Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

$30 Bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Ravenmore, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Popped into one of the many pawn shops I check out and they had this old Squire Bullet that has seen better days. They pretty much threw it at me and marked it down to $30 including tax. It needs some work for sure. I don't know much about it other than it is a Indonesia hard tail. Since it is a hard tail it is very light. The body looks thinner than standard but that's just eyeballing it. IMG_20171101_174822540 (1).jpg IMG_20171101_174854387-111111.jpg IMG_20171101_174832065 (1).jpg

diajkeene, fattboyzz and Viking like this.

2. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I could move all my Affinity mods over to this body or move this neck over to the Affinity. The Affinity has upgraded electronics and Tex Mex pickups. Plus the body is much cleaner.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Did you plug it in an check it out yet ?

5. HankPym

HankPym Strat-Talk Member

Sep 11, 2017
    USA
    I have that same guitar in my office at work. Hardtail strat. Body is plywood if I recall correctly. Neck is surprisingly comfortable. Mine had some tuning and nut issues, but it's a fun guitar to play that I don't mind getting dinged up sitting in the corner of my office. Congrats! That's a great deal.

Ravenmore likes this.

6. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    How’s it sound?

7. HankPym

HankPym Strat-Talk Member

Sep 11, 2017
    USA
    I play it unplugged since the other faculty at my University may not appreciate my playing! But when I took it home after buying it originally, it didn't sound too bad plugged in. Not sure about the pickups but they definitely sound Strat like. I think they were similar to the neck pickup in my Squier 51 (also Indonesian) which I really like, so hopefully yours has the same set.

It was hard finding information on this model. I've read that Fender doesn't even have a record of these in their databases since the serial number is slightly different from other Indonesian made Squiers. I think it came in a cheap starter pack, but I think the pickups are probably the second best thing about the guitar after the neck.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Interesting color, and it has a multi-ply pickguard. I'd clean the body, do a setup, check the electronics for cold soldier issues or scratchy pots [see tricks to improve scratchy pots] and check the tuners - they look pretty homely but might work fine. Then, - I'd play it. $30? I spent more than that Friday on donuts for the office...good grab.

Ravenmore likes this.

9. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Its good for something, just not sure what. You can practice fretwork, soldering, and setups. Or practice paint work or wood modifications. Or give it to someone who wants to start on guitar but doesnt want to spend money up front.

I wouldnt waste time trying to modify it in to some nice guitar - it just isnt.

craigh and Ravenmore like this.

10. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I've seen some Bullets turn into pretty decent guitars if you upgrade the electronics. What the heck it was $30. :) Heck the neck is worth that. I could probably sell the neck for more than I paid for the guitar.

I'm dropping my pick guard with the Tex Mex's in it. Have to sand the edges of it a bit to fit around the bridge. After that I'm going to swap over the tuners from the Affinity. They're actually pretty decent.

I tried putting the neck on my Affinity Squire. It went into the pocket but when I tightened it down a gap showed between the body and the neck. I'm wondering if that is just because the screw holes don't line up the same. Not sure. I decided though that I didn't want to spend any time last night sorting that out so I just put it back. I might mess with it later.

Here's the back side of the Bullet's pick guard. It doesn't have the ceramic magnets i've seen on other Squiers for some reason.

IMG_20171102_044251802.jpg

11. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Oh and when I had the neck off I saw that it is a 2002 (which fits with the serial #) and that it is plywood.

12. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Well that sucks - the screw holes in the pre wired pick guard are in different places.

13. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    Baltic Blue

14. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Looks like Samick-built from the S/N (Samick ghost builds 80% of the import guitars at all price points). Those Indonesian-made guitars are high quality from the manufacturing standpoint of the neck and body (yes, much quibbling about materials), at least the newer ones are. I bought a royal-blue one of these for $30 off the local CL that did not need much work at all other than a setup due to poor prior owner maintenance and strings plus cleaning. I gave it to a a friend's kid that is learning to play.

Some of those bodies are the Agathis/Paulowana wood that has cavity CNC milling in layers that when done look like steps and thus observations after painting get considered plywood. The outside gets sanded of course by they don't worry about the control cavities. Agathis/Paulowana is where the lightness comes from, plywood would be much heavier.

The wires from each pickup are shielded in the pictures, an upgrade from regular Fender that uses two separate wires that gather more noise. Pots, switch, and jack are the lower quality-cost import typical parts. Are the side dots on the neck perfectly centered between the fretboard and the neck wood along the glue line? That is hard to achieve consistently and when done shows you they are trying. Is there a shielded cable to the jack? Again if there is they are trying.

Replace the tuners with some $10 ebay sealed set and you'll have an upgrade+repair. Buy one Bourns pot $4 for the volume, and a $4 Switchcraft jack. And you'll fix the big issues plus really upgrade the operation of the guitar.

I'd also rewire the guitar with the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod so you can have classic SSS or blend into HSH -- and you'll turn it into an easy frequent player.

... I can hardly resist any guitar priced at $30 or less.

15. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Wow - thanks for all the good info.

I'll check the dots on the side of the neck when I get home.

Now I'm thinking I'll get the pots/switches/tuners you mentioned and just use the existing pick guard.

Need to figure out this Dan Armstrong blender mod - everyone keeps telling me to try it.

stratman in va likes this.

16. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    The necks on those old Bullet guitars are usually great. The tuners are kind of a let down.

I put one of those necks on a Stadium Tele body and have a nice playing, light weight Tele. The Squier vintage style / split post tuners will fit the bushings from the old trap tuners if you like the split posts.

Ravenmore likes this.

17. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Ordered tuners and a wiring harness. It was nearly what I spent on the guitar lol. :)

stratman in va likes this.

18. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

I think the split post Squier tuners I got were $25 or so.

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    If you have room in the cavity for push/pulls then this is a great mod for the HSH too. When I built it I was looking to get as many sounds as I could and came up with a ten sound strat.
    http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/10-sound-stratocaster.424715/
    You could do this and eliminate the neck on switch and have it on one switch if you wanted. I also did one on anther strat with 2 P/P pots making it an HSH also. if you're interested and have any questions then let me know and I can post the diagrams when I get to them.

craigh and Ravenmore like this.

20. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I got some generic tuners on Amazon for about $11 or $12.

I will likely go home tonight and start stealing parts from the Affinity and putting them on this to see if I can get it working, then use the parts that come in to put the Affinity back together.