Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

$30 Bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Ravenmore, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Well got it wired up with some Tex Mex pickups, some CTS 250 pots, and a new switch. However hit a road block in that the Affinity tuners don't fit. It seems they are a size larger than the Bullet head stock.

2. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    As it stands now...
    IMG_20171102_204535443.jpg

West Coast Idea likes this.

3. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Well got it up and running. I screwed up the neck a bit. The holes were too small for modern tuners so I took a drill to it to widen them to 10mm. I ended up tearing off some wood around some of the holes on both front and back surfaces. Still completely functional - oh well it is a $30 guitar and honestly it kind of fits the character of the guitar. I put some Tex Mex pickups in it and upgraded the pots and switch. It punches waaaay above its price point now. :)

IMG_20171104_162418714.jpg

4. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Niiiice. Squier mods are like that, it may not be pretty but it works.

QMTstrat and West Coast Idea like this.

5. JoeM

JoeM New Member!

Jan 11, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the twin to your Squier, same year and color. I am going for new tuners and electronics on mine, not sure what pickups yet. I was going to repaint it, but now I think I will just cleanup as much of the swirls and scratches as I can and leave it be. It is surprisingly nice to play for what it is.

Ravenmore likes this.

6. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    I picked one up myself a few weeks back. For my purposes, a clean up and set up for around the house noodling and maybe the odd gig rehearsal will suffice.

The neck is pretty nice, it sounds OK as is, and I like the smaller lightweight body.

Easy peasy!

Ravenmore and JoeM like this.

7. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I have a grounding issue with it creating a buzz so I need to track that down, but honestly with the Tex Mex pickups, CTS pots, and an upgraded switch this thing now sounds freaking amazing. I find myself picking it up over most of my other guitars. It honestly rivals my MIJ Strat for sound now.

JoeM and West Coast Idea like this.

8. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I was messing around with trying to improve the set up on the guitar tonight and thought I'd post some pics of how bad I screwed up the neck drilling it. :D Oh well, it's still functional. Can we call it 'relic'd'? ;)

I think the truss rod needs an adjustment. Looks high in the middle to me. I've never done that so I need to look up how to do it. Also something janky is up with the bridge pickup. I never use it so not a huge deal but at some point I'd like to figure it out.
    IMG_20171114_203749290.jpg IMG_20171114_203806505.jpg

Viking likes this.

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    If using a drill bit, I would only recommend doing it in a drill press (which is how I normally do it) ... never with a hand held drill (ask me how I know). If you don't have access to a drill press then use a hand reamer. They are cheap sand will save a lot of cussing and your other possessions with tools flying across the room.

10. skypeace

skypeace Sky Pilot Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    Connecticut
    Well it says its okay on the back so I wouldn't worry about it. That is just a chip off the old block, gives the neck more resonance and characters up the look. Folks pay a lot of money to have a neck look like that, you got it for free. :rolleyes:

You can use a hand drill if you just clamp some thin pieces on both sides to prevent chipping. The tuner holes are not mission critical, just need to fit the tuners decently. Drilling holes for two post tremolos is a bit different. I would suggest a drill press for those, but again some folks are proficient enough with woodworking tools to be effective.

Viking likes this.

11. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I tried to find a reamer at Home Depot but was probably looking in the wrong place as I was looking for something that would fit in a drill. Yeah hand reamer sounds better lol. Oh well live and learn, although it's a bit of a shame as it is a nice feeling neck in spite of it being on a $30 guitar.

Viking and West Coast Idea like this.