Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

5 Reasons I'll Probably Never Own a Vintage Strat...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by AxemanVR, Jan 17, 2019.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    5 Reasons I'll Probably Never Own a Vintage Strat...

1) Cost vs Value...

I know what what you're thinking (after all $25,000-$30,000 is a lot of money), but EVEN IF I HAD THAT KIND OF MONEY TO BLOW, I probably still wouldn't buy one, mainly because I really can't see getting 20 times the enjoyment out it just because it's vintage.

Also, replacing defective parts (fret jobs, bad pots, switches, stuck truss rod, worn saddles, or loose tuners) can devalue it, and I certainly wouldn't want something that is unreliable or unplayable.

2) Pickup Switching...

Okay, so you can get the "in between" sounds if you position the 3-way switch just right, but in a performance situation that's a little too tricky to do on the fly and I really like the in between sounds (and installing a modern 5-way switch would not be an option for me).

3) Personalizing It...

Almost every guitar I've ever owned has been updated or modified in some way, which would be out the question for something that holds such historical (and of course monetary) value.

4) Paranoia...

Every time I left the house or played a gig I'd have worry about some a-hole trying to rip me off! Heck, I already worry about someone stealing my $1000 guitars!

5) Older isn't necessarily better...

To be honest, I already love the guitars I've got.

It took me years of weeding out the less-than-worthy ones to get to where I'm at today, and (as crazy as it might sound) I would miss the guitars I already have every bit as much if stolen, even if they aren't worth a king's ransom... which pretty much says it all I think...

`

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. Nubs

Nubs Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Good enough reasons for me. Vintage guitars aren't everyone's bag. Looking at my bank account, I'm one of them.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire
    One reason is enough for me. It's pointless.

Stratbats and AxemanVR like this.
  4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I think nostalgia plays a huge part

I've never once looked at a '60's Strat and wished it were mine but I've been drooling over Strats from the 80's and 90's ever since I first got 'the bug'

I like old amps though

RadioFM74, ukoldgit and AxemanVR like this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    @AxemanVR I am with you on every point. Especially the modification part. I have never found a guitar that is perfect as it is...Heck, I've only found a couple things ever that were perfect as they were and almost EVERYTHING I own has been modified in some way. If I bought a vintage guitar that didn't fit me 100% then I would have to listen to the whole world b!$%@* at me for making it fit. Not worth my time.

AxemanVR likes this.
  6. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    You have aced it in a one thread post Axman, I had my 1976 strat for around 10 years before I sold it, why?, because an Aslin Dane Srat £55 clone pi55ed all over it for tone, quality, feel and ease of playing. Reputation is not always the best way to go

P1010733.JPG P1020120.JPG P1020121.JPG

Attached Files:

gwjensen, Nick Evans and AxemanVR like this.
  7. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly! If I'm going to spend that kind of money, it better be a conveyance.

Yes, and for the same reasons I don't (yet) own one.

@ukoldgit That is one beautiful Stratocaster!!!

I also have a '76 hardtail, all original (plastic should be black).

Stark and ukoldgit like this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    This is the only reason worth talking about.

I used to gig my '65 at bars. Told everyone it was a relic RI. They bought it.
    Player grade guitars are not 25K. Those are pre 2008 prices. I'd sell my '65 for 7k. It's been played, refretted numerous times, refinished twice, had SD Hot Wires installed in the 80's, original rusted out bridge replaced with a Dimarzio in the 80s...rode hard. These things were meant to be played. :D

Nate D, Dare1, dogletnoir and 5 others like this.
  9. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    I wouldn't want to own any vintage instruments either, vintage tolerances don't match up to modern. As you implied, I would be frightened to fart near it!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

AxemanVR likes this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    I do see vintage 50s Strats up for sale in the $20k - $30k range these days (VG condition)... but that doesn't mean anyone's actually buying them!

You're right about the price drops though, nothing's worth what they use to. I recently "gave away" my 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster for a measly $745 on eBay (not including eBay fees, PayPal fees and shipping charges). So I basically lost my ass on it. I should have been more patient but I didn't see any of the others with similar features going for much more.

Unfortunately it's been a "buyer's market" since the great recession...

`

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    You own one already ... ya just gotta wait a few decades.

:)

12. ukoldgit

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    As I understand it the early 76s could have bits of the 75s including the the 1975 white scratch plates, basically leftover components from the previous year, bit of conundrum I admit, but there we are:confused:

13. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    That's the only kind of vintage guitar I'd be interested in. Being 100% original isn't that big of a selling point to me. But having a history, a story to tell, that's what makes vintage guitars interesting.

fos1 and fezz parka like this.
  14. ukoldgit

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    Almost any strat sounds good through one of these
    P1010481.JPG

Groovey and The-Kid like this.
  15. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I guess when I win Publisher's Clearing House $5000 per week for life I might be able to buy something...

Nate D, Stark and Groovey like this.
  16. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Nov 14, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Agreed on all counts. I don't see a vintage strat as anything but a financial investment, and there are much smarter ways to invest if you're interested in the returns. I really don't care for some of the vintage specs (e.g., neck shape, fingerboard radius, fret count, fret size, fret material, pickups, selector switch), so if I had such an instrument I'd be uncomfortable playing it. If you do like those specs, you can get 'em all so much cheaper on reissues and the like. I get that there's some mystique to a guitar that's been around all those years, but I can't afford to pay for that alone. I'm genuinely happy for those that can and do, though!

Stratbats and AxemanVR like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Except mine apparently, I'd rather use a Marshall. o_O

velvet_man and Stratoskater like this.
  18. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    True enough stuff.. But I'm glad there are those out there that do collect and maintain the old ones. Those are the guitars that built the legends and knowing they are in the hands of good caretakers adds another layer of magic.

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That's pretty much the definition of nostalgia. You just have it for a different era.

Stratoskater likes this.
  20. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    The reason that I will never own one is the price and treating it like it is irreplaceable also my 2004 American series is more than what I will ever need in a strat.

Anyway I have a vintage ish strat my 79 and I am starting to get paranoid playing that. :confused: