Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

96 MIM Fat Strat Locking Tuners Options

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ykf7b0Je, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM.

1. ykf7b0Je

ykf7b0Je Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have been reading lots of posts on the web regarding locking tuners on MIM Strats. I am confused because some say their MIM has 10mm tuner holes in the headstock. My 96 hss has 7 . somethings and I have not found a supplier with locking tuners for these small holes. My questions are: where do I find a 10mm drill bit? The Lowes near me doesn't stock any metric bits. Also, If I do drill and get Fender locking tuners will they cover the small screw holes used to secure the factory tuners to the headstock? It looks to me that the nice Fender locking tuners mount a different way using a nut. One last question? will I need the string tree's after installing locking tuners? I don't like the idea of having empty screw holes if the trees are not needed. Thanks! Greg

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    @ykf7b0Je Welcome to ST by the way

Two things: If you are going to open those holes with a drill bit make sure that you use a drill press. Do NOT try it with a hand held drill...I always do this with my drill press and a 25/64 drill bit since I split a headstock all the way into the neck with a hand held. If you don/t have access to a drill press then use a hand reamer to open the holes.

Also there will normally be holes left in the back of the headstock especially if you are replacing trapezoid tuners. You can fill these holes with toothpicks and a little glue. When installing the new tuners use a straight edge (ruler) and lay it across the bottom of all the tuners before putting the screws into the eyelets and this will make sure that they are all sitting straight in the headstock.

GDS

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:46 PM

3. ykf7b0Je

Nov 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks Believer!!! Are string tree's needed with locking tuners?

4. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    They will be if they are not staggered. If they are staggered height then no.

5. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    One more thing if using a drill bit instead of a reamer. Don't be afraid to go painfully slow and put a block of wood under the hole you are reaming. The block helps to keep the wood from chipping on the back and so does the going slow part (as well as keeping the neck from being pulled out of your hand).

6. ykf7b0Je

Nov 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I'm taking your advice for sure! Thanks Believer for your help with this! Merry Christmas!!!!

7. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Good luck! Be sure to take some before and after pics and post them. It's cool to see how people mods their axes. Here's one that I did the tuners on.
    Then
    1512837437566.jpg
    1512837701744.jpg
    Now
    1512837715778.jpg
    1512837722721.jpg
    If you look at the last picture closely you can see that the holes are still there from the original tuners. I just didn't fill them on this one... maybe I will oke day but it doesn't bother me either way.
    I hope you have a Merry Christmas too.