Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

$750 for a '71 Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Dec 7, 2017.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I saw this on Craigslist the two days ago and see it's still there.

It is NOT something I can throw money at right now, but, I can't get over the price. Wondering why it's listed at that price. Is it the dull paint on the body, the hard tail, or something else?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/d/1971-fender-stratocaster/6413633492.html

I thought some of you Strat-experts may want to take some guesses...or take a drive o_O

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I just emailed the guy. If he will ship I might be buying it. I am waiting to hear from him and see more detailed pics.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    carver and joe_cpwe like this.

3. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Pictures are poor but something's off. The serial number should not be on the headstock for starters.

altar and joe_cpwe like this.

4. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

That is not a 1971 strat :thumbd:

And judgeing from those horrible pics the body is not original to the neck which seems to be dated 78 (that could be a 79 as well).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    altar, Yves and joe_cpwe like this.

5. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

May 28, 2009
    Wales UK
    The tuners aren't original tho'

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Looks like S8 or S9 meaning late 70s....yep....not a '71 at all....

7. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Yeah, definitely not a 71, serial would be on the plate. Tuners, knobs, pickguard, and bridge are all wrong as well, I would believe a 79 with some things changed out.

8. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Agree - not a '71

joe_cpwe, altar and Yves like this.

9. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the early 70's starts have the top screw on the pickguard pretty much in the middle between the middle and neck pickups while later models have it almost right above the middle pickup? Or is it the 80's strats that have it between the puckups?

If it is indeed a 79 with some modifications, $750 is not far from an OK price.

joe_cpwe likes this.

10. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

looks like a hard tail 78 or 79.. possible refinish??? or maybe just that well documented milky clear coat that later 70s strats are known for... and that case. looks very proper..

also. lets mention the corduroy couch. I have never met someone with a corduroy couch that was a liar, so thats another solid plus one for the seller (man, I leave you all some amazing stuff dont I)

for 750 thats a great price. and frankly.. I dig a nice solid hard tail.

Paperback Rocker and joe_cpwe like this.

11. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Extra holes in headstock around the tuners. God knows what may lurk beneath that PG and if it's playable at all.

joe_cpwe and altar like this.

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I appreciate all the comments so far and knew this group would like checking this guitar out.

I wonder if it was refinished? I can't get past what the top looks like...maybe it's the lighting. L=Almost looks like the gloss finish has been sanded? When did Fender start with the thick poly?

In a case like this what are the most crucial things to find out? I'd think
    1) does the truss rod work/is the neck good 2) what year body

Definitely some form of mutant guitar. If the neck, body and tail piece are legit, it seems like an american vintage strat at that price is a decent deal. So he may be wrong on the year, but not the price?

13. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Well... considering that it's not all original, the price IMO, is OK but not great. I paid $850 for my -77 that's all original except a pot and new frets. Besides, you need to play it before you know it's any good.

Yves and joe_cpwe like this.

14. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

The cloudy clear coat is just due to calcium build up from over time.

The tone cant escape these thick polly coats so they tend to accumulate tone particles under the clear coat.

When enough of these particles accumulate they cause a reaction with the polly and turn to calcium. its actually the same process used to create human bones for babies before they are planted in the female species by the overlords.
    maxresdefault.jpg

15. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Yeah price is just ok and that is only judging from what you can tell is wrong with it/not original from the pics. I would definitely want to know if the truss rod works and what shape the neck and frets are in first. Like Cerb said you are going to want to play it before you buy it, there are a lot of dogs that came out of the Fender factory in the 70s. In my experience with 70s strats there is a high probability it is a dead sounded boat anchor.

Cerb likes this.

16. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

The top screw of the pickguard is not placed in the middle of neck and middle pickup on 70´s strats. They changed the position of that screw in 1963.

Cerb and Yves like this.

17. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Like @echoes71I believe the bridge isn't that expected on a 70s strat either.
    I can't help wondering if the poor quality of pics is deliberate.

Cerb and Highway Star like this.