Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

2 Volumes 1 Tone Strat Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by kingdavidy2k, Oct 16, 2010.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Strat-Talk Member

Has anyone seen a diagram for it?
    It's for my HSS Strat.
    Wanting to have 1 Vol for Neck & Mid (250k), 1 for Hum alone (500k), and a Tone pot for the 2 SC, no need for the hum.

Can someone actually explain the basic concepts on how the lugs on the switch actually works? so we can think of different wirings ourselves?

2. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

If the switch you're using is a CRL type (not enclosed like the switches that are used by Squier) you can actually hold the switch in your hand and move it around to see how it works. The terminal on one end of the switch connects to the "wiper" that moves as you change the switch positions. This is the "common" terminal. The other side of the switch works exactly the same way.

I know how to wire your controls to accomplish what you want, but I'm horrible at making wiring diagrams on the computer and my scanner is shot. This is so frustrating...:neutral:

3. kingdavidy2k

Thanks for that Mike.

Please allow me to help you, help me:D
    I made a diagram of all the lugs in the switch and pots + the wires on the PU and jack. All you have to do is type which connects to where. like A-H, and so on.

I hope this helps

Thanks again Mike

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kingdavidy2k

anyone else cab help me out?

6. Hugh

Hugh Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

7. Hugh

pm Mike and ask him to look at the diagram ... he's online

8. Stratplayer

I'm here now. I forgot all about this until it got brought to the top again.

Best way I can figure would be to wire the pickups directly to the volume controls before taking the signal to the selector switch. This would require a 250K stacked potentiometer for the neck & middle pickups so you can keep their signals separate from each other. In other words, two pots controlled by one shaft/one knob. These are hard to come by but I've seen them somewhere. I'm sure this can be accomplished with one of those 4-pole "super switches" too, and then the pickups could go straight to the switch and then the volume controls like normal. I need to try and work it out on paper, as the super switches lose me when I'm doing it in my head. I'll try to get back to you sooner this time...

9. Stratplayer

Finally got a diagram done for this. It's a horrible mess, as I had to keep scribbling with my pen to get it working again, and my handwriting and artistic abilities aren't my greatest attributes anyway. I used blue for the grounds to try and help make it easier to read. Thought I'd post it here instead of sending it via PM so others could offer their input (not on how messy it is though!:rolleyes: :mrgreen:)

This requires a 4-pole super switch in place of the regular 5-way:

STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Super Switch

And here's the diagram :oops::

[​IMG]

10. kingdavidy2k

Thanks heaps for that Mike, You're a legend!

11. Stratplayer

You're welcome. Couple of notes on this:

1.) Make sure you wire the volume controls as I showed them; not the way Fender normally does it. All I did was switch two wires going to the posts on them. This will keep the bridge volume control from affecting the neck/middle pickups and vice versa.

2.) Make sure you run that jumper wire from pole 2, terminal 0 to pole 4, terminal 0 on the super switch, or your tone control won't function.

3.) The way I have it shown, the tone control will affect the bridge pickup when the switch is in position 2 (bridge & mid). If you don't want this to happen, on pole 2 just jumper terminals 3, 4, and 5 together and run a wire to the tone control from there, omitting the jumper to terminal 2.

I think this pretty much covers it. Any ?s just PM me to draw my attention back here.

12. Hugh

Bookmarked for future ref

13. paleus

paleus Strat-O-Master

Would this also work if you ran the humbucker to its volume pot before the switch and wire the rest normally? You wouldn't have separate volume controls. You would have a master volume, humbucker volume, and master tone. Would that also work? I'm just curious.

14. Stratplayer

kingdavidy2k,

I just found a mistake I made. The wires that go from the switch to the middle posts on the volume controls need to be switched. I kept thinking that if I were to do this I'd want to keep the volume & tone controls for the neck & middle pickups together, and that screwed me up on the diagram. I got it right in the super switch detail though...

15. Stratplayer

If you wired your output from the humbucker to the middle post on the 500K volume control, then the ungrounded side post from the control to pole 1, terminals 1 & 2 of the switch and pole 1, terminal 0 of the switch to the output jack, and everything else was the same, then it would still work exactly as it does on my diagram.

In order to get what you're talking about, you'd keep everything wired as I showed in my diagram, but instead of the wire from the ungrounded side post of the bridge pickup volume control to the output jack, you'd run a wire from that post to the middle post on the other (master volume) control, and another from there to the center post on the tone control. You then wouldn't need pole 2 on the super switch.

16. paleus

paleus Strat-O-Master

Thanks StratPlayer.

17. anma

anma New Member!

i tried this:
    Two Volumes, No Waiting

works ok for me, the change to 500k vol. makes my JB Jr. more clear and defined and closer to the full size JB sound i have in the other guitar.

[​IMG]

18. Stratplayer

I realize this thread has been buried for quite some time, but just in case someone digs it up and tries this wiring in their strat I wanted to correct some mistakes I made. Hopefully the OP doesn't mind, but I figured the best way to show the errors and the fixes for them was to copy & paste the PM he sent me and my response:

19. HCarlH

HCarlH Strat-Talk Member

I'm reviving this thread from the grave for an important question. :?: :)
    I'm not an expert on reading the wiring diagram for the switch, so....

Does this wiring auto-split the bridge humbucker in conjuction with the middle pickup (Position 2)? If not, does anybody know how to do that?

Thank you. :)