Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

86 Strat..does the body look right?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fredordead, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:09 AM.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! I haven't slept a lot lately, renovating my apartment......

F would for sure have a basswood body and full size block and Fender stamped saddles....but this seems like an alder body and is from later with the small block.....

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I seem to recall the small block coming in when, or shortly before, the MIM Standards started to appear.

3. Fredordead

Fredordead Strat-Talk Member

Monday
    Scotland
    Sorry guys..not sure if I'm replying to these correctly. I'm really appreciating all your help. Perhaps the body isn't original after all then.
    How are you tell the body is alder?im quite keen to learn more so i know for next time.

4. pren

pren Strat-Talk Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Australia
    The serial number on this indicates it could be an 86 or 87 manufactured. Is there a list somewhere of these hard and fast rules of MIJ strats? From all the research I've done lately, there is a lot of conflicting info. His guitar looks exactly line mine which is an 88/89 standard, so this could be an 86/87 standard, unless they didn't make those?

Fredordead likes this.
  5. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK
    I can't help on the OP's query, but I do spy a Squier Supersonic headstock - please tell me that's one of the original flake finished models?! I love those so much and I'm determined to get one... One day!

Fredordead likes this.
  6. Fredordead

Monday
    Scotland
    Yes indeed mate. It's a silver flake original that I bought from Cranes Music in Cardiff around 1997..I paid for it out of my student loan..which I still haven't paid off!!

7. Fredordead

Monday
    Scotland
    I think it is exactly the same. Too much of a coincidence if you ask me. I'm pretty certain I have an 86/87 standard MIJ strat.
    Really appreciate your help man..it's put my mind to rest.

8. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK
    I'm properly jealous - hold onto it long enough and it'll probably pay the loan off for you, the way prices on those are going!

When I bought my orange flake MIM Standard I noticed that Mansons in Exeter had the body from one of those kicking around their workshop, but apparently it wasn't for sale...

I still remember the big single page adverts Cranes used to put in all the UK guitar magazines - basically a big selective price list!

Fredordead likes this.
  9. Fredordead

Monday
    Scotland
    My son is just about to turn 1 and I've decided I'm going to give it to him when he is old enough. It's a pretty cool guitar! Hopefully he will do better with it than I did!!!