Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

A Very Pleasant Find- AVRI Content

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dueducs, Mar 10, 2018.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

So, I have an '88 AVRI that I bought in 1988. I believe I bought it new, but there is a humbucker route in the neck pup position, so apparently it was pre-owned- not sure if I got swindled at the time or if I knew it was pre-owned and forgot. Anyway, I knew I had a box of guitar stuff in storage that I hadn't seen in many years. I emptied the storage unit yesterday and found a very pleasant stash that included ALL my AVRI case candy, the original back plate, trem arm, three-way selector switch and the original receipt for the guitar. Even had duplicates of several items (I bought 2 AVRIs in 1988). Very exciting (to me)!
    As if that weren't cool enough, I also found a stash of collectible comic books from the 70s and 80s. Yay for pleasant surprises and recovered treasures.

20180310_173734[1].jpg

aiabx, Fat Strat Rat, Robins and 8 others like this.

2. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    Awesome! I have a 1986 ‘62 AVRI I bought 8 years back. Only got the green booklet and the trem cover in original case.

3. dueducs

Now, since I found three knobs in the box, I assume they are from the AVRI. They are four lug style, not three like older Strats. This begs the question, are the four-lug original equipment for the 80s AVRIs?

4. omni43

omni43 Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2015
    Annandale, VA
    What sort of comic books you talkin about?

5. dueducs

For clarity, I am adding a picture of what I mean by three lug and four lug knobs.

20180311_125508[1].jpg

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I love my 1986 62RI. I have never given a moments thought to how the knobs are made, or what booklets it came with.

7. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    Any Silver Surfer (Vol. 3, 1987 on...) or Adam Warlock in there?

8. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Just curious. What did an AVRI cost in '88?

9. dueducs

@knh555 So, let's decipher the receipt. I had purchased a '62 reissue Tele & wasn't satisfied with the setup. They tried to get it to my liking, but it had problems so I returned the Tele. Looks like I paid $481.95 for the Tele and an additional $247.80 to get the Strat, so $729.75... $300 less than the 1988 Fender Price List of $1049.99 (first page shown below).

2018-03-11_19.39.30[1].jpg

20180311_194846[1].jpg

knh555 likes this.

10. dueducs

No no... I was a standards kind of guy (Batman, Superman, Spider Man), so I have stuff like the death of Robin, the death of Superman, Peter Parker's wedding, and some 80s start up series like Frank Miller's Dark Knight, Gotham by Gaslight, etc. etc. Only the good stuff- I gave all the common stuff to a friend back in 2010.

chrimturn likes this.

11. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I think I remember that shop, it was sorta down town Spartanburg right? or am i thinking of something else. I remember going into one in the mid 90's when I would go up to work at Vic Bailey Ford.

12. dueducs

Yes... very close to the City Police station.

13. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    Indeed, cool stuff :)

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-O-Master

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    I thought you were going to say you found the original unrouted AVRI body. Wouldn't that be awesome?...

`

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That can't be right. 62RI Teles were only introduced around 1998/9. The only AVRI Teles available from 1982 to 1999 were 52s, unfortunately.

16. dueducs

You are correct... it was the MIJ '62 RI- dbl bound SB version, not an AVRI version.

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well the Japanese 62 Teles were not "RI"s, they were a much cheaper 62 type Tele with basswood bodies & noticeably fatter necks. I bought one of the CAR ones, & it wasn't a patch on my 62RI Strat in any way.

18. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2015
    Old England
    The 4-spoke knobs were around in the late '80s through the '90s but I'm not sure when the transition from 3-spoke to 4-spoke knobs took place.

19. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    It's always cool to find stuff like that.
    A few years ago, I found a comic book version of Terminator 2 (the movie) that I got in 1991. It was in perfect condition, and some time ago I had placed it in a ziplock plastic bag to help protect it. I decided to take it out of the bag to have a look, and accidentally ripped the corner of the cover, maybe an inch or 2. After all those years.. :mad: