Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Advice on doing a complete Partscaster Build

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by axejock, Aug 18, 2018.

1. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    Gee, that Oly White Strat looks like what I am trying to build....nice! Yes, I was hoping to find an exact color match between the guitar paint and the pickguard. I can get close with "some" of the Parchment color guards out there, and have now ordered a genuine Fender version of that. But I've also adopted a more "extreme" approach that uses some rather unique pickguard themes/colors. Some are quite cool! I guess that since it's a Partscaster, I can get really crazy if I want to (lol).
    A new question that I have involves the fit between the body and the neck. My parts fit together very nicely, but there is a very slight amount of clearance between the sides of the neck to body fit. Should this be a tight fit or is a small clearance OK (easier to assemble) and will the neck screws secure the neck in place so it cannot move however slightly? Some folks talk about shimming the neck....is that something I should think about? And by the way, very close examination of this neck has really impressed me...it is a nice piece of work. I am quite sure that I will use it as is without any further finishing. It looks nearly flawless, the rosewood is beautiful, and the frets are great and perfectly level! Whew! However, is there a treatment for the rosewood fretboard and the finished, exposed maple neck areas that I should apply before it actually goes into use?

sp8ctre likes this.
  2. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Is that a Fender MIJ body? I’ve been thinking about doing the same. How do you like that body?

3. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    The body I am using is a 2007 MIM 60's reissue made of alder and has a gorgeous Olympic White finish, It is in incredible shape without a blemish that I can find. Really too nice for a project, but I love it and will attempt to do the build so as to do justice to the quality of the body and neck!

sp8ctre likes this.
  4. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    Allparts MIJ which, depending how you see it, is Fender. Stratosphere has the best prices on these.

sp8ctre likes this.
  5. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    To answer your question, I like it a lot. It needed some very minor cleaning up in the pocket.

6. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    Nothing is too "Nice" for a project! The nicer parts you use the better guitar you end up with!

That body I posted is a 2018 Fender American Professional, the neck is the gorgeous roasted maple I posted and the pickups are Custom Shop wound by Josefina

7. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    Boy, I've come to a dead stop while I await the arrival of parts that I have ordered. Just as well as it have given me time to think this through a lot more and weigh the pros and cons of going wild on some things or to stay with more "conservative" things, primarily the pickguard which really makes the most visual impact on the finished product. I think I have finally decided, but not after some severe mental gymnastics and making printed samples of the themes considered. Thinking too hard hurts at my age!!

sp8ctre likes this.
  8. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    OK, while I wait for parts I decided to check out the "updated" tremolo system/steel block
    that came with my project body. I screwed in the trem arm and found that I couldn't make the bridge move one bit. So, I looked in the back and there were 4 springs installed (I'm used to 3). So I decided I would just reinstall the whole thing since I know how to do that. I took all the springs out and checked the bridge adjustment....it was not set up right at all and I had to readjust all of the mounting screws. That done, I reinstalled the springs (3 of them in an angled pattern) and set the tension where I always have, and behold, the mechanism functioned as it should with proper bridge motion. I noticed that the seller of the body had also broken the grounding wire to the claw off, so I had to re-solder that back on. Hum?
    Anyway, is there any such thing as heavy or light duty tremolo springs for this use? How many springs do most of you use (as I see any number up to 5 is possible) and why do you choose that number? I have always seen and used 3, but MANY folks do it different. I'm just trying to understand more about these tremolos and how others use/modify them.

sp8ctre likes this.
  9. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    I don't use the trem extensively and I like it firm. So I use 5 springs. They do make different strengths as well. Some I have are very tight and hard to install.

10. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    So are the number and/or strength of the springs just player preference? Can you order springs to your own specs or are they made only for a specific guitar model application? I see all sorts ads for these springs but they don't say anything about their strength....just that they are "Genuine Fender". Actually, I don't use the tremolo myself very much (I usually leave the arm off), but I do like to have it working properly because if it's there, it should work!

sp8ctre likes this.
  11. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    Many people feel it's better to just deck it and block it in the back if you don't use it at all. It provides better tuning stability.

As for the springs, I have no idea if they are marked. I just ended up with a lot of them over the years and you can tell by pulling on this which ones are super stiff.

12. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    I'm one of these guys that believe that if it came on the guitar and is actually an upgrade to what was on the original that it might as well stay there and function properly. I can see that I'm going to be slow at this and probably change course depending on finding just the right overall theme for the build. It would sure be nice if ordered parts could get here in less than a week to 10 days! It's waiting for these "little but important" parts when your all ready to go that is a real bummer. My theme is getting clearer though.

sp8ctre likes this.
  13. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    My first had a specific purpose in mind. I wanted a David Gilmour Strat for less than $5K so I built one. His tech built his from parts just like we do.
    After the Gilmour Black Strat I built a Gilmour Red Strat...totally different beast. Then I built the perfect one for me...the Olympic White I've shown you!

I may try and finish my Gilmour run with a Les Paul Goldtop with Bigsby and a Telecaster/Broadcaster. I have to look into his gear some more...

14. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    I have finally made the decision on the "theme" for this partscaster. I've even anointed it with an appropriate name. All parts to do this are now on order and all I have to do is wait for their arrival and then put it all together. No disclosure on my theme yet because it may be a complete dud! I think it's a novel approach, but being "artistic" is not my forte...this is fun, but I think I'm going outside of my comfort zone on this. We'll see. At least I'm confident of the performance part!!

sp8ctre and Groovey like this.
  15. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Very fun!! I watch this thread with great enjoyment.

sp8ctre likes this.
  16. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    Yeah, this is fun! I've certainly learned some good lessons on what NOT to do with this type of a project, however. First of all, you must thoroughly question all sellers about their parts concerning who made them, will they really fit your application, and overall condition/quality. I guess "trust but verify" is the lesson learned. Secondly, plastic parts that are labelled to be a certain color seldom match another part with the same color name regardless of the pictures shown on the listings! This applies to plastic parts like pickguards, trem covers, knobs, etc. But I think I have that all figured out now. AND, one must allow for long times for parts to be shipped and arrive at your location. It seems it's always the "key part" that comes the latest! Oh well, again this really is fun, and I guess learning and waiting is all part of the game. Gosh, what am I griping about....at my age I'm really not in a real hurry for anything!

Groovey likes this.
  17. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ill admit i havent read the entire thread...but i had to stop here and quote you.
    dude....you spent all those years doing all that stuff.....let me predict the future..........youre gonna build the baddest ass guitar any of us have ever seen and its gonna be SO awesome that we will all be jealous of how awesome it is.
    thats what i think.

18. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    Gee, thanks for that great vote of confidence!! I am humbled! Now I am really under pressure to succeed (lol). I hope I can put together something unique that really sounds and plays awesome. But the "artistic/visual" part is my biggest challenge!

Groovey and sp8ctre like this.
  19. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    Well...the artistic visual part is a challenge on a Stratocaster, because in the end they all look quite the same. Unless you do an outlandish paint job like the Hendrix Monterrey Strat or the Clapton SG....

The neck I chose for mine is really the only thing that sets it apart looks wise...

20. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    I have a friend who is an exceptional artist and specializes in the wild/glamorous paint jobs on custom motorcycles and cars. He could really do a "creative" job for me on the guitar body (it might include a few skulls and bullet holes), but the cost is just too steep for me for this project, and I actually like the Oly White that is on the body now. Yeah, it will look like a Strat, but maybe just a tad bit different?

sp8ctre likes this.