Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Adventures at the local shop... Strymon Möbius

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Electgumbo, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    IMG_1706.JPG I was minding my own business scrubbing the floor tiles and grout in the kitchen when the phone rings. I see from the caller ID that it's one of the local shops. I think " hum I don't own them any money" so I answered. It was Raymond the owner. "Slim I just wanted you to know we just received our first shipment of Strymon pedals and I was told you were interested in a Möbius". First I'm shocked that it's the owner and not one of the salesman. I tell him that I'm interested in getting one and maybe a Timeline but I'm short on funds for such expensive gear at the moment. Well he says to come by and try them out when I get a chance. I tell him I well and thank him for the call.

So I'm back on my knees scrubbing the grout and figure playing a new pedal would be more fun. I'm not going to finish the whole kitchen in a day anyway. I'd already spent several hours on it and I have planned on doing it over the coarse of several days. So I put away the cleaning stuff and jumped in my chariot and road off to see just why and who it could be this time.

The Möbius was awesome! I grabbed a CS Strat I fancied and plugged in to a plain Jane BluesJr. Why a BJ you ask? I always test stuff on them cause I figure if I can make it sound good on a BJ then it should sound good on anything I have including my own BJ. Plugging in to the JCM 800 half stack would be too easy. Besides it's funny to plug $4,500 guitar and pedal in to a $500 amp!

The unit was easy to suss out. The Vibe was as good as or better then my vibes (Drybell, Deja Vibes) at home. I ran thru my Trower and Hendrix licks and made adjustments. It was cool to have tap tempo also. And the speed ramps up or down like a Leslie! So the Vibe setting got a check mark.

The Rotary setting was also spectacular! It had that something that's missing from my Hammond Leslie and RT-20 pedals. Something in the horn was sweeter and dragged behind the bass rotor in a cool why. So out came my faux organ and double stop licks... oh and Badge!!! I guess this is how their LEX pedal sounds. And it growled like a Leslie! Now I look around and the whole store in looking back at me... I hate when that happens. Rotary setting gets a check..

So on and on I went thru the Flangers and Phasers and Tremolo and even that crazy bit cruncher sound that I turned in to a rather cool ring modulator by turning a few knobs...

I spend about a hour playing the darn thing. You know what struck me was how quiet it all was... no sweep noise no throbbing ... nothing. It only made sound when you played... I had the amp overdriven and you could hear it but not the Möbius. It was dead silent.
    I guess prestine is the only word that describes something like this. And it bothered me. I never thought of Vibes as being prestine. They are chewie gooyie treble attenuating contraptions. Same thing with my Vibratone cab.. it's this big clunky mini fridge of a thing and you hope the belt don't break or the drum don't comes flying thru the grill cloth or you don't blow that little 10" speaker. Which I've done several times.

But damn it sounded good. It's not that big and would fit easily on the board by replacing 2 or 3 pedals. It don't weight nothing either. I guess a couple of chips and switches is all there is to it. I didn't get to try this feature but you can place the input signal before or after the unit. So you can have your Vibe sounds before your dirt pedals and the Rotary sounds after your dirt pedals. Regardless or where the pedal actually is in the chain.... who though of that?

I packed it all back up in its lil' box and thanked Raymond for rescuing me from my grout! He told me he'd knock me off a chunk of the $449. I told him I'd be back for it one day. The Strymon Möbius is definitely on my short list.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

2. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Great story. Have more? I'm trying to avoid going to the gym :)

3. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Awesome.

...so it's HNPD tomorrow?

Working Man likes this.

4. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I cough cough got a floor that needs scrubbing ..,

ZlurkCorzDog and MetalPedal like this.

5. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I don't know !!! It's a lot on money for a lil' shinie box. Maybe I'll sell some pedals or .., wait for it .., Income Tax time is near!

6. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Reviving this Zombie Thread. Today I saw a Mobius in the used pedal case at GC. My favorite place to buy pedals. Any how $325 is a good chunk off the $450 so the wheels started turning. I got a bunch of stuff out in the garage that I really never use. I know I’m a Pedal horder but maybe it’s time to let some stuff go. Any how for $40 buck out of pocket I got the Mobius. I get to pick it up Sunday... i’ll make a HNPD thread when I get it!!!

nhsdpl, didger, ZlurkCorzDog and 7 others like this.

7. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Excellent deal. Good stuff!

Electgumbo likes this.

8. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Oh man, I loves me my Mobius. I admit there are just 4 or 5 patches I use all the time for my current needs, including lots of the awesome Leslie, but I love playing with all the other stuff in my spare time and knowing that I've got every pitch/time effect I could ever want at my fingertips is awesome.

Electgumbo and ZlurkCorzDog like this.

9. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    2FC0A9F4-ADEF-49B3-8C02-9DF74538DFA0.jpeg
    @didger
    Are you running your O/D pedals thru the Mobius? Using it like it’s own effects loop with the pre/post switch engaged? That’s how I wired up mine. I think it changes the sound of the O/D pedals due to a buffer that is on when using this feature. It cleans up the pedals a little. But I got it rolling non the less. Just wondering how you use yours.

RPKennedy likes this.

10. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I must admit to doing nothing fancy in the wiring. Dirt pedals first, then mobius. Then stereo to timeline then big sky then two amps.

Electgumbo likes this.

11. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Ok you running it STEREO! That different from my setup.