Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

1988 Korean Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Chrisso, Jul 18, 2011.

1. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    Around 1989, but possibly as late as 1991.

2. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

May 28, 2009
    Wales UK
    My E series E102***[1987] has silver logo,US spaced trem with fender stamped saddles,gotoh tuners. The body is solid witha 2mm venner top and bottom

3. Jsaltzberg

Jsaltzberg New Member!

Sep 4, 2013
    NJ
    Some more info on these guitars. I have 3 MIK Squiers & 1 MIK Fender E10, 2 E10 squiers and 1 E9 squier. The E9 is garbage compared to the E10, tho it does come standard with full size trem block/fender stamped saddles it has plywood body, thicker neck and crappy tuners, crappy pickups.

The E10's are on different level. Solid Alder bodies, beautiful necks, fender tuners, rolling string trees, full size trem block etc.. The pickups are pretty decent too, 1 of mine came with ceramic pu's with full size pots, the other came with cermaic pu's with mini pots. Both of which have been swapped out. The MIK Fender is the exact same guitar as the Squier just with better pu's and pots.

I have a white on white with rosewood FB like pictured above, its MINT condition, I loaded her up with some CS 68 reverse wound Hendrix Style PU's taken off a Voodoo Strat(not by me) and it sounds, plays and feels stellar. The E9 is now on ebay for sale with upgraded tuners, EMG pu's and a new nut. I will also be selling the Fender MIK shortly.

I also have 3 MIJ's, one Squier w/System 1, 1 Fender with System 1 and one Squier Standard. Its weird because the Squier Standard MIJ doesnt sound as good as the Squier System 1, the contour of the body on the MIJ Squier Standard is a little more flat, it doesnt have that nice heel that the MIK E10 does, but it does have the black rolling string trees and original PU's, which are the same as the PU's on the Squier System 1

The Fender MIJ w/system 1 has the same body contour as the MIK's.. So in short, the take away from all this is look for MIK E10, they are pretty much top notch Fender Strats minus a logo and a some electronics. The necks are thin but the feel so solid compared to the chunky neck of the E9.

Serial # info:

Fender MIJ System 1: E5xxxx
    Squier MIJ System 1: E7xxxx
    Squier Standard MIJ: E6xxxx

Fender MIK Standard: E10xxxx
    Squier MIK White: E10xxx
    Squier MIK Black: E10xxx
    Squier MIK red: E9xxxx

4. 1neeto

1neeto Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Hawaii
    That's some thread resurrection! Good info though. Mine is S983222 and the previous owner told me he bought it new in 1989. Crappy hardware and electronics but it was easy to fix.

5. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Its rare for an S9 to have crappy hardware, unless its Squier II or one of the later odd ones.

6. 1neeto

1neeto Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Hawaii

7. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Yeah, that's a Squier II. Different from the bulk of Squier S9's.

8. Sludgefeast

Sludgefeast New Member!

Aug 1, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Hello gang. I signed up since I've owned an old Squier and was always confused of the year and make. Figured I would ask you guys, since you seem to be experts.

I own a Squier that just says "SQUIER" on the headstock, and then a silver serial that reads E822614. But that seems to be inconsistent with other numbers and patterns I have read about. It is just a basic strat, though I am also a lefty. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

I can post pics if needed.

Scottz likes this.

9. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Pics definitely required!

10. Sludgefeast

Sludgefeast New Member!

Aug 1, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Here they are (hopefully I attached them correctly)

Attached Files:

11. stratmanshow

stratmanshow Strat-Talk Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Victoria BC Canada
    Yes.
    Welcome
    This really should be a new thread...your guitar is made in Japan around 87-88. You can only be (semi) sure if you check the heel of the neck. It is commonly referred to as SST 62 (Squier STratocaster, loosly based on a 62 Strat). Yours looks very nice and somewhat rare, being a lefty, but has a smaller market. The E8 were the last MIJ exports until 92.
    The E10 is named as such because it has an extra digit. The E10 & E7 serials were the first made Squier Strats in Korea by Young Chang in at least 87 possibly as early as 86. They have similar specs to the E7 E8 MIJ Squiers.
    Gotoh or Fender sealed tuners and a full tremolo block (different shape than Japan) with stamped steel saddles, black roller trees, identical logo, and they are referred to as ST357 and ST 362 ..but thats it.
    The necks are very different and (advertised) 12" radius, the pickups are different, the pickguard pattern is 62 or 57 ish but not standard, and most notably the bodies are NOT solid wood although the core is. They are covered front and back with a 1/8" maple veneered ply with usually a multi-piece solid alder core.
    The most desirable (or undesirable depending on your taste) trait is the slim- backed necks. They are standard C shape but have less "shoulder" along the fretboard edge.

