Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

2 point tremolo to 6 point conversion....

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by afrank9000, Feb 25, 2013.

1. afrank9000

afrank9000 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I did a search and did not find anything too recent or incredibly informative on this so.... here goes:

I want to know if anyone has experience swapping a vintage 6 point or import spaced 6-point tremolo onto a strat with American Standard 2 point tremolo???

The donor body in question is an Allparts replacement body, drilled for 2 point tremolo. It has a poor paint job and is getting refinished ANYWAY (that part is not an issue for me) but I do have reservations about casually pulling out these 2 inserts and doweling the holes in, sanding, and redrilling for a 6 point bridge while assuming it will all be hunky dory in the end.

Any issues you could forsee here?

My reasoning for this swap: 1) I HAVE a decent import 6 point bridge that seems to fit. 2) I DONT have a 2-point trem on hand and they are expensive. 3) I want a vintage vibe anyway, i have an amber tinted neck, am refinishing with a 60's fender color, you get the point. 2 point trem is very modern and would stand out in a bad way.

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    How competent are you at precision wood working?

It's not rocket surgery, but it's not a novice mod either.

If you get it wrong, you may not be able to properly intonate the guitar.

I'd probably just spend the extra money on a compatible 2-point bridge. I like the one I have on my American Standard Strat.

3. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the two point and six point,the only difference i can make out is the six point looks better:?:

4. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Like the old carpenter says, measure twice, cut once !!

I am not sure how you would go about pulling those bushings/inserts. Stewmac may have some info and tools for that however.

Probably best to fill the existing holes with dowels, cut them off flush. A buddy of mine has an Affinity Strat that I need to work on for him - a previous owner added in a 2 point trem in place of the 6 screw model. I think they did OK with the trem - but they did horrible on the wiring, and thats what I need to repair.

If you get this to work out... chime in with your info. Would be good info to have on here.

5. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    Callaham at one time (not sure if he still does) made a two-point to six-point conversion kit. I can't remember if it came with new inserts to replace the inserts on the two-point bridge or if it came with the two end screws in a different size to fit the stock inserts. The four middle screws were his standards hardened screws that come with his bridge.

Nick

6. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog The Artist Formerly Known As gt Strat-Talk Supporter

I was going to maybe have done on a Strat. This was at a top notch repair shop & they said it required Luthier surgery. From this particular shop i didnt question their expertise. Then again, they are so busy they certainly don't need the work.
    That guitar wasn't at the top of my list & it's gone now but on one like you've got i wouldn't hesitate to HAVE it done. Seems in your case you wouldn't want the expense.

7. afrank9000

Feb 25, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I guess I should have been more specific.

I've never done it, but ultimately I am confident in my ability to plug the old holes, sand smooth, and re-seal prior to new paint and this mod be essentially undetectable. I'm confident in my ability to align a new bridge as well.

My reservations lie with not knowing if there are any significant differences in these bridges that would rule out them being interchangeable (other than how they attach). Like I said, I dont have a 2-point trem in my possession to compare. When I drop my import 6 pointer in there it seems to cover the bridge hole, seems to line up aesthetically with the pickguard in terms of overall shape, etc. I still need to mount the neck and string up the two "E" strings to see if spacing works fine.

But assuming the woodwork is not a deal breaker for me, and assuming I PREFER a 6 point to a 2 point, any reason not to do this?? I don't see any real advantages to the 2-point bridge, and I don't like the idea of painting a custom 60's Fender color combined with an amber tinted neck, and then having a 2 point trem to skew the vintage vibe.

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    We have had several threads on 2 point tremolos very recently.

It is pretty easy to install one, usually just enlarge the outside holes, but measuring is always a good idea.

Really a very easy mod.

9. afrank9000

Feb 25, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I'm looking to convert from 2-point to 6 point, not the other way around.

10. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

I don't see any big reason not to do it. I have a 2 point trem on one guitar, and thats the one I have blocked with a wood block ! I can see your point of the 60s styling not meshing with the 2 point trem - I am GASsing , for lack of a better term, for a classic looking Strat. Perhaps I will have to settle for re-habbing my tele copy in the 60s style.

11. '57-Strato-Joe

'57-Strato-Joe ---------------------------------

Aug 14, 2012
    Bugtussle, Montana
    You can just bet the import and the American bridges have different hole spacing. Every other import part I've studied has had different specs and are only interchangeable with tons of messing-around-with.

12. Stratosaurus

Stratosaurus Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2006
    Roseburg, OR
    +1 Thank you!

"Two point = lower friction... blah blah blah". Tell that to SRV, Hendrix etc... oh wait they're deceased. Still... there's nothing wrong with a six point. Conversely, there's nothing wrong with a two point.

13. afrank9000

Feb 25, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Im still debating this one. I see no distinct advanatages to a 2-point over a 6 point, other than in my specific case the 2 pointer will drop right in this body I have and that equals less work and a quicker turn around on the re-finishing. (im really itching to have a strat to play again)

It looks like string spacing on the import 6's is going to be a few 16ths of an inch wider and that could cause me some issues.

I might be picking up an aftermarket 2 point bridge, and if I do then this guitar will just be more of a modern strat instead of a vintage style partscaster. (modern tuners instead of my kluson replicas for one thing).

14. mechtech

mechtech Banned

Jan 9, 2013
    Chicago
    I can see absolutely no reason to take a wonderful 2 point trem, and go to a friction laden 6 point type.
    Why give up the wonderful benefits of the 2 point trem??
    Think twice or thrice before diving in.

15. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 5, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    there's no reason not to, as long as you measure properly first. string spacing shouldn't be a factor, as long as the bridge you have is complete, and the neck isn't some weird width. StewMac has good information on measuring to install a new trem.

16. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

if I was you before I started the refinishing process I would drill out the two holes and dowel them so that no holes would be there at all, then you can just start from scratch, just be cautious about spacing and I would use the same wood for the dowel material that the body is made off

17. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    There's a lot wrong with both 2 points and 6 points if you compare them to a real tremolo.

Just my opinion.....take it for what it's worth.

I think Fender trems may be made by Mattell.

[flame suit on - lol]

18. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

what do you consider a real tremolo?

19. NEStrataholic

NEStrataholic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2012
    Massachusetts
    The thing in the amp mistakenly referred to as a vibrato.

20. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    OK call it a whammy if you wish - I didn't start the thread, just going with the flow.

Callaham, Floyd, Kahler, Bladerunner, there's a bunch of real ones - you know the drill.

Just something not made by Mattell.