Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

20th anniversary squier strat Affinity series

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by anuptuladhar, Jan 11, 2011.

1. anuptuladhar

anuptuladhar Strat-Talk Member

I own one.sounds pretty warm!it is tagged as "crafted in Indonesia"..Can anyone help me out with this?where is it made?and also the specialty of this guitar being a anniversary series?!

2. Krab

Krab ----------------------

It should be from 2002 made in either one of the two factories there. How to tell?

IC: I = Indonesia, C = Cor-Tek (Cort), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.
    IS: I = Indonesia, S = Samick, the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.

3. anuptuladhar

so is this guitar any kind of limited eddition series?!Do you know about any speciality of the guitar being an anniversary series?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. anuptuladhar

6. Krab

From what I remember they were the same as the stock standard of the day but with alnico pups instead of the ceramic ones. That and the 20th logo on it.

7. anuptuladhar

8. ironhead

ironhead Strat-Talk Member

Just bought a used one for $45 in great shape. I contacted Fender to find out more about this guitar. They told me the following:

1. All Squiers made in 2002 are 20th Anniversary models.
    2. Squier Affinity Strats only come with ceramic pickups and the mini 500K pots.

Here's some additional information from Fender:

Squier 2002 Strat Affinity – 20th Anniversary – S/N: IC0209nnnnn 02 = year, 09 = month (Sept) (this s/n is for my guitar)
    Model Name: Squier® Strat®
    Model Number: 032-0800-(Color #) (see codes below))
    Body: Agathis
    Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
    Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
    Width at Nut: 1.61” (41 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Standard Die-Cast Tuners
    Bridge: Synchronous Tremolo
    Pickguard: 1-Ply White
    Pickups: 3 Single-Coil Pickups (Ceramic)
    Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
    Position 3. Middle Pickup
    Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
    Position 5. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Master Volume,
    Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
    Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
    Colors: (506) Black,
    (558) Torino Red,
    (580) Arctic White,
    (590) Baltic Blue,
    (Polyurethane Finish)
    Strings: Fender Super 250L, (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel p/n 073-0250-003
    UNIQUE FEATURES: Dot Position Inlays
    Source: Indonesia
    MSRP: $465.99
    Introduced: 5/2002
    Discontinued: 5/2004

If you remove your pickguard (carefully) and look at the bottom of your pickups, you will see two magnetic bars on each side of each pickup. That's an easy way to see that they are ceramic. Now if your guitar was modded...all bets are off...

9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Wait, is that a misprint or did earlier (2002) Affinitys have 22 frets and medium jumbo fret wire?

10. ironhead

I think the # of frets may be a misprint from Fender. My Affinity has 21 frets.

11. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

There isn't much that is very special about the "anniversary" Squiers. Pretty much every guitar Squier makes in a divisible by 5 anniversary year (either from the first year that model was made or from 1982, the first year of Squier guitars) gets some kind of label or stamping. That means that literally thousands if not millions of them are made every few years.

Not that it matters, with the exception of the early MIJs, pretty much no Squier has, or is likely to ever have any significant collectible value at all.

If you want a collectible, it has got to have "Fender" in big print. Even then, the longer they make 'em the less they seem to go up in the long run. The most desirable from a collector's standpoint are still the pre-CBS models. While 1970s Strats and some post-CBS models have gone up a little, it doesn't look like they are ever going to achieve the stratospheric price levels as the oldest ones. If for no other reason than the quantities made per year starting with the CBS era were way bigger, and more people now are aware of things possibly becoming collectible.

12. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

i don't remember squier doing anything in '07

13. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Well, I guess they've gotta skip one now and then... or maybe the 20th Anniversary Squier marketing in 2002 didn't improve sales enough to be worth bothering with doing it again for the 25th Anniversary in 2007.

14. anuptuladhar

I have not gone through the interiors of the guitar..but i have heard a lot about them having an alnico pickups instead of ceramic pickups..I am not the one who can identify these things..so any idea about this?

15. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

ceramic pickups will have either one fat or two skinny bar magnets across the bottom of the pickup

16. Krab

Tell that to the JV and pro tone owners

17. ironhead

stratphobic is correct about how to identify it. My 2002 Affiinity pups all have two bar magnets on the bottom of the 3 pups.

In addition, the Fender rep who obtained the listing I posted (see #7 above) about the 2002 Affinity said that the 2002 Affinity only came with ceramic pups.

18. pfrancz

pfrancz New Member!

Dear List:
    We just acquired a 20th anniv. natural wood, squier, model affinity. As the list pointed out, it has Alnico pus in it and
    500K pots. The sound is better than most.

IMHO, The sound is much better than other squiers we've worked on.

Also the 5 way switch appears to be of higher quality. There is a noticeable difference. I'd appreciate any additional info members might have on this type of squier.

19. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

My 08 Affinity has alnico pickups also, and it isn't an anniversary model of any kind. Just an IC Affinity.
    You can take those specs with a grain of salt. If you doubt, first thing, take a caliper and measure the nut.

20. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

Probably not a misprint. Here is an older Affinity neck I have. It has 22 frets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Bodean

Bodean maker of straps and sandwiches Strat-Talk Supporter

Here is my 20th anniversary Squier Affinity, only changed the pickguard. It has 21 frets, 41mm nut.

Attached Files: