Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Acoustic vs Electric snobbery?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by mikej89, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:15 AM.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Me and my old man were recently having a good debate. He says to me "I Can't even get into acoustic snobbery." I thought that's hilarious coming from a guy who owns an $1800+ PRS lol.

Nate D and EC Strat-boy like this.
  2. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    As someone who dug deep in to acoustic snobbery and electric snobbery, I can say that electric wins. Lol

Electric guitar snobs are a dime a dozen.. everyone thinks they’re right and everyone has their views and thoughts that are absolutely correct. Everything from pickup outputs to fretboard woods, bolted neck or set neck, single coil vs humbucker, the list goes on and on.. I’ve learned.

In my experience, most acoustic players I talk to just have preference on brand.. the biggest snobs I’ve come across really have just been Martin players hating on anything that isn’t Martin, obviously. Outside of that, everyone just goes with what brand they like.. people get lost when I talk about different neck shapes and different bracing patterns, some can follow a tone wood talk but most just play what’s pretty and sounds decent.

3. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    I have one acoustic.. a 2012 Taylor 114CE I was playing outside of a bowling ally the other day while I waited for my friends to show up for some drinks (I was songwriting outside prior to going.. just wasting time while I waited, I don’t take my guitar everywhere, promise lol)

It turned out that the bowling ally had an acoustic night inside.. one of the guys from the headlining duo came outside for a smoke during one of his breaks and noticed my guitar.

“Nice Taylor. You just get it? Looks brand new.”

Me -“Nope, had it for 6 years. She’s definitely played.. *i point out the worn wood above the pickguard near the soundhole*”

“Wow, you take good care of her. New strings though, right?”

Me -“Nah, I wish. These elixirs are about 2 months old.. played on almost every day. Due for some new ones, actually.”

Maybe I’m the snob? Idk. I just think a lot of acoustic players don’t care for the small details that a lot of electric players do.

arcticstrat and mikej89 like this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    Neither can compare to the mandolin guys. If you aren't playing a $6000 mando, you are invisible to them.
    PS: my $100 Ibanez does the job for me. But don't spread that around.

ZlurkCorzDog, Groovey and JB74 like this.
  5. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I have a 1978 Alvarez Regent acoustic, which is worth about $19.78....I’ve never even picked up a Martin or Taylor acoustic. I figured I would cause one of those nice acoustics to suddenly devalue if I ever messed with one.

The Strat Dude and Groovey like this.
  6. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 16, 2018
    Louisville Kentucky
    LOLOL

7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I have never owned an acoustic but if I did I would probably buy a quality beast with onboard everything. It's a tool and I like quality tools because they play easier and I ignore issues and just play.

Stratoskater likes this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    I see much more lieneancy towards electric guitars in forums. However I really can’t talk given the guitars in my current quiver but I don’t look down on anyone for what instrument’s they play.

Groovey likes this.
  9. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    See for acoustic I’m of the simple is better camp. Don’t like built in tuners and prefer no pickup. My Martin OMJM has a pickup but there are no volume or tone control, it’s wired straight to the jack with nothing in the way. I still use a mic with it vs plugged in.

10. FeloniousDrunk

FeloniousDrunk Strat-Talk Member

Both parties are equally guilty.

A basic acoustic guitar is a thing of simplistic beauty.

An electric guitar has many variables that affects sound from the scale length, pickups, pot & cap values, string types, etc. that gets further complicated by pedals and amps.

Point is there’s so much in the chain that each minut piece, no matter how trivial, is subjective to debate.

I think people should be more focussed on their music rather than snobbery. I’ve seen too many touring bands that play instruments considered garbage that make far more compelling music than a lot of snobs do, or will.

Stratoskater likes this.
  11. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    Without sharing a boring list, I enjoy several pre WWII Martins and Gibsons, some contemporaries, and a couple custom builds. Flattops don't get the benefit of amps, effects, or pickups. IMO, you can trick out a Fender Bullet with $400, push it thru a $600 tube amp, and produce sonic bliss. You can find some nice flattops for $1000 too. But, you can't spend any amount of money on a mediocre flattop and make it much better. They either have it, or they don't. So, I assign more selectivity for flattops and acoustic instruments in general, than solid bodies. That might be heresy on this forum :eek:

Stratoskater likes this.
  13. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    I’m the same way with acoustics. You can’t mod and build em up like an electric, you gotta get a good one to begin with.

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I think everyone knows what makes a great acoustic. There's not as much room for debate over whether the paint affects the tone and nonsense like that.

Not to mention that acoustic players all have soft James Taylor-type personalities that don't thrive on conflict. :)

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    You must not have delved into the french polish debates versus shellac or spirit varnish vs nitro cellulose...and as far as all acoustic players being meek, don't forget the pure physical attack required to drive jazz manouche on a Selmer copy, or the bluegrass whip necessary to anchor a bluegrass band with a D28, or holding down a string band sans an upright, with a J45.

3bolt79 and Paperback Rocker like this.
  16. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I find that acoustic players just dig good sounding acoustic guitars. I’m a Martin guy, but I dig them all really.

spizike231 likes this.
  17. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I spend time on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and a couple different electric forums. There’s PLENTY of snobbery on both sides, although the prices tend to be a lot higher on the acoustic side. There are several custom luthiers making acoustics that are in the $10,000 and up range with loooong waiting lists - it’s a lot harder to spend that kind of money or wait as long for a new electric. I don’t have super high end anything, but each of my three electrics is in the $500-1000 range while my two acoustic guitars (both carbon fiber) were a bit over $2000 each. All are good solid guitars that play and sound the way I like, but none are super high end. But I find you have to spend more to get a real quality acoustic than electric.

-Ray

Nate D likes this.