates...

Bascially E serials are a mess to figure out.

9. Ausquier

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Aha, that would make sense. Some E necks I have seen look suspiciously like Samick necks.

10. 1998ccc

Feb 15, 2011
    NC USA
    Has anyone actually seen a black serial # E1 / E10? Wiki mentions them but I've never seen one. Wiki also states Young Chang and Samick made E serial #'s so can that be right since Samick had the S?

If you buy into the black string tree theory, then Young Chang made the silver E1's. I have my doubt's that they made the E9's based on neck widths and the neck sticker, but maybe they changed for 89.

From Wiki.

E = Young Chang, E letter serial numbers were used on Young Chang's Fenix brand guitars

"E1 + 6 digits with silver serial = made by Samick in 1987-88.

"E1" with black serial = made by Sung-Eum in 1991.

11. Ausquier

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Samick nuts are 43mm, can anyone verify the width of an E nut?

12. 1998ccc

Feb 15, 2011
    NC USA
    My silver E1 is 42mm. My buddies E9 is 43mm Both feel flat...12" radius...but I haven't measured them.

Both have the wide USA string spacing bridges w/ Fender saddles. Mine has Fender tuners, he got the traps.

13. Ausquier

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    If you check the pages I posted in the MIM thread, they are listed as 12" rad. The old Frontline mags had the same specs from 90 to 93. I.e. E10(ish) to early VN. I'll double check the dates later. My S9 is a typical model, 62 pattern guard, ply body, schaller type tuners, full size US spec trem and zinc block.

14. Viking

Viking Strat-Talk Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    I have a E10+ 5 digits, silver Squier logo, gotoh stamped tuning machines, US spec trem with full size block, ply body.
    My calipers tell me the nut measures 1.655 in. The online converter I used says 42.037mm.
    Don't know about the radius, might have to check that tomorrow.

15. 1998ccc

Feb 15, 2011
    NC USA
    Is the serial # silver or just the logo? Still trying to confirm the wiki black e10 entry.

This was a newbie thread a few weeks back on a black serial S10. I guess we scared him off when we asked him to take his guitar apart. :)

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squ...shop-korean-strat-opinions-advice-please.html

16. Viking

Viking Strat-Talk Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    Silver logo + silver serial#, and it's a 9.5 radius.

17. Ausquier

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne

18. 1998ccc

Feb 15, 2011
    NC USA
    Below is some information I dug up on the Ibanez board. They are trying to figure out MIK as well.
    Here is a list of a few published Silver E1 serials I dug up after a quick search. Can anyone make them fit a formula? I think it's more proof they were made by Young Chang since they don't appear to follow the below guides.

E1004489
    E1038961
    E1015248
    E1037418

The following quoted from IbanezCollectorsWorld

What I know for certain is that the Saehan factory is in Korea and that they made Vester guitars and later Rock Axe.
    And they seem to be involved in Squier production. I remember that they made good telecaster replicas for Vester. Vester got sued by Fender and had to change their name.

Now looking at the part you were linking to, I read this:

---------------------------------------------------------

"Korean built guitars:

8 CHARACTERS
    Sung Eum Factory http://www.crafter.co.kr/main.html
    Example serial number E9052345
    E=Sung Eum
    9=1999
    05= May So 01=Jan 12=Dec
    2345= 2345th guitar built for that month

9 CHARACTERS
    Cort Factory Acoustics and Electrics start with C
    eg C03071234
    C=Factory
    03=2003
    07=July
    1234=1234th guitar built for that month

Saehan Factory: acoustics start with SQ, electrics start with S
    A = Sae-In ::: Shine Guitars (Saein Musical Instrument Co.,Ltd) :::
    C = Cort Cort Guitars and Basses
    P = Peerless http://peerlessguitar.com/
    S = Samick 90 - 95, Sejan 91 - present
    Y = Yoojin Yoojin Industrial Co., Ltd. HomePage[Guitar]
    These other factories follow the same serial number pattern as the Cort Korean factory."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

19. Ausquier

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Vester is VN, mid nineties. I reckon we need to set up a brain storm. :mrgreen:

20. meldew2121

meldew2121 New Member!

Jan 9, 2012
    South Africa
    Hi,

I have a Korean made Fender Squire 2 stratocaster. Its serial is :s971053
    Cld anyone help me with the date of the guitar ? I gogled the serial and came up empty handed,
    Regards
    Meldew