Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

2008 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by BuddyHollywood, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talk Member

I just received a 2008 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster that I won on an ebay bid and it is stellar!

The serial number is CGS080400062. The wood grain is tight, the frets are smooth and in great shape, the neck feels really good and seems just a bit thicker than the recent examples I've played in stores. The neck also has some great maple flame in its grain. It is the most solid feeling Squier I have ever played.

Is it a general consensus that when they were introducing this line that they were building guitars that rival a Fender? I think this one plays better, looks better and is built better than my previous 1980's E Series MIJ Fender Stratocaster. I'm excited to plug it in!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. stratdragon92

stratdragon92 Strat-Talk Member

where are the pics? lol

congrats on the new guitar

In my years of playing and buying guitars, I've noticed an odd pattern. It does seem that when Fender releases a new model/series of guitars the initial run seems to get the best reviews. It could be a conspiracy or just the honeymoon factor/excitement of the first owners.

3. Syzygy

Syzygy Strat-Talker

Oh, man...I can't see the pictures either. Bummer.

I'm witholding congratulations until I see some photos ;)

teasing-hurts.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Pic's , or wer'e not sure if its real!
    ...poppa

6. Dr Zombie

Dr Zombie Strat-O-Master

They are just really great Strats! I believe they are still making them that way. Both of mine are much newer and are Saweet!

Have fun...

7. spanker63

spanker63 Strat-O-Master

8. Dr Zombie

Dr Zombie Strat-O-Master

Nice! That's good looking one.

9. Syzygy

Syzygy Strat-Talker

Now congratulations are in order! Enjoy!

10. stratdragon92

stratdragon92 Strat-Talk Member

That is just pure class.

11. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

See, that wasn't so hard! Thats a stellar looking Strat, congrats, and by the way...I want one too! ...........poppa

12. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for fixing the picture. I'm not sure why it wasn't working. I tried editing it and it still didn't work.

I'm loving this guitar. I'm contemplating upgrades to the bridge, pots and switch because this guitar deserves it. I just set up and intonated a Fender Mexican Strat for a friend and this guitar feels just as solid as that one. I figured if I ever have to sell it one day (NO!) that whoever would buy it would be happy with these upgrades under the hood. One thing I'm pretty sure of is the pickups are staying! I am really happy with the tone these Alnico 3 pickups deliver. I heard these pickups were good but I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are.

There is a mod I learned from X guitar player Billy Zoom on another forum and I'm curious to try it but I'm not sure if I should do it with this guitar. He said it's a mod the players from the original Strat days would do so they could have the bridge and neck pickups on at the same time like a Telecaster. They would add a 3 way switch to control the bridge and neck pickups and turn the first tone knob into a volume knob for the middle pickup and connect the pickup directly to the pot and then have the second tone knob be the master tone for the whole guitar. If I did this it would also allow me to blend the middle pickup in any position and also have the middle pickup on by itself by controlling the second volume. This is cool because on these Strats the middle pickup is reverse wound. Another option is to get a Fender Super Switch and turn the middle position into the bridge and neck on together but then I would lose the ability to have the middle pickup on by itself.

I already have a Fender 5 way standard switch and as of today I'm thinking of keeping it a stock Strat. It's fun to consider the options though.

13. hardtail01

hardtail01 Strat-Talker

You could add a small two way toggle switch to turn the neck pickup on in all positions of the regular 5 way switch. It's really easy to wire it up, and you get all of your regular strat sounds, plus a couple new ones.

Or, you could simply swap the hot wires of the neck and middle pickups on the 5 way switch. This would put the neck pickup in position three, and the middle pickup in position 5(all the way up). You lose the bridge/middle combo, but you gain the neck/bridge combo. I always found the neck/bridge combo much more useful than the bridge/middle combo.