Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

A lot of us have G.A.S. but do you also have M.O.R.E syndrome??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rudos1, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "Nope. I had it with cycling. I had enough spare parts and even frames around to damn near start my own shop. I’d build a bike up from parts on a Saturday nd ride 60 miles on it Sunday. I basically never bought bikes, just stuff with which to make bikes. And I almost never left well enough alone..."

That was me to a T until I bought my son a guitar for Christmas in 2001, right after messing up both knees on a charity ride. First time I walked into a GC it was all over.

2. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Swapping out Vintage 54 pickups from {insert boutique pickup maker} for the Vintage 54 pickups I got from {insert boutique pickup maker} made a huge difference in tone...HUGE!

I don't have a problem...

You've been talking to my wife haven't you?

I swear these pickups from {insert boutique pickup maker} are the last ones. :oops:

3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I come from a long line of tinkerererers. If it has nuts/bolts/screws/rivets or I can pry it open, I will take it apart. Once the guts are exposed, I'm going to find something to "improve". Simply a fact of life in my gene pool.

One of the best features of buying a Fender guitar is the sheer mass of goodies available for it on the aftermarket.

4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I've messed with every guitar I have but once I get it right I don't mess with them again

5. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-Talker

Nov 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    "I should refinish this..."

6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Not certain I have the syndrome. I do have 6 Teiscos, 1 Silvertone, 1 12 string Ovation. All purchased for the purpose of teardown and rebuild. These were to be my on hands Luthier lesson. 3 of 8 complete so far. Oh, and these led to a Squire rebuild. Guess that's 4 of 9 complete. Some guitars should stay stock.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yup. The only guitar I have that’s unmodded is my Gretsch 5622. I just haven’t gotten to it yet....

8. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I really don't want to Mod my Epi 335 but reflector knobs are a must with cherry red 335s in my opinion and the Epi 335 pros have really odd looking green tulip tuners. Who's idea was that?

oh well... i guess i have work to do. I got the reflector knobs, waiting on the pointer washers to arrive ;)

Groovey likes this.

9. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    Only one of my four strats is as it left the factory. It will likely stay that way, outside of any future repair items. Sometimes they are too right to mess with. That guitar actually led to the mod direction on two other guitars.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I haven't changed anything in over 20 years, except to replace the switch tip that fell off and disappeared. Unless something breaks or wears out, I have no intentions of doing so in the future.

Neil.C and StratSounds like this.

11. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    Nope

As said a few times before GAS is under control by now and has been since early 2000's.

MORE is a new one first time to be addressed so here goes.

No my ocd is picky and thereby the original standard of any gear means ya or nay right of down to silly details and on to the next one.

Even with partscaster Blackie which was a mod piece by default when I traded for it back in 1995 I just wanted to make it look like a decent guitar and sound but CS69 pickups cured that and they are still in it

Once I found something that worked I stuck with it. Just 3 updates since 1995. Last one in 2014 and now I can't say what to change if any. But it finally looks like a guitar. Gold hardware was the last piece to make it better.

I did have 2 mods done to see what it would do. One was treble bleed which I find useful and the other is a no load pot on the bridge so I can turn it down. Though CS69 pickups are not to high output to override.

Still Blackie sounds as well as ever and I customize it to my needs if there is a need and that is mostly for playing it.

12. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm hands off kinda guy.

13. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Oh heavens no. I always look for something I DO NOT have to mess with.

14. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

I know those new green tuner buttons. I'm not a fan. Ought be that old off white.

Chont likes this.

15. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    The switch tip probably joined up with mine after if took two bounces then down the heat vent.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

16. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Yup....you should see the engine bay in my car!

17. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sep 10, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Nope, modding takes up too much time when I could be playing instead. I'll take the time to set a guitar up, but after that it's just string changes and I usually delay that until it absolutely has to be done.

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I used to, but I have learned to control the MORE syndrome. Mostly through experience, and experimentation/comparison, telling me that most of the mods I always thought were essential, are not. Most are not even slightly necessary.

These days, all of my guitars are stock, with a rare exception.

19. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    I'm suffering from a different but similar problem. I have every guitar that I want. It's taken 50+ years. And it has taken very little modification to get them just like I want them. So, what do I do now ?
    Well, I do practice a lot, change strings a lot, and now I've taken up the mandolin. So there may be life after mods after all.
    Not a lot you can do to a little mandolin that already has way too many strings. But I stay busy tuning it.
    Don

20. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    No, not interested in messing around with guitars.

I buy them if I like them as they are not some pie in the sky idea of how they could be.

s5tuart likes this.