Join Strat-Talk Today

A Follow On Post To My Previous ShynessThread

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stevierayfan91, Mar 14, 2019.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply Shy. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, buddies
    I am an introvert whose also deeply shy.
    My deep shyness is separate aspect of me.

I read recently a book called Quiet:The Hidden Strengths of Introverts by Susan Cain.
    Not trying to say is a flaw. Just that this book showed me some ideas and skills I had as a result of introvert style.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Nadnitram, Cerb, montemerrick and 7 others like this.
  2. nungesser

nungesser Prolix!Prolix Nothing a pair of scissors can't fix Strat-Talk Supporter

I guess I was always shy or thought I was but as I've gotten older I realise maybe I'm not as concerned as others in being the center of attention or having to speak louder than everybody else to be heard so I'm thinking that these days I'm content as opposed to shy

3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Many of us are shy and can only "say" things on the computer that we would never say in "real life" .

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m very shy but have gotten much better at managing it.
    However, I’m not particularly reserved, which probably helps!:D

5. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

I’m usually very quiet around people I don’t know.
    It can give you a chance to find out about someone and whether or not you really want to associate with them.

6. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-O-Master

Very shy here... I especially don't do well in crowds... Have always been happiest by myself. Use your shyness to your advantage!

7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

I was always the new kid in school...an awful lot of fights, but also new social groups to navigate. I learned to hide my shyness, by being a clown, a battering ram to the guys that wanted to fight, tormentor of school officials, and protector of kids being picked on. Now, the only time shyness is an issue, is when playing in front of new people.

8. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I am an introverted extrovert.

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I cant say I am shy but I tend to keep to myself in crowds..

BallisticSquid and abnormaltoy like this.
  10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am one of those new fangled "Non-shy introverts." I am not particularly shy but I do not always want to engage and I need my alone time.

11. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

i'm shy until i've figured out the room. then i'm henny youngman mother jones abbie hoffman martin buber and corey from juia (so one-fifth fictitious, but that fifth has diahann carroll for his mother.)

12. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Ditto.....thanks, you saved me some typing....

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't think being shy and being an introvert are the same thing. I'm not particularly shy - I'm happy to initiate contact or a conversation with someone I've just met or run into. But I also consider myself an introvert.

The best definition I ever read or heard of the difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that an extrovert feeds off of and gets energy from interacting with other people. They can be with others all day and be energized at the end of the day - they GET energy from other people. An introvert, OTOH, can like people enormously and enjoy their company as much as an extrovert, BUT IN LIMITED DOSES. Because the introvert is USING or DRAINING energy when they're around and interacting with other people. It wears them out and after a certain amount of time, they just have to withdraw. They need time alone to recharge their batteries to be up for the next time they're around other people. I'm absolutely like that. I love other people and being around them. But only for a little while and then I crave time to myself. And only when I'm getting plenty of alone time (or time with just my wife and/or daughters, who I'm connected with in a way that I'm as comfortable in their company as I am alone). I know you can be an introvert without being shy - I'm one of them. I'm not sure how it would work to be an extrovert while also being shy, but I wouldn't be surprise if that's possible too - someone who craves being around other people even if it's hard for them to take the first step in getting to know new people???

-Ray

14. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

YES.

I took my last job as a teacher to force myself to get up in front of people and talk, it forced me to overcome that fear. However one on one it's more challenging, but I've been trying to work on that. Agreed with RaySachs on the fact that we do socialize, but it is more strenuous.

Funny thing is, I can get up on stage with a guitar and be totally comfortable. My analysis of that is 1) I'm having fun 2) I'm hiding behind my guitar and 3) everyone is paying attention to the front man, barring solos.

15. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to be painfully shy as a kid. Literally hid behind my mom's skirts.

But I compensated with humor.

And learned to look at people's bridge of thier nose in conversation.

I'm what a psychologist calls an introvert with exagerated extrovert tendencies.

circles, abnormaltoy and Nadnitram like this.
  16. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

At heart, I'm shy. But I seem outgoing. In modern terminology, I think it would be described as "social anxiety." I get so jittery in social situations that the only thing I can think to do is try to make a joke. I especially can't stand a lull in the conversation, even for a few seconds. My brain freezes. So I panic and say something obnoxious.

Imagine: For every stupid comment I post here on ST, I delete four before posting. That's right, the juvenile crap I post here is the cream of the crop. But in real life, I can't delete before posting. I don't get to see it in print before hitting "Post Reply." Once it's out of my mouth, it's out there. God bless my wife!

Now that I think about it, what the hell is wrong with my wife? Why has she stayed with me all these years? (Note to self: Buy flowers.)

17. abnormaltoy

Ha! Save the money for the flowers...try this instead, just go up to her, hold her and whisper "thank you". She'll value that long after the flowers are in the landfill.

Nadnitram likes this.
  18. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Intent: <holds her, whispers> Thank you!

Reality: <holds her, whispers> Ummm... <panics, says loudly> A priest, a rabbi, and a stripper walk into a bar...

I'll have the flowers on hand, too, just to be safe.;)

19. abnormaltoy

Ha! Surely you must have some swoover, you got her...right?

Nadnitram likes this.
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Just be you. And to hell with what anyone thinks. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.