Join Strat-Talk Today

'94ish Bullet Revamp

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Krist, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Here's the result of the sanding and heat gun. I sanded the outer coat as I read it doesn't come off with the heat gun, I then used the heat gun on the rest.
    Got a little bit left to heat off then the very light sand commences!
    Sorry for the double post, I put these in the wrong thread originally.

Attached Files:

2. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Yaye I finally have a job so back on with the project!
    I'd like to either order an affordable but decent whole trem replacement with a bigger but still drop in block, or just maybe get some saddles. The current saddle screws are so rusted im not sure if they'll come out without a fight, and the chrome looking plating has bubbled a bit too.
    What do you guys think would be best?

Attached Files:

3. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Some more pics

Attached Files:

4. Suomy58

Suomy58 Strat-Talker

Congrats on the new job and getting the project back on the go! Did you decide on a final colour yet?

5. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Too late now, but I wouldn't have stripped it all the way down to bare wood. That makes refinishing a lot more work than it needs to be. Now you'll have to seal the wood grain and fill any imperfections from scratch. What I usually recommend is just to rough up the original finish enough that it will take primer.

That trem looks ruined. I would definitely recommend that you just replace it. I'm not sure what is easily available in the UK. Over here I would order an MIM/Import Upgrade trem from Dragonfire (guitarpartsonline.com) or GFS (guitarfetish.com). Those come with a full size steel block and stamped steel saddles, a new US 10-32 threaded trem, etc.

6. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Cheers mate.
    I'm still undecided and will probably do a last minute choice once im ready to order it. At the moment I'm down to the following: Metalic black, Charcoal frost, or a sort of Metalic burst on the Strat Plus. Also toying with the idea of Teal as the mrs really like it, I do to but a very specific tone of colour that I havent seen for purchase yet.

Attached Files:

7. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Is a MIM a straight drop in for this age of Squier? Ive tried to find the answer on here but not coming up with what I nedd from a search.
    I did actually want to rough it up a bit and paint for the time and effort it would save but she had some pretty big chips and scrapes picked up over the years. I also seem to have a thing where when I do something I go all out or just not bother....not always a good thing!

8. sinner7575

sinner7575 Strat-Talk Member

great job....it looks greati just refinished a squier se and the poly coat was a nightmare i didnt use a heat gun just a belt sander

ForumRunner_20130912_172348.jpg

9. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Wish those pics were my handy work but they are just off google. Yours look good though! Any tips on how to get an even coat on the edges and horns?

10. sinner7575

sinner7575 Strat-Talk Member

all i did was keep sprayin light coats to build it up u can even it out with light sanding...i sprayed the top and back first and after those had all but the final coat i did the edges

11. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Cheers for that, I'm both looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

12. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Looks great so far! Congrats on the new job. What did you use to darken the neck? It looks fantastic! The inlays look sweet, too!

13. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, an MIM Standard trem will fit, they are both 2-1/16" width. The only downside to MIM trems is they still use a pot metal trem block, and the older ones are thin like a Squier. The GFS and Dragonfire upgrade units come with a full size steel block, but like I said, may be expensive to ship to the UK.

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do now anyway... I'd have just filled in the chips and scrapes when I was doing the primer and sanding phase.

14. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

A year on, two house moves and many distractions later I have finally picked it back up....a bit anyway.
    I have just finished the first layer of conductive paint in the cavities and I'm scrubbing off the silver paint still on the pick guard.
    I thought of getting a new shiny one but because of what this guitar means to me in trying to keep it as original as possible.

15. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

First layer done

Attached Files:

16. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

Elbow grease required!

Attached Files:

17. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

upload_2019-2-17_18-15-40.png upload_2019-2-17_18-16-23.png 4/5 years later..... I finally got to the next stage!
    Been a challenging time but onwards and upwards. Time to finish this bad boy!
    Dents and scratches filled
    upload_2019-2-17_18-15-40.png
    upload_2019-2-17_18-16-23.png

Primed:
    upload_2019-2-17_18-21-10.jpeg

[​IMG] First coat

upload_2019-2-17_18-20-25.jpeg

2nd coat
    upload_2019-2-17_18-22-37.jpeg

Weird thing is 4 different cameras make it out to be blue which it is far from! It’s “ocean turquoise” by Rothko and Frost and very much more green that this shows!
    One final coat left and then on to the lacquer.
    I got there in the end!

Attached Files:

18. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Haha awesome, I see my comment from 2013 up there! No worries about how long it takes, I just finished a build in December of 2017 that took me close to 5 years as well. Life happens! It looks great!

19. Krist

Krist Strat-O-Master

It does indeed! I’ve now managed to get the final coat on after a bit of splatter. I had to order a new spray can but wait for the colour to be made up.
    upload_2019-3-14_22-11-21.jpeg
    This is it with a thin coat of the Cellulose, getting there slowly.
    I also got the neck back from Feline Guitars, great guys, they have installed an LSR roller nut for me as that was a bit too daunting.
    upload_2019-3-14_22-14-27.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.