Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

A Tail of Two Basses

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by CaseCandy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    A few months back I had the opportunity to buy a bass for the equivalent of US$80. It's the one on the left in the photo below, a Squier P.bass of some kind that had been redecaled as a Fender (the decal is done so it looks original but the CY serial is a giveaway). I bought it knowing it had been false branded.

I wanted to see if I would enjoy bass and I really got on well so I decided to go and get the MiM version of the same, but for pau ferro instead of rose. The one on the right.

They are so similar, apart from the truss rod hole, 3 ply pickguard and position of the string tree they are visually very much the same. The MiM does not play better than the Squier, in fact the slightly heavier hardware on the headstock makes the MiM a little neck heavy and less well balanced.

However, the MiM does sound better, especially with the tone knob wound fully on, there is less string slide squeak and trebly unwanted hissy sounds.

basses.jpg

Hugh likes this.

2. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    it's twin's! congratulations :cool:
    looks like your having fun with them,

CaseCandy likes this.

3. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland

One is going over to Wexford on Friday so I'll have bass available at both locations.