Join Strat-Talk Today

62 strat reissue

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Sharute, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sharute

Sharute Strat-Talk Member

Evening men. New to the forum. So be gentle.
    I'm looking at buying at 62 avri strat second hand and I'm just wondering what to look out for to make sure it's legit and what would be a good price to pay in euros. Thanks in advance

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

First off, welcome to the forum.

I’m just going to put this out there and get it over with...

Unless you are really sure about what you’re getting I would not recommend getting anything used these days. I’ve seen far too many disappointed buyers lately.

Even if everything seems mostly legit, you can never be entirely sure that what you’re getting is completely original, and the higher the price the more you risk getting screwed.

You can do as you wish of course, but if I were in the market for another “high end” guitar I would save up and buy new from a reputable retailer.

Other than that, sorry I’m not familiar with that specific model...

Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Sharute likes this.
  3. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

Well the provenance is easily satisfied, if you search for the serial number on fender USA's website, THEN check each detail against the spec sheet.

I did this when I purchased mine, and all was well.

Be diligent, thorough and make sure everything - and I mean EVERYTHING matches with the spec sheet, including date stamps on the neck and in the pickup route.

If the seller is willing to remove the pickguard for you, or unbolt the neck, then you can usually be sure. If not, walk away.

If the seller agrees to do so, but by a professional luthier at your cost, then absolutely, you should wear that cost, whether or not you go ahead with the purchase.

velvet_man, BuffaloHound and Sharute like this.
  4. Sharute

Cheers AxemanVR for the reply. You maybe right.

5. Sharute

Sounds good JB74. I wouldn't mind paying for a luthier to do it. How much info does the serial number cover. Would you have to take out the pick ups and neck

6. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

If you arrange to be present while the Luthier performs the pickguard removal and neck removal, you will be able to take pictures of all the necessary items, to validate the production serial number details on the specification sheet, including build date range for the sundry parts. The build sheet does not list every single part's serial number. It lists a production date, and usually the neck is within a few days of this date, the body will have a matching barcode with a date in the pickup route, the pickguard and pots are usually within a month at worst.

These things are very hard to fake - but you can be sure that there is probably someone out there who has tried it and been successful at passing it off before. You just don't want to be the recipient of that instrument, which si why it would pay to have a Luthier who is experienced and has a sound reputation, to do the inspection for you.

And if you are going you purchase said instrument, then they will be able to set it up to your liking, and attend to any issues. worth the price of admission in my books.

Bonamassa has a relatively sound theory on this, which is pretty simple: If you buy the instrument, buy it because you like it and it feels right and sounds right. Because if you pay for it, and find out down the track that you have been swindled out of money, you're never going to see that money again... So you'll be disappointed and never want to play it.

If you want to play it and you like it, you shouldn't need to validate the provenance, because not all sellers are dishonest people. If you feel uncomfortable about buying the guitar fromf this particular person, you may just be right and should look elsewhere.

No point in crying over spilt milk, so both sides of the 'argument' have merit. You either pay the asking price based on your validating the provenance, or you take your chances and haggle.

Thats the reason a lot of people get cold feet, and subsequently buy new.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Sharute likes this.
  7. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum!

Fenders data base goes back to 1993 and can be spotty. Some serial numbers are not in the data base. The serial number, if in the data base will bring back the model, year and color of the body.
    They can provide generic specs for that model.

Dating pot codes and looking for neck and body dates is not hard, you dont need a luthier IMO.
    Alot of the earlier reissues did not have bar codes in the bodies.

If you are worried post pics of the guitar in question or find a dealer with a good reputation.

Sharute likes this.
  8. Sharute

9. Sharute

Thanks alot JB74 that's really helpful.

10. Sharute

Thanks alot for your help
    U

11. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Just take some pics and upload them here before buying.

12. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Are you specifically looking for an AVRI.. American. I ask, because the Japanese 62 reissues are fantastic guitars, and cost considerably less than their American counterparts. I've had two of them over the years, and can't fault them. Just my opinion of course, others may differ.. :thumb:

velvet_man, Yves, JB74 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sharute

14. Sharute

I'm left handed and it's the only strat I've seen in a long time that I like.I prefer a rosewood neck to maple. It doesn't matter if it's Japanese or American It just any Japanese strats I've seen all have had a maple neck and any with rosewood necks have been snapped up.

15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

There is no easy answer to this, you simply need to educate yourself to recognise all the little differences that go to make up each model. It takes time & experience to spot a fake - you won't learn this over night.

As for "I wouldn't mind paying for a luthier to do it.", you first have to find a "luthier" who is an expert on Fenders. I assume you mean a "guitar tech" - a luthier is a highly skilled guy who makes an acoustic guitar from nothing but wood. A guitar tech is not! It's bad enough having to rely on a guitar tech to do work on your guitar, there are few I would trust to identify what is or isn't kosher.

If you post pics of any guitar you are considering on here, people will quickly let you know if it's genuine or not. But you can never rely on things like serial numbers - the AVRI serial numbers are stamped on the neckplate. Nothing is easier to swap than a neckplate. Combine this with Fender's almost total lack of records prior to 1993 & you probably won't be getting a lot of help from Fender.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  16. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Any pics?

17. Sharute

18. Sharute

Very true .That's one thing I notice was that the the only visible number on it was on the neck plate. But other picture I looked at were the same. I couldn't find any made in USA on the head or body.

19. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

No you won't. That, of course, is one of the key identifying features. ;)

20. Sharute

Sound that's what had me baffled

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.