The E9 was the next (transitional) downgrade to full ply body, different pickups again, dime pots, 2 piece headstock, "trapezoid" can tuners and a more standard C shape and no rolled edges. Everthing went further downhill from this point until the ProTone saved Squier Korea's rep

I speculate....that the E7 preceded the E10 by a short period. Japan was still making export Squiers at this time and there may have been some conflict with both makers using the same prefix until E9 (89)...speculate I said;)

12. Jimiearl

Jimiearl Strat-Talk Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Redding California

13. Jimiearl

Aug 29, 2016
    Redding California
    My MIK Strat has black serial # E939330. Is that an 89? How likely to have a solid body?

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    It's more than likely solid alder with maple top and back veneer.... E9 can be 1987 to 1989....

15. Jimiearl

Aug 29, 2016
    Redding California
    My
    Thanks so much!

16. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    1989/90

17. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    There is some confusion here let me state one more time E10s and E7s are not plywood. Alder and Maple as Guitarmageddon says

18. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Sorry it's lengthy but here is the full deal on MIKs
    Step 1 on making IDs... The headstock logo... Korean models with an all black headstock logo with always be thin plywood body... Always... They will also be the lowest of the low among MIK models... These black logo models were built between 1992 and 1995... Models like the CN2, VN4, CN3 and etc... So when ya see all black headstock logo on a Korean Squier there is no need to know anything more on it. Just pass and wait for the next one to pop up... Then there are the other 2 colors they did MIK headstock logos in... Silver and Gold...

They only used Silver headstock logos on MIK models built in the late 80s and then on the CN2, CN3 and VN3 Fender Squier Series strats built in 1992 and 1993... These CN2, CN3 and VN3 Fender Squier Series Strats will have a silver Fender logo on the headstock with a small Squier Series in black near the end of the headstock... So if it says Squier and not Fender in Silver on the headstock logo and its Korean it HAS to be an 80's model...

Now there is the plywood vs wood body thing again... While all black logo Korean models will be plywood most silver logo MIK models will also be plywood. Except 1 lineup... The 87' E7 and E10 models built by Young Chang... The other silver logo Squiers would be the CN/VN Fender Squier Series stuff(full width plywood body), the E9 models(full width ply), S9 models(full width ply) and S10 models(full width ply). Then you would also have the Squier II models as well that also came with silver headstock logos. They also came with E9, S9, M1 and J1 serial numbers... These Squier IIs were the only silver logo Squiers to come with a thin plywood body. The other plywood body silver logo models are all full width body...

Then there is the gold logo Squiers built in Korea... If it has a gold logo it will be a full width alder body or it will be ash if its a ProTone... They didnt start building MIK Squiers with gold logos until mid 1995... So starting in 1995 you see the CN5, CN6 gold logo models. VN5, VN6 VN7 gold logo models. KV97 and KV98 models and the the ProTones... All have gold logos. All have full width wood bodies...

Ok... So going back over what we just read... Black logo would mean thin plywood and worst of worst... Silver would mean possible full width plywood body but wood on the 87' Young Chang models... Gold would mean full width alder or ash if its a ProTone... We also end up with a logo scheme matching a time period. Silver for 80's. Black for 92' to mid 95'. Gold for mid 95' to 98'... So now we can start matching up periods with certain logo colors and certain specs as well... Wood vs Ply... Based on logo color...

Scottz and West Coast Idea like this.

19. mduganjr

mduganjr Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2016
    Covington, Louisiana
    I have a Squier HM that is Korean and I love it. It's super fun to play and has a plywood body. I would be intrigued to find out of it's a Samick or not. It's my first Korean guitar.

[​IMG]

20. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Just to be clear my previous post is not my work it's taken from Roccobagodonuts (or something like that) who is the most knowledgeable person I know on Korean Squiers. Don't want to take credit that's not due.