Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Acoustic guitar action high near bridge - update

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by apm1991, Jul 20, 2018.

1. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I had changed the strings on my Ibanez AW400 acoustic guitar and noticed the action was very high near the bridge... Took it to guitar center, he tweaked the truss rod very slightly but he actually determined the cause for the high action is because the solid top looks dry... They sold me a $10 humidifier and said it should fix the problem.. Saved me money on a set-up I didn't need.. Hopefully it will work... I never would have thought the action was high because it needed more humidity

Chont likes this.
  2. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Go to the Taylor guitar web, Bob Taylor made a few videos showing repairs done just that way. A real eye opener.

When using the humidifier thing, make sure the Guitar is enclosed like in the case or a big sealed plastic bag.

Rich

apm1991 likes this.
  3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    Wood drying out is one of the most common reasons for guitar damage.... warping, cracking, joints failing, frets loosening... I'm a tech with my own shop... when I get an acoustic guitar in with a cracked top I will usually place a damp sponge inside the guitar in a dish, so it isn't directly touching wood, and leave it overnight. Usually by the next morning the crack will have closed up, often to the point I have difficulty getting glue into the crack to make the repair.

Now, whether or not humidifying your guitar will completely correct your action issue remains to be seen, but it is a good first step, and something you should continue using.

apm1991 and Chont like this.
  4. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    thanks for posting this.

Hope this does the trick for you.

apm1991 likes this.
  5. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I put the humidifier in the guitar, and guitar in the case last night.. I'm not going to touch it for a couple days. I need the guitar to record a song on Sunday so hopefully it will be good by then... I'll keep you guys posted

Chont likes this.
  6. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Check the sponge tonight. Don't wait. The guitar will only absorbs whatever the moisture it requires. If it is dried out, put another in straight away.

I live in northern Illinois. Here in the winter, 3 to 4 sponges a week dry out. In the summer 1 to 2 per week. I keep them in both my acoustics year round.

apm1991 likes this.
  7. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Ok, I will as soon as I get home.. I live here in Tucson, AZ.. The desert. right now it's monsoon season so we've had some rain but typically 95% of the year we have no rain and less than 10% humidity.