Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

A Little help Please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Believer7713, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I just went into my local GC and while their used section normally isn't all that great, today was an exception. I found 4 guitars that I am really digging on but don't know a lot about one in particular that caught my eye. It's a MIJ strat in charcoal frost with a Kahler bridge. Since it's being sold as a vintage they will not deal on the price and it's currently listed at $399. It will need a setup and nw gets before long neither of which is a big deal since I will take care of them myself. What do you guys think?
    1531262876489.jpg
    1531262886874.jpg
    1531262892154.jpg
    1531262919235.jpg

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    It's a beautiful guitar and I honestly don't think $ 399.00 is too far out of range. I certainly would, especially if it talks to you when you play it.

vlxerdon and abnormaltoy like this.

3. wvincagold

wvincagold Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    West Virginia
    I would snap it quick. The Kahler is worth 150.00 and I got to tell you I love mine. I find I pick it up to practice because it's never out of tune. I love my kahler. Good looking guitar. Pull the trigger. You will not regret it imho.

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. wvincagold

wvincagold Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    West Virginia
    I would add Japanese strats are awesome! Mine is an 87 and it kicks butt. Everyone who picks it up cannot believe how much they love it. Cannot go wrong with a Japanese strat imho I will never buy another MIM or MIA.

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I already have two MIJ strats... well one and a half. One is contemporary with a series 1 bridge and the other was a modded strat that had a Floyd put on it that tore the body out so badly that it couldn't be repaired so I bought another body and made a partscaster with the Japanese neck. Both are E series guitars but I don't know much about the I series.

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Fender didn't use those Kahler Steeler bridges for long; they switched from the older Spyder bridge (as found on the HM Strats) to the Steeler for part of a year, then they picked up the distribution for Floyd Rose products when Kramer went bankrupt and they switched everything over to OFRs or FRIIs (depending on the model).

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Calling @guitarmegeddon is this a contemporary series or can you tell? I appreciate your input.

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it is.....

$400 is top dollar value.....if it's plus tax plus shipping I wouldn't do it but if it's local it might be a good deal....

Basswood body, 12" fretboard radius (some are 9.5" though), and flat pole alnico pickups....

9. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    It is a local sale at GC. It looks like a 12 inch radius and I already have one with the 9.5 inch radius currently and I love the way it plays too. I'm just on the fence right now and I know that I will have to probably make a decision in the next couple hours.

abnormaltoy likes this.

10. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Ok so I went back after work today asks the strat was gone as I figured it would be. I was too busy to call while I was at work so now I'm looking at another one that caught my eye.
    1531348289107.jpg
    1531348296987.jpg
    1531348439816.jpg
    Again it plays really good and it has a belly cut so it's comfy. Just don't know much about these newer Chinese teles. Anyone?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.

11. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    have you looked at guitarcenter.com used guitars

abnormaltoy likes this.

12. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    The strat is gone. I'm thinking about the tele now

abnormaltoy and apm1991 like this.

13. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    yeah my bad.. I should have read before writing.. I tried to edit it

abnormaltoy likes this.

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That's $350 new - Contemporary Tele HH - new model! grab it!

15. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Thanks. I think I will.

david57strat likes this.

16. baconjerky

baconjerky Strat-Talk Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Richmond
    I liked the strat but that tele price nah. Sounds like money’s burning a hole in your pocket man. Just pass

17. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have a Chinese Tele ... a Modern Player Plus ... it's my easiest playing guitar, an absolute joy to play ... but I haven't been able to get it to sound right. I just don't like how it sounds; it's not horrible, also not great. It has three p/u and a Humbucker in the bridge position. I considered replacing the pickups, but I didn't get a very good deal on the guitar, and feel more like cutting my losses. But it's a joy to play ... lol. Don't know how long it will last, that's the next concern, but the electrics are what I didn't like about my Chinese Tele.

18. david57strat

david57strat Strat-Talk Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I picked up my MIJ Standard back in 1996, and absolutely love it. It had some tuning issues (like many Strats do, where the string would stick at the nut, or sometimes in the tree); but I eventually had my tech fabricate and install a stone nut and locking tuners, and it stays perfectly in tune, no matter what I do with the bar, or how I bend the strings.

Twenty-two years later, and I'm still in love with this guitar. I'd never part with it.

I don't have any experience with the Chinese-made Fenders. Good luck, whatever you decide!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    circles and Believer7713 like this.

19. david57strat

david57strat Strat-Talk Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had a Contemporary Telecaster, back in the mid-Eighties. It was very unusual, in that it had dual (exposed pole piece) humbuckers, a solid black body, with black neck (rosewood board), matching black headstock and black tuners.

It had a locking nut, and floating bridge, and the bar snapped in-place, as opposed to being threaded.

It also had a coil splitter switch. I don't think it ever had the typical Tele spank that most Tele's had, but it was still a great guitar. I probably would eventually have replaced the pickups with some EMG's, or something.

I'm really sorry I ever sold that guitar. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. But that was my very first Japanese-made Fender.

It was absolutely beautiful. I wish I still had, or at least some pictures of it :(

Recently saw a similar one, but in a different color, but missing the bar, on eBay:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=152133787761

I don't think I could ever get myself to pay 700 bucks for a used one, even if I had it, though. I paid about 400 and change, for mine, new, with the case.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Believer7713 likes this.

20. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have a contemporary strat from this era with that kind of bridge. I got it as a basket case that needed a LOT of work. I ended up stripping it and finishing it clear then putting a set of Alexander Pribora Hot Custom p'ups in it. I also refretted it with jumbo fret wire like you would find on a Jackson.
    1531361150271.jpg

david57strat and circles like this.