Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

22 Frets vs 21 Frets?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Blackmore Fan, Jan 23, 2010.

1. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

Call it laziness if you will (or lack of mental capacity!! I am getting older!!) but I made the call a few years ago that all of my guitars had to be 22 fret (where it is sensible - I agree with tonyw) so I didn't have to think about fret positions too much. I do find that because the 21 and 22 fret Strat necks are essentially the same dementions my hand will automatically got to the correct area of the neck regardless (eg the 12th fret is the same 'feel' place on both necks). Gibsons, etc follow much the same 'feel' pattern.

I have a 24 fret PRS copy and I find that where I 'feel' the 12th fret would be on a Strat is around the 16th fret on it, and it throws me every time. Man! I have to concentrate to play that thing!

21 or 22 fret is not a biggie, but I like to keep things simple where I can. A different feel and a different sound can inspire me, so it doesn't have to be a bad thing. I agree with Strato - that why we need more than one guitar!

2. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

You'll have to buy an American Fender if you do cos MIM and Squier Strats have only ever had 21.

3. gliderider22

gliderider22 Senior Stratmaster

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. gliderider22

gliderider22 Senior Stratmaster

...and permission from his old lady.

6. Moose Studio

Moose Studio Strat-Talk Member

7. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

they do....

8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Unless the Standard is made in China/out-of-a-strat pack? I bought what appears to be a Standard--there are no "Bullet" markings nor does the word "Affinity" appear anywhere on the headstock. Nor are their any markings to indicate that anyone attempted to remove either of those terms (the teenage girl who was selling it got it for Christmas a year ago and didn't seem to know enough to have taken any interest in committing small-scale fraud). It came from a strat pack, has a serial number of CXS 040XXXXXX, and has only 21 frets. This things got a GREAT sound, thick neck, sounds good without even plugging it in--am I wrong in thinking this is a Standard?

9. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

is it a small or large headstock? Bullets are small, Standards are big.

also, how many points at the trem? Standards have 2-point trems, while Bullets and Affinitys have 6-point trems.

10. Blackmore Fan

I don't own a Bullet to compare it to, but I'd say "large". It also has a 3-ply tortoiseshell pickguard--appears white/black/white when viewed from the side.

I'm not sure how to answer you tremelo question--what are "points"?

11. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

how many screws holding the bridge down?

12. Blackmore Fan

Its got 6.

I'm perplexed--I realize that the current Standard link says 6 point tremelo--I wonder how far back that goes? This guitar was a Christmas of 2008 present according to the girl I bought it from.

13. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

nope. standard has 2, not 6. sounds like you got an Affinity. or maybe an SE.

post a photo?

14. Blackmore Fan

15. strat.tenor

strat.tenor Strat-Talker

German Shepherds universally prefer the 22 fret neck.

If you have a 21 fret neck and your dog is often moody and sad, now you know why.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  16. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

17. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

that post was absolutely insane Strat.Tenor

I Loved It!!!!

18. Diocletian

Diocletian Strat-Talker

I don't mind much, but I DO find it much easier playing certain songs on one of my 24 fret Jacksons.
    Take the final part of Dave Murray's solo in "The Trooper" - you can do it on a 21 fret neck with a bend, but it's simpler to play with an extra fret (or three!)

19. 67Strat

67Strat Strat-Talker

I've had 21, 22 and 24 on electric guitars and it's not something I have a preference for, I play whatever is in my hands and rarely have a need to take things that far up the neck. I spent so much time early on playing cheapy 12 fret acoustics that anything beyond that is a bonus. I have no doubt there are some things that require it, but anything can be played differently on the fly to overcome lack of high notes up the neck.

20. Uberstink

Uberstink Strat-Talker

I spent my first 10+ years playing on 22 fret necks so when I finally did get an actual Fender product the muscle memory and thought patterns were already firmly established and that missing fret was a constant source of anxiety whenever I crossed over the 15th fret. Not terribly rational, but anxiety, however mild, isn't good for one's playing.

I'll definitely be building my Fenders with 22 frets. Nothing wrong with 21, I'm just used to 22.

21. Diocletian

Diocletian Strat-Talker

I think it matters more if you're playing something that was originally done on a guitar with 22 (or even 24) frets. Trying to play it is going to be that extra bit harder.

Possible, yes, but harder.