Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

66 Stratocaster neck with 68/69 LOGO? is that possible?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by chowyromero, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    And stratman has a point....two threads two different authors...same guitar. Something is off.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    The new guy reopened a zombie thread with the same pictures he posted here. One guitar from Finland, one from Argentina.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Good, I was afraid if I corrected @fezz parka one more time he'd actually fly over and knock me out of my boots:eek::D

4. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Aha! Now we are getting somewhere!

Although I am clueless as to where that is. LOL

Maybe I need some sleep.

stratman323 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Back to the stamp, to me the typeface looks close but not right and it looks like it was lacquered over using a brush.

Edit: one fingered typing sucks.

henderman and fezz parka like this.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    "maybe it was sent back to fender to be modernized" - sure bet...

the lacquer and date stamp on the neck was not done by Fender in the 60's either....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    During the transition period, the time after CBS purchased Fender, and CBS completed the "evolution" from any vestiges of Leo's company to that of CBS .. the inventory of components acquired from Leo's company continued to be used.... a neck stamped '66, could have been made in '64 and not used on a guitar until '69.

It wasn't until late '69 that CBS finally consumed all of Leo's production and began building guitars that were 100% CBS .. there are many Fenders dated, after CBS took ownership, that are still 100% made with parts made while Leo owned the company and still assembled by employees that were there while Leo was... it wasn't called the "transition period" for nuttin'.

rk

Percy and Guy Named Sue like this.

8. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    I am gonna disagree with this. The 66 pots can be seen on 68 fender guitars but a 66 neck on a guitar dated 69 is highly unlikely and most likely a parts guitar, even if it was the transition period.

9. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's OK, you have my permission, it doesn't mean you're correct though..:D and, ALL guitars are parts guitars.. unless the parts necessary to make one just materialize on the guitar at the right moment as they are coming to life.

another little factoid .. during much of the late 50's through the 60's many Fender dealers ALSO had available ALL the parts necessary to build your own.. all correctly marked, stamped, or with other relevant notations.... even including the decals.... and the decals were free.... :eek:

that means, there were a lotta guitars assembled on Kitchen Tables that never existed as a guitar in any part of California... I know... I was desperately trying to mow enough lawns to buy the stuff on display at Marvin Kay's here in Jacksonville... Had to start somewhere ya know... :p

r

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. Mr Dunlop

Nov 30, 2014
    usa

I don't know man a neck sitting in the factory for 5 years just seems a little off.

chowyromero likes this.

11. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    the question posed is, Is it possible to find a '66 neck on a '69 Fender?

There's a number of ways it could have materialized, even originating from the factory, Things were chaotic at Fender during that transition period, with the primary directive being, just consume "old stuff" so we can start with a clean sheet of paper...

So, the answer is Yes.... however if you are finicky about such minutiae, then I'd suggest ya pull away.. if you don't and buy it, that discrepancy is gonna get in your head and nag at ya forever... it would be better to have a new one that you're sure of than a vintage "maybe".

rk

chowyromero likes this.

12. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    The neck is a legit '68 with 2 different Pat. Pend. numbers, and one butterfly string retainer, as well as the decal. This is a case of a neck replacement. I have the same neck on a body and pots that only date back to 1970. But the original owner also added an additional butterfly retainer on the G and D strings, and switched the tuners to Schaller Mini tuners. So my 1970 Strat is not 100% original, but a mixture of 1968 and 1970.

chowyromero likes this.

13. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    I wouldn't worry about it... Clapton seemed to eek out a living as a musician with a Black Strat made form parts from other guitars... it worked OK.. I think..:p

r

Kosh likes this.

14. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

The finish over the stamp seems fishy and the fact it is a world traveling guitar is troubling.
    R

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    You know what? If it’s all good Fender kit and it plays and sounds good, I reckon it’s worth laying down money for simply because it’s got an interesting, unknown, story behind it.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    In the UK this is known as ‘Trigger’s broom’ syndrome

17. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It's not the same guitar as the one originally posted in the other thread. That just added to the confusion.

18. Mr Dunlop

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    That stamp is way to thick and doesn't look like it was stamped by fender. I would take caution with this guitar.

19. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    That together with the wrong code 22 when it should be 13 for that year, has got me wondering how that can occur.

chowyromero and Mr Dunlop like this.

20. Mr Dunlop

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    Yah I would just pass on this one if I was the op. To many things do not add up, even for fender.

Guy Named Sue likes this.