Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wanted 62 AVRI Strat in Sonic Blue

Discussion in 'Guitars for Sale, Trade or Wanted' started by ragtimekid, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ragtimekid

ragtimekid New Member!

Sep 18, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys,

Looking for a 62 AVRI in Faded Sonic Blue. Let me know if you have one for sale....thanks!

(I'm not even 100% certain that Faded Sonic Blue was a color this guitar originally came in but I seem to recall seeing one before. Any clarification on this point would be much appreciated!)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    There was a Limited Edition 62RI in Sonic made for Fender UK around 2001, I have one of them. I wouldn't call it Faded Sonic Blue though. I'm not sure whether any of these were released onto the US market though.

It's the one at the bottom. The top guitar is an AV59 which was released in Faded SB, similar to the colour on the Classic Player 60s Strat.

IMG_8007.JPG

bblooz and Omar like this.

3. ragtimekid

ragtimekid New Member!

Sep 18, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Stratman! It’s the top guitar in that picture I’m actually looking for. But the AV 59 guitars that I have seen all have the clay dot inlays, not the bright white ones like in the picture there. What gives?

This is being advertised as a ‘59AV Sonic Blue and looks different from that top guitar BA3C4ABE-15E1-4D7C-A1E0-E47D530E8403.png :

4. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    bblooz and Omar like this.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

I must have got the wrong one, the top one must be the Classic Player 60s with Classic Series 60s neck. Sorry for the confusion, this is the AV59 I owned for about a year. Why do you want a 62 rather than a 59?

IMG_7837.JPG

6. ragtimekid

ragtimekid New Member!

Sep 18, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    No worries! I probably want the 62 for all the wrong reasons: just looks stunning to me! I was hooked after watching this episode of “That Pedal Show”. Just for some reason can’t seem to find that exact guitar anywhere! Maybe he’s got the only one!

JB74 likes this.

7. ragtimekid

ragtimekid New Member!

Sep 18, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Is that Classic Player 60s any good? Not made in USA, right?

8. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA

No they are MIM but they are excellent guitars. The one in the video you posted really is stunning I can't blame you for wanting one.

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Only the Classic Player 60s Strat came in Sonic, but they have quite a fat neck with a 12" radius fretboard. Some people may love that but I don't, so I fitted a Classic Series 60s neck that suits me much better. Yes, Mexican, but that's fine.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Really? So that's a 62RI from the same time as mine? He must have swapped out the stock scratchplate for something that's allegedly "mint green" to make it looks as grubby & horrible as that. Looks like it needs cleaning!!

11. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2015
    London, England
    He covers that in the vid

12. ragtimekid

ragtimekid New Member!

Sep 18, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    @stratman323: Could I achieve that look by fitting a 62AVRI neck to a Classic Player 60s body? Would it fit? I know there are some differences in neck pocket shapes to be aware of.

nickmsmith likes this.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I know that you can fit a CS60s neck to a CP60s body. I don't know whether an AVRI neck would fit. I see no reason why it shouldn't though.

14. ragtimekid

ragtimekid New Member!

Sep 18, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    So you have the real 62AVRI and the CS60/CP60 hybrid? Why two guitars so visually similar? Is the nitro finish on the AV noticeably superior or more attractive than the poly on the CS? Same shade?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Just seen this post. Not what I expect to read on a Strat forum! I have two Sonic blue Strats & you're asking me why?

You're not my wife are you? o_O Why not?

Guy Named Sue likes this.

16. hellaGNARLY

hellaGNARLY Strat-Talker

Feb 25, 2015
    California
    The MIM CS Strats are not poly...the CP Strats are poly. Classics are Nitro, that's why they're a little more expensive new.

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You're saying that all of the MIM Classic Series range are now nitro? I don't think that's true, is it?

I tend to avoid the abbreviation "CS" as it's more commonly used for "Custom Shop". Which, incidentally, is a term Fender misuses on the Classic Player guitars....

Guy Named Sue likes this.

18. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Some classics are offered in lacquer not all.