Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Advice on upgrading my Classic Vibe 50’s Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Archangelmm, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Strat-Talk Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I have a Squire Classic Vibe 50’s Strat and would like to do some upgrades.
    I was considering upgrading the pups to the Fishman Fluence Strat pups, the kit comes with all the wiring and pots but only 1 push/pull control, should I upgrade the other 2 controls? I would like to put in the better quality American Strat parts but when I called Fender and asked about upgrading my Squire with Fender American parts the rep just said Fender does not recommend or advise I do that??????
    I would like to upgrade the bridge w/trem and steel bent saddles, block - Brass, steel or something else? I have a maple neck if this matters, 5 way blade, tuners to locking, nut, string tree to roller string tree and Input jack. I was kind of taken back by Fender not seeming too interested in helping. Should I try Guitar Fetish, Warmouth, Stew MAC or onother company? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Michael

Vjerilood likes this.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Most of the USA parts will not fit on the import guitars (Japan, China, Mexico, Etc). With saddle replacement you have to make sure the spacing is the same. Tuners sometimes require the holes to be reamed larger. Then there is the issue of metric vs imperial in the parts. I had a problem getting an Oak Grigsby switch to fit in my CVC Tele a few years ago. The cavity was not deep enough and the bottom of the switch hit it although the body was the same thickness as a USA Tele they did not route the cavity as deep since the import switches are boxes and don't go as deep.

Also Fender would much rather you buy a new guitar than have you upgrade yours. That is why the sell them as REPLACEMENT parts not upgrade parts. More money for them.

MrHooligan, Archangelmm and mechanic like this.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Really?? To me a Classic Vibe is so good NOTHING needs upgrading....maybe a bigger tremolo block....that's it...

You will take a guitar that is worth like $250-300 used....and put like $500 into it....and it will be worth $250-300 used....

4. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    I agree! I take mine to the gig, plug it in and play! Sounds as good as my other (US & MIM) Strats. :cool:

5. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Tuners. They are ok, but I have had 2 go bad and slip. Standard vintage tuners fit right in with no modification.

Archangelmm likes this.

6. Archangelmm

Jun 13, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I know but I am not ever planning on selling this guitar, it feels right, it is light and I would rather put $400-$500 into a guitar I already like and plan to keep to get it the way I want than spend the big money on a Pro or Elite Strat, and I would still be way under what they are asking for them.

7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You could buy an American Pro or Standard used for that kind of money.....the cost of your CV + the upgrades....

The pickups to me in the Classic Vibe though as just as good as the high end USA Fender pickups....

I honestly think you'll put all that money in and be disappointed....

Stratoskater and Archangelmm like this.

8. Archangelmm

Jun 13, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I like these Classic Vibes so much, I plan on getting the Tele next, they are a great value.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

9. Archangelmm

Jun 13, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    You have a great point and I appreciate your advice, I am still learning, maybe I should consider a good used American Strat to add to my collection, I know there are plenty available used.

Stratoskater and T Guitar Floyd like this.

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    JMO............ there is nothing that needs upgrading on the CV 50/60. If you're "just learning" then the CV will NOT hold you back. It's every bit as "good" as an Am Standard. FWIW, I actually prefer the tones from my CV 60's to my American Standard's.

Now, if you want a different tone then that's a different story. If the tone isn't to your liking then I'd suggest you ether sell/trade the guitar or replace the entire pickguard.

11. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    There are two things id suggest, and to me they are mandatory. First, the trem. Or at the very least the block. GFS makes some complete trems that will fit it with either steel block or zinc, but the important thing is to get rid of that tiny block. They DO absolutely hold them back to some degree. A LOT to my ear, but in any case it is the only real detractor of tone on these guitars. They sound plinky by comparison with a full size bock. GFS also sells the block alone. The info is all there about which will fit. Or you can just buy a MIM standard trem which will fit the classic vibe and has a full size block. It's zinc but with maple neck strats i find steel isn't as necassary to get the best tone as it is with rosewood neck strats.

Second thing is the 5 way switch. Those asian ones are garbage and most of them go bad often in a very short time. So I'd replace that.

Personally i replace it all. Trem, pots, switch and pickups because once you do that it'll be more reliable and tonally be able to hang with nearly any strat, even AVRI. I put a set of tex mex in my 50's (mainly because i find A3 pickups don't sound good in strats to my ear) along with CTS pots and american switch and a USA spec trem. Tho you don't wanna do the latter, as it requires redrilling the trem mounting holes. I just happened to have one on hand and i prefer USA string spacing so i redrilled for that. But in any case, i'd definately upgrade the trem or trem block and the switch.

Archangelmm likes this.

12. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Think you hit the nail on the head when you say "to my ear". Everyone hears differently and that's why we have these endless tone quest posts and threads on the internet. I was planning on changing my bridge and block . . . I have a MIM bridge with full size block that would fit the same hole spacing. I still might do that, but the guitar plays and sounds so good as is, that I just haven't gotten around to it. Someone else, a while back complained about a narrow block breaking or cracking, but I've never experienced that. Who knows? To each his own, but I love the pickups in my Squier.

Archangelmm likes this.

13. Traitor Joe

Traitor Joe Strat-Talk Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Riverside, CA
    The absolute best way for you to spend money on your already awesome guitar is to take it to a good luthier and get it set up properly. Have them dress the frets and everything. I personally had my trem blocked but a good luthier will be able to make the trem stay in tune (within reason) or whatever you want.

Hands down the best way to spend money on your guitar right now.

EDIT: okay so it took me a while to post this... had it up at work and posted it hours after I started... Thought this was a NGD post so your guitar may well already be well set up. If that's the case, all I can say is that I've had great experiences with GuitarFetish.com all around. Great service, inexpensive as heck, never done me wrong.

Archangelmm likes this.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    All of this ^^^^^^^

I dropped a Standard MIM Fender bridge ($20 on Amazon) in my CV '50s (just because I wanted a heavier block) and have done nothing else other than a setup and fret level. It is a great guitar, and needs no upgrades. Replacing the excellent Alnico pickups with other alnico pickups is an exercise in futility.

You can replace the pots and switch if you want to, doesn't cost much, but why not wait until they go bad? My CV is a 2009 model, 8 years old, and the original electronics are still working ok, but the volume pot is getting sratchy, so I'm about at the point of replacing the pots and switch.

There is seriously no reason to replace the pickups though. The CV's use very high quality alnico pickups which are as good as anything on the market today. Don't get caught up in brand name hype.

15. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I️ have two CV 60’s and love them as they are. I’m with Johnnymg on this one. If you want a completely different guitar “ sound” and like the CV, get another guitar and keep the CV. That would be the best of both worlds. If something is defective then replace it.

Archangelmm and johnnymg like this.

16. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    What don’t you like about it as it is?

17. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY

GM, I'm a bit late for this conversation, but I totally agree.

I'm on the hunt for a CV60 down in Philly. $170. Greatest deal ever. But I don't have the time to run down there. Weekends are booked for the next two months. :(

I can't post the CL link because of my newbie status. ha ha

Archangelmm likes this.

18. McNeish

McNeish Strat-Talk Member

Jan 19, 2016
    UK
    +1 for a pro set up and replacement import spec trem block - cheap and easy. Also, if its a two tone sunburst replace the PG with a mint green one. Love that combo.

Archangelmm likes this.

19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    I'm unsure of the electrics in the 50s/60s Strat's, but as for the pickups they are Tonerider's - something I wouldn't change out as they are great IMO.

Archangelmm likes this.