Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Advice on Strat Purchase - weight?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by cyra, Nov 12, 2017.

1. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    I have noy yet made a purchase. I was at the point where I was going to call Sweetwater and ask for some better resolution pictures of the Tobacco Sunburst models they had in stock. Thinking I only needed to decide on which grain structure I preferred. Then the weight disparity reared it's head and thanks to the kind help from members of this forum I have another element to factor into the decision. I definitely want to get the lightest weight possible. The purchase will most likely be made late next week or the following one. I'll pass on the results.

T Guitar Floyd and johnnymg like this.
  2. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    Thanks, for the recommendation. I did not know a "Lite" version of the Les Paul was out there. I took a look at the black Les Paul Custom Lite they offered at their web site and it is gorgeous. A Les Paul was one of the electrics that interested me but in the end the the strat won me over.

Cheers!

3. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    In for a penny in for a pound, thanks for wishing me luck.

Cheers!

Bob the builder likes this.
  4. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

Every time I go looking for another guitar, I start with some idea of what I want, usually based on color, specs, model, etc. Then I start playing lots of guitars. Then I buy something completely different b/c one of them really spoke to me. For example, I wanted a white strat with a maple board and vintage bridge and V-neck a few years ago. So I ended up with a sonic blue, C-neck, rosewood board, and two-point bridge. It just sounded and played wonderfully. At least I walked out with a Strat. ;)

The point is, if grain structure is important to you, go for it. I'm a fan of having whatever emotional connection to your instrument(s) that you feel you need. On the other hand, you might want to just start playing a bunch of different guitars before picking one. I probably went through 30-40 strats before finding the sonic blue one.

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I just scanned through Sweetwaters inventory and was surprised to see that all of their Elites were 'heavyweights'. :confused: I'm not sure what the deal is regarding the weights................ the current ones are borderline boat anchors. :whistling:

What you should do is contact their sales dept and tell them what you're looking for in terms of colors and weight limits. They might/should give you a heads up when one comes in.

Here's a link to Wildwoods Elite collection................ they are similarly 'heavy' (IMO):
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-usa/american-elite/

6. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Lightest weight possible is very smart! At 70, I'm still playing every day and of my 3 Strats, the one I enjoy picking up and playing the longest (strapped on) is the Squier CV '50s. At 6 1/2 lbs it is more fun than my US 7 1/2 pounder . . . even though that's not too bad. My MIM is 7 lbs even and I play that w/band on weekends. Those boat anchors are hard to play even sitting down as they'll make my leg go numb. :(

Tim S and johnnymg like this.
  7. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    I like 7 - 7.5 pounds and evenly weighted (not heavy towards neck or body).

> 8 lbs is too heavy for me but I'm not you. :D

johnnymg likes this.
  8. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    I have a CS Strat that weighs just a hair over 7 pounds, and a 1979 Strat that weighs 10.

They both sound good.

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I get it. I went looking at tele's and ended up coming home with a lp. You never know

knh555 likes this.
  10. altar

altar Former Member

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Does your last name happen to be Rockefeller?

11. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    The choice of grain structure on an electric, is in my understanding, cosmetic in regards to electric guitars. You make a solid point, one which I thoroughly agree, to try on as many as possible to find a "best fit" . However, time constraints play a part in this decision.

Cheers!

12. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yeah.. my mates got an old 70's Strat 'anchor' that weighs in at 12.95lb, and that's just the neck. If he bolts it to the body he has to lay on the floor and play it with a bow... :eek:

13. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    I contacted my Sweetwater rep asking what options were available. My rep indicated they could not order a specific weight. This concurs with a call to Fender asking if I could request a specific weight If I purchased from them. Apparently Fender does not weight the guitars when they ship them in batches to distributors. If Fender were to open a box to weight the guitar after the fact, this would now be considered an "open box" guitar.

Not sure how I'm going to handle this. I'm sure the Sweetwater rep will let me know when a model that better suits my request arrive, but how long am I willing to wait? Back to my slide rule.

Cheers!

14. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    a
    Patience is a virtue we should all aspire too. I'll say this though.............. I think (for whatever reason) the Elites are porkers. No getting around it. I highly doubt you will find one approaching mid 7# levels.

15. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    This is an update to the query I initiated several months ago. I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on a 2017 Fender American Elite Stratocaster. Tobacco Sunburst & Maple Fretboard weighing in at 7lb 10 oz.

16. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2018
    Minnesota
    Congrats. You will love it and it WILL inspire you to play it. Just try and prove me wrong;).

cyra likes this.
  17. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Big congrats.

Post pics when you get it.

18. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Which weighs more? A 9lb Strat or a 9lb Les Paul?

(My lower back would take the lighter Strat)

19. cyra

cyra Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Havana Florida
    First thanks to everyone who commented on my earlier queries. I thought it best to follow generally observed process for of posting pics in a new NGD thread, so one will follow shortly